News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

End of the Horizontal Light [WI]

Started by Zmapper, July 26, 2011, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zmapper

I've noticed just looking around with Google Earth that new traffic light installations in the Milwaukee area are mounted vertically on the mast arm. Does that mean that the unique Wisconsin traffic signal layout is coming to an end?  X-( Or is it just a project specific design?

Revive 755

Yes, Wisconsin seems to have abandoned the horizontal signal for vertical signals with oversized mast arms and poles.  There seems to be enough of the new design to indicate a design change rather than a design used for a single project.

Alps

Unique? Get out a bit :P NJ is full of horizontal signals and NY has plenty in urban areas, among other places. I find it interesting that the MUTCD allows either horizontal or vertical without expressing a preference (unless I missed the reference this morning).

tchafe1978

I thought I read once on WisDOT's website that it preferred the horizontal signals over the traffic lanes because 1.it gives more vertical clearance and 2.they only needed to put one signal over the lanes. They must've changed their stance.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Steve on July 26, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
Unique? Get out a bit :P NJ is full of horizontal signals and NY has plenty in urban areas, among other places. I find it interesting that the MUTCD allows either horizontal or vertical without expressing a preference (unless I missed the reference this morning).

Quebec also use horizontal signal with squared red and yellow losange for the color blind
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_vogel/3868478152/
it's also used in parts of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
recently some traffic lights like this one at Gatineau near Ottawa have a different shape
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1162679917056613862ghMgLq

Didn't Texas also used horizontal lights in some areas as well?

JREwing78

I'm certainly seeing the tendency in Madison, Janesville, and elsewhere to go to at least one vertical light for each lane now instead of using the horizontal lights. It's probably still cheaper to run now that LED lights appear to also be in regular use.

rickmastfan67

Here's one in Pittsburgh, PA.  Don't know of any others off the top of my head around here.

mgk920

ISTR that the latest MUTCD requires that there be a signal head over each lane in overhead installations and yes, I am starting to see quite a few 'FIB-style' signals here in the Appleton area, too.  OTOH, the City of Green Bay has been doing the 'one head over each lane' thing for a long time, but their signal heads are horizontal.

And yes, they just don't look right...

Grrrrrr.....

Mike

on_wisconsin

^^
I believe that new requirement is only for an intersection that has a road whose speed limit is over 40 or 45 mph.
Non WisDOT signal installations are still in the traditional style in the southwest region from what I've seen so far.

Just be happy span wire assemblies are still banned from permanent use here...
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Chicagosuburban

There are horizontal signals everywhere that there is an underpass right next to the traffic light so the people behind the underpass can see the whole traffic light.
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

twinsfan87

I was at an ITE (Institute of Transportation Engineers) Wisconsin Chapter seminar a couple years ago and someone from WisDOT said that they were indeed switching over to vertical signals mounted on a monotube-style pole for all new and reconstructed signal installations on state-maintained highways. County and local roadways don't need to follow this standard, though.

Madison recently installed horizontal signals on a monotube pole at University Ave/Midvale Blvd (on the EB through signal only, go figure... the rest of the reconstructed signals still used the trombone arm setup) but has been using the up-until-now typical WisDOT horizontal signal configuration. The new signals at the reconstructed US 12/14/18/151 (Park St) interchange use WisDOT's new setup because it's on a state-maintained road.

Marc

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 26, 2011, 08:43:30 PM
Didn't Texas also used horizontal lights in some areas as well?

Texas uses horizontal signals in every city I can think of except San Antonio and Amarillo.

ftballfan

I found exactly two horizontal signals in Michigan (M-6 EB to Kalamazoo Ave NB and M-6 WB to Kalamazoo Ave SB)

Brian556

Horizontal signals are the standard in Texas. TxDot and most cities follow the standard. Strangely, The TxDot Ft Worth District deviates from the standard and mounts all of it's signals vertically. Older signals in Dallas that were installed in the 1960's are vertical, all their new asemblies have horizontal heads.

roadman65

Quote from: Brian556 on August 02, 2011, 05:43:26 PM
Horizontal signals are the standard in Texas. TxDot and most cities follow the standard. Strangely, The TxDot Ft Worth District deviates from the standard and mounts all of it's signals vertically. Older signals in Dallas that were installed in the 1960's are vertical, all their new asemblies have horizontal heads.

