News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana highway reroutes

Started by silverback1065, June 13, 2012, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Does anyone know of any highways that have been decommissioned or rerouted in Indiana recently?  I've heard that US 12/20 in downtown Gary might be rerouted, is this true?  I try to research this myself online, but information is hard to come by. 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tdindy88

SR 238 and SR 334 in suburban Indianapolis.

mukade

SR 431 was also decommissioned.

On the plus side, SR 4 was extended a mile west to the new US 31 freeway. SR 931 is still scheduled to take over the old US 31 bypass in Kokomo next year. SR 641 will connect US 41 to I-70.

Some of SR 25 was rerouted on to the new route, and a lot more will be this year. US 24 will also be rerouted east of Fort Wayne later this year.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 13, 2012, 10:30:51 PM
Does anyone know of any highways that have been decommissioned or rerouted in Indiana recently?  I've heard that US 12/20 in downtown Gary might be rerouted, is this true?  I try to research this myself online, but information is hard to come by.

U.S. 12 and 20 in Gary will stay where they are for right now. As a matter of fact, work is set for a modernization project for 4th and 5th avenues (U.S. 12/20 west and east, respectively) designed to go into 2013. U.S. 12 was rerouted along U.S. 20 (5th Ave., where the road is two-way traffic) and Indiana 912 (Cline Avenue) to it's original location at Columbus Drive in 2004 when the stretch between Bridge and Bigger Street was closed for bridge replacement. The detour became permanent, and Industrial Highway/4th Avenue no longer had the U.S. 12 designation.

As for those I do know, U.S. 35 was decommissioned in Michigan City between U.S. 12 and the Indiana 212/U.S. 20 interchange about 4 miles away sometime in 2008.

While the "great decommissioning" in South Bend went down more than 10 years ago, trailblazers for Business U.S. 20 in South Bend and Mishawaka still existed as late as 2008. However, no map or exit signage shows U.S. 20 - business or otherwise - as existing.

EDIT: In advance of expansion at the Gary-Chicago Airport, Indiana 312 (Chicago Avenue) was truncated to have Cline Ave (Ind. 912) as its eastern terminus. The original terminus was three-quarters of a mile east at Industrial Highway (former U.S. 12). It makes sense, since U.S. 12 shares Cline Ave. from U.S. 20 (5th Ave.) to Columbus Drive/Industrial Highway (see above).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

silverback1065

Thanks a lot for the info. 

Does anyone have any idea why US 52 is going to be routed onto teal road in Lafayette (and later onto 231) along with SR25 and 26?  I don't get why they would full all of that through traffic for 3 highways all onto one road, especially US 52 and the semis that would use 52.

Also what exactly happened to 912? I read recently that INDOT was going to go forward on the Riley and Dickey road routing, now I'm hearing that that won't happen, the riley/dickey road idea seemed perfect, why the change?

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2012, 12:17:24 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. 

Does anyone have any idea why US 52 is going to be routed onto teal road in Lafayette (and later onto 231) along with SR25 and 26?  I don't get why they would full all of that through traffic for 3 highways all onto one road, especially US 52 and the semis that would use 52.

Also what exactly happened to 912? I read recently that INDOT was going to go forward on the Riley and Dickey road routing, now I'm hearing that that won't happen, the riley/dickey road idea seemed perfect, why the change?

They were going with the surface street rerouting, but a private firm stepped in to offer the replacement of the Cline Ave. span with a toll bridge to help recoup the costs. Now that the city of East Chicago and the firm reached a deal, it's waiting for INDOT to ink it.

INDOT was so close to moving with the surface street plan that East Chicago turned control of Riley and Dickey Road to INDOT. When the toll bridge idea gained traction, INDOT gave control of the streets back to East Chicago as part of this new deal.

NWI_Irish96

Not sure how far back qualifies as recently, but:

IN 131 in Clarksville was decommissioned in 2002.
IN 219 on the St. Joe/Elkhart county border was decommissioned in 1999, and IN 933 was truncated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

Does anyone know of any that are planned to be removed or rerouted soon?

nwi_navigator_1181

Outside of portions of U.S. 31 being rerouted for the expressway conversion (between South Bend and Indianapolis) and the conversion of Indiana 265 to I-265 sometime this decade (when the East End Ohio River Bridge Project is completed), there's nothing on the docket as of this time.

ssummers72

In Northwest Indiana:

IN-130 will be truncated to IN-149 in the next few years, INDOT and the city of Valparaiso came to an agreement that the city would take over Lincolnway(IN-130) in exchange for money to improve US-30 within the city.

So, IN-130 will go from US-6 in Hobart South and East and end at IN-149.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: ssummers72 on June 14, 2012, 07:28:26 PM
In Northwest Indiana:

IN-130 will be truncated to IN-149 in the next few years, INDOT and the city of Valparaiso came to an agreement that the city would take over Lincolnway (IN-130) in exchange for money to improve US-30 within the city.

So, IN-130 will go from US-6 in Hobart South and East and end at IN-149.

Really? I knew INDOT and the city of Valparaiso brokered a deal for U.S. 30 improvements, but I did not know that was one of the terms of the agreement. Interesting to see how that pans out. (Strangely enough, there was a proposal to extend Indiana 149 to U.S. 30, but was quickly shot down for logistic and environmental reasons.)

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2012, 07:15:03 PM
Does anyone know of any that are planned to be removed or rerouted soon?

Also, when I was last in Terre Haute, I did not see any SR 342 signs so I assume it was decommissioned.

As part of the new US 50 bypass in North Vernon that is now under construction, there will apparently soon be an SR 750 until the second half of the project is done.

As for SR 312, the part east of Cline Avenue was decommissioned years ago.

silverback1065

Thanