News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Should the I-80 WB exit of 294 be eliminated?

Started by dvferyance, May 26, 2016, 10:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Now that there is an interchange at I-57/294 I think that makes the I-80 WB exit off of 294 redundant and unnecessary. As far as I can see the only traffic that would still use it is anyone who got on 294 at US 6 and even there it would make more sense to keep going west and get on I-57 instead and take that to I-80 to avoid paying a toll. Anyone who missed the I-57 exit. Or anyone who doesn't have I Pass who doesn't want to go through the hassle of paying a toll online. Other than that I see no need for this exit anymore. I am sure since the opening of the I-57 exit traffic counts on this ramp are pitifully low. I think removing it would make sense but perhaps there is some other factor out there I don't know about.

ET21

That is reasonable. The only reason it wouldn't be is if Kedzie ever became a full access interchange where people would need that ramp.

As long as the roads can handle the traffic all using I-57 to get to I-80 west, then go for it.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SEWIGuy

I tend to think its usually good policy to have full interchanges at all interstate intersections.  If you rebuild the interchange it might be something to consider.  But removing it?  I think that might create more issues than it would solve.

froggie

QuoteI tend to think its usually good policy to have full interchanges at all interstate intersections.

Nevermind that it's also FHWA standard policy these days.  You have to get a waiver (and have a damn good reason) to not build a full interchange along an Interstate.

dvferyance

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2016, 12:24:54 PM
QuoteI tend to think its usually good policy to have full interchanges at all interstate intersections.

Nevermind that it's also FHWA standard policy these days.  You have to get a waiver (and have a damn good reason) to not build a full interchange along an Interstate.
The I-77/I-90 interchange in Cleveland was recently downgraded to a partial interchange. The EB to SB and NB to WB movements were redundant due to the nearby and shorter route to get to and from them with I-490.

Rick Powell

Quote from: dvferyance on May 26, 2016, 10:54:39 AM
Now that there is an interchange at I-57/294 I think that makes the I-80 WB exit off of 294 redundant and unnecessary. As far as I can see the only traffic that would still use it is anyone who got on 294 at US 6 and even there it would make more sense to keep going west and get on I-57 instead and take that to I-80 to avoid paying a toll. Anyone who missed the I-57 exit. And Anyone who doesn't have I Pass who doesn't want to go through the hassle of paying a toll online. Other than that I see no need for this exit anymore. I am sure since the opening of the I-57 exit traffic counts on this ramp are pitifully low. I think removing it would make sense but perhaps there is some other factor out there I don't know about.

Main issue is that there is currently not a NB I-294 to SB I-57 movement at the new interchange which would accommodate westward travelers on I-80 via 294 and 57.  Even if it were added...I made lots of trips from NW Indiana within the last several years, and I live west of Joliet off of I-80. I suppose it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience, but it would have me probably paying an extra toll to stay on the route, so I'd rather keep it the way it is just for that reason along with the extra 3 miles of out of direction travel.

IDOT AADT map says there are still 80k to 95k travelers on I-80 between I-57 and I-294 junction, with the new interchange in place.  You could figure about half of that to be westbounders from the 294 junction.  That's a lot of travelers to displace at a new location.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 26, 2016, 01:13:00 PM
Now that there is an interchange at I-57/294 I think that makes the I-80 WB exit off of 294 redundant and unnecessary. As far as I can see the only traffic that would still use it is anyone who got on 294 at US 6 and even there it would make more sense to keep going west and get on I-57 instead and take that to I-80 to avoid paying a toll. Anyone who missed the I-57 exit. And Anyone who doesn't have I Pass who doesn't want to go through the hassle of paying a toll online. Other than that I see no need for this exit anymore. I am sure since the opening of the I-57 exit traffic counts on this ramp are pitifully low. I think removing it would make sense but perhaps there is some other factor out there I don't know about.

Main issue is that there is currently not a NB I-294 to SB I-57 movement at the new interchange which would accommodate westward travelers on I-80 via 294 and 57.  Even if it were added...I made lots of trips from NW Indiana within the last several years, and I live west of Joliet off of I-80. I suppose it wouldn't be much of an inconvenience, but it would have me probably paying an extra toll to stay on the route, so I'd rather keep it the way it is just for that reason along with the extra 3 miles of out of direction travel.

IDOT AADT map says there are still 80k to 95k travelers on I-80 between I-57 and I-294 junction, with the new interchange in place.  You could figure about half of that to be westbounders from the 294 junction.  That's a lot of travelers to displace at a new location.

My anecdotal experience is that it is way less than half the traffic goes westbound at that junction.  I would say 20% at most.

Revive 755

Now that there is an interchange at I-57/294 I think that makes the I-80 WB exit off of 294 redundant and unnecessary.