I have seen vertical mounted signal heads in the San Antonio area.  Unless they changed them since I was there in 97, but they were used even in suburbs as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

M86

I've always disliked the Wisconsin traffic signal (It's very distinct).  Texas is a bit different than Wisconsin. Texas will mount the signals in horizontal fashion... but a typical setup (and have yellow outer which I hate... I love a standard black everything with backplates).  Wisconsin has a unique standard.  Google Streetview is your friend. :)

The High Plains Traveler

Unless I speed-read too speedily, no one has mentioned that the horizontal signal is also standard for New Mexico. The bulk of the state uses an angled monotube-type crossarm while Albuquerque has something that looks more like a perfectly horizontal truss, with the signal head installed between the two members.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

corco

on_wisconsin

More Proof

WIS 113/ Northport Drive at Sherman Ave in Madison
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SSOWorld

I've seen them being put up along WIS 100 in Milwaukee and are on the books to go up along E Washington St near the interstates in Madison.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

took some more excursions - this time around Green Bay, Appleton and Oshkosh.  Green Bay has a couple of the new sets (including one on Oneida and Lombardi right on the corner of the Lambeau Field parking lot), plus a couple where there is reconstruction of US 41 taking place.  Oshkosh has at least one - near US 41 on the WIS 26 interchange.  More and more are popping up in the Milwaukee metro.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Crazy Volvo Guy

This is pretty disappointing.  The WI traffic lights are/were my favorite installations in the nation aside from the standard curved mast arms in CA, AZ and UT.

Yet another good, unique thing in the world bites the dust in favor of mindless uniformity... -sigh-
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

mgk920

Quote from: Master son on December 18, 2011, 08:42:29 PM
took some more excursions - this time around Green Bay, Appleton and Oshkosh.  Green Bay has a couple of the new sets (including one on Oneida and Lombardi right on the corner of the Lambeau Field parking lot), plus a couple where there is reconstruction of US 41 taking place.  Oshkosh has at least one - near US 41 on the WIS 26 interchange.  More and more are popping up in the Milwaukee metro.

Here in the Appleton area, they are at the US 41 interchange ramps at College Ave (WI 125), also on College Ave around WI 441 on the city's east side.  WisDOT also installed them on every signalized intersection along the recently rebuilt part of Wisconsin Ave (WI 96) east of Richmond St (WI 47) across Appleton's north side last summer.

Mike

SSOWorld

The light assemblies actually haven't changed as far as setups are concerned - one right at stop line on right (and left if median), one on left side of road/median and the mast arm from the right side.  The only difference is the mast arm is Illinois styled with 1 vertical light per lane.

For multiple lane protected lefts, I've also seen masts from the median going the opposing way with one vertical light per left turn lane.

E Washington Ave around the East Towne Mall in Mad-town will be getting these assemblies as well.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

DaBigE

WisDOT has indeed changed their standards to monotube-mounted, vertically-orientated signals.  The traditional trombone arm mounts will remain in the Standard Spec book for the time being, as it is possible to mount a maximum of two vertical signal assemblies on them, but the signals will not be horizontally-mounted at any new installations.  All WisDOT-installed signals will use the massive http://roadwaystandards.dot.wi.gov/standards/fdm/SDD/09e08.pdf, new monotubes, while municipalities are allowed to use their own design standards.  It will take a long time for all of the existing intersections to be upgraded, but the horizontal mount will be going the way of the dinosaurs.

Also, per another discussion I had with the State signal engineer, the near-right (stopbar) signal pole will eventually become optional.  Another revolution, is that the doghouse style signal is rumored to be fair-game as well sometime in the near future.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.