News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-75 Rouge River Bridge deck replacement 2017-2018

Started by wanderer2575, November 18, 2016, 11:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

It wouldn't be a construction season in metro Detroit without a major freeway closure, and the winner for the next two years will be southbound I-75 in the Downriver communities.  MDOT will be replacing the decks on the bridge carrying I-75 over the Rouge River, the largest bridge in Michigan as measured by concrete surface area.  This work is badly needed; the bridge deck is notorious for bad pavement and huge potholes (a 15-foot by 6-foot beauty popped open earlier this year).

When the northbound deck is replaced in 2018, traffic will be shifted to the southbound side while southbound traffic remains detoured.  More than a dozen other bridges will be replaced or repaired during these two years while the carriageways are closed.

The official posted detour for commercial traffic will be westbound I-96 in downtown Detroit to southbound I-275 in Livonia to rejoin southbound I-75 north of Monroe.  The ramp from west I-96 to south I-275 is a slow, one-lane loop ramp that is sure to wreak havoc on I-96 traffic approaching the I-275/M-14 interchange.  (This was part of the posted detour when southbound I-275 was closed this year, and it wasn't pretty.)

Story at http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2016/11/18/repairs-close-southbound--75-downriver-next-year/94073886/

Project website at http://www.75rougeriver.com/

quickshade

2 years is a long time for removing concrete and replacing a deck but I guess the size of the project I get it.

thenetwork

I'm surprised that the Free Press article above doesn't even mention M-39/Southfield Road (Freeway) as an alternate route for either commercial or passenger vehicle traffic. Or is the I-75 project involving the Southfield Road exit as well?

tdindy88

I'm curious, is there a reason the detour doesn't use I-94 instead of I-96 to get to I-275?

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on November 19, 2016, 06:50:52 PM
I'm surprised that the Free Press article above doesn't even mention M-39/Southfield Road (Freeway) as an alternate route for either commercial or passenger vehicle traffic. Or is the I-75 project involving the Southfield Road exit as well?

It's because Southfield Road meets I-75 north of the main work area.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

wanderer2575

Not an option.  I-75 south will still be closed at that point for replacement of the bridges over Goddard Road and the Sexton/Kilfoil Drain, which are south of M-39.  It appears the earliest point any traffic will be able to re-access I-75 south is at the entrance ramp from Allen Road.

wanderer2575

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 19, 2016, 07:12:43 PM
I'm curious, is there a reason the detour doesn't use I-94 instead of I-96 to get to I-275?

My guess is because I-94 between I-75 and US-12 (Michigan Avenue) has substandard-height bridges.  The official posted detour has to accommodate all commercial traffic, and MDOT rarely if ever posts separate car and truck detours.  But certainly plenty of traffic will be using I-94 as their alternate route.

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 19, 2016, 07:32:05 PM

Not an option.  I-75 south will still be closed at that point for replacement of the bridges over Goddard Road and the Sexton/Kilfoil Drain, which are south of M-39.  It appears the earliest point any traffic will be able to re-access I-75 south is at the entrance ramp from Allen Road.

That's what I thought.  Thankx!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.