News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois budget and road work

Started by quickshade, June 10, 2016, 01:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quickshade

http://foxillinois.com/news/local/road-construction-projects-at-risk-without-a-budget-06-10-2016

Don't mean to get all political up in here but maybe it's time Illinois politicians actually do something besides sitting around on vacation for the summer. Or are we just going to keep kicking the can and hope for the best here?

8.Lug

Does Illinois ever pass its budget on time? Not trying to judge or anything, my home state of NY never gets theirs passed on time either, but just seems like par for the course.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

Rothman

Quote from: 8.Lug on June 10, 2016, 03:46:33 AM
Does Illinois ever pass its budget on time? Not trying to judge or anything, my home state of NY never gets theirs passed on time either, but just seems like par for the course.

Budget's been passed the closest it's ever been to being on time the past couple of years, actually.  NY used to have a horrible track record on getting the budget passed on time, but that's been mostly rectified.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Since projects are put out to bid and already funded, a lack of a budget on July 1 doesn't really mean those projects will shut down.  The money's already been accounted for.

New projects may not be able to get their bids accepted, but that's a bit different.

It's also a coalition, which is basically just trying to seek some media attention. Their word is about as useful as something that's Facebook Official.

johndoe780

IDOT is already being funded due to consent decrees and whatnot.

Notice it says "business coalition."  Secretary of transportation even said himself that a budget won't do anything, althought it could increase the number of projects if bonds are sold, and I believe Rauner is trying to sell $500 million bonds next week.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2016, 08:28:28 AM
Since projects are put out to bid and already funded, a lack of a budget on July 1 doesn't really mean those projects will shut down.  The money's already been accounted for.

New projects may not be able to get their bids accepted, but that's a bit different.

It's also a coalition, which is basically just trying to seek some media attention. Their word is about as useful as something that's Facebook Official.
also the toll road stuff should be safe as well.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on June 10, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 10, 2016, 08:28:28 AM

also the toll road stuff should be safe as well.

Yes, the tollway has an entirely separate funding mechanism,.

quickshade

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/illinois/illinois-roadwork-projects-at-risk-in-budget-standoff/article_9fbeb13b-b782-56f9-bc4c-2f7186706a52.html

IDOT chief Randy Blankenhorn said this is a real issue. I'm sure it's mostly politics but because no budget was sent to the governor this year I believe we actually will get a freeze on state spending because of that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.