What is wrong with having a little redundancy in the system for getting around accidents and whatever future reconstruction projects may be in the works on I-57?  One of these years IDOT will probably have to do something with the bridges on/over I-57 between I-80 and I-294.

captkirk_4

Now that there is an interchange at I-57/294 I think that makes the I-80 WB exit off of 294 redundant and unnecessary. As far as I can see the only traffic that would still use it is anyone who got on 294 at US 6 and even there it would make more sense to keep going west and get on I-57 instead and take that to I-80 to avoid paying a toll. Anyone who missed the I-57 exit. Or anyone who doesn't have I Pass who doesn't want to go through the hassle of paying a toll online. Other than that I see no need for this exit anymore. I am sure since the opening of the I-57 exit traffic counts on this ramp are pitifully low. I think removing it would make sense but perhaps there is some other factor out there I don't know about.

How about people who don't like in the Chicago area and don't have the stupid microchip for the "electronics only" exit they made on a major regional Interstate exit and want to head south on I-57? I understand having electronics on local exits for locals who can get their microchips implanted in their cars or whatever, but a lot of long distance travel is going to be coming down and wanting to use that exit to head south so can't they have a booth, or at least a machine that takes coins and bills like the Indiana tollway?

kphoger

As far as I can see the only traffic that would still use it is anyone who got on 294 at US 6 and even there it would make more sense to keep going west and get on I-57 instead and take that to I-80 to avoid paying a toll.

Now let's imagine that the ramp from EB I-294 to SB I-57 (or even the mainline of SB I-57 between 294 and 80) has a wreck or needs road work done on it.  As it is now, all 294-to-57 traffic can be diverted to use the ramp in question to get back over to I-57via I-80.  Remove the redundancy, and that's no longer an option.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 28, 2016, 11:46:57 AM
How about people who don't like in the Chicago area and don't have the stupid microchip for the "electronics only" exit they made on a major regional Interstate exit and want to head south on I-57? I understand having electronics on local exits for locals who can get their microchips implanted in their cars or whatever, but a lot of long distance travel is going to be coming down and wanting to use that exit to head south so can't they have a booth, or at least a machine that takes coins and bills like the Indiana tollway?
This is a crazy idea, but what if you didn't have one of those "microchips implanted in your car" but could still go through the open electronic toll booth and either get billed in the mail based on your vehicle's license plate/registration or be able to pay that toll online within 7 days without penalty?

https://goo.gl/maps/e286Vr8XMCz
https://goo.gl/maps/BVxiK9225q12

That would be crazy, but it just might work.

dvferyance

That was the only argument I made that justified keeping this ramp in place.

SSOWorld

Quote from: dvferyance on May 28, 2016, 10:24:28 PM

Welcome to the future, where everything is electronic and toll agencies don't give a shit about cash.  Nonetheless - whether or not it's electronic only - it's still an alternate route for the I-80 ramps and vice-versa.   You do have 7 days to pay cash rate online (just remember the ramp you took because ISTHA doesn't for you.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 29, 2016, 08:54:45 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on May 28, 2016, 10:24:28 PM

Welcome to the future, where everything is electronic and toll agencies don't give a shit about cash.  Nonetheless - whether or not it's electronic only - it's still an alternate route for the I-80 ramps and vice-versa.   You do have 7 days to pay cash rate online (just remember the ramp you took because ISTHA doesn't for you.)

As the old saying goes... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

SEWIGuy

Fast forward five years, and a new topic here would be:

"Why did they eliminate the I-80 WB of 294?"

DevalDragon

Don't forget about the traffic that gets on at 159th street that need to get to I-80 West or I-57 South.

Take that ramp away and they have a long detour!

I-39

Quote from: froggie on May 26, 2016, 12:24:54 PM

Yet, the new O'Hare West Bypass (I-490) won't have ramps to and from the north on I-294.

I-39

Main issue is that there is currently not a NB I-294 to SB I-57 movement at the new interchange which would accommodate westward travelers on I-80 via 294 and 57.

I thought they weren't adding a NB I-294 to SB I-57 ramp, do you mean NB I-294 to NB I-57?

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on June 20, 2016, 11:14:52 PM
Main issue is that there is currently not a NB I-294 to SB I-57 movement at the new interchange which would accommodate westward travelers on I-80 via 294 and 57.

I thought they weren't adding a NB I-294 to SB I-57 ramp, do you mean NB I-294 to NB I-57?

I thought ITHSA and IDOT were working on that, but it's going to come "later"

Super Mateo

Quote from: DevalDragon on June 20, 2016, 11:01:04 PM
Don't forget about the traffic that gets on at 159th street that need to get to I-80 West or I-57 South.

No, they don't. 159th has its own ramp to I-57 south about one mile to the west. For I-80 west, they can use I-57 south or turn south on Kedzie for one mile. None of these are long detours.

dvferyance

Quote from: Super Mateo on June 22, 2016, 08:35:35 AM
Quote from: DevalDragon on June 20, 2016, 11:01:04 PM

No, they don't. 159th has its own ramp to I-57 south about one mile to the west. For I-80 west, they can use I-57 south or turn south on Kedzie for one mile. None of these are long detours.
Further more that way would make far more sense anyways because you end up having to pay a toll on I-294.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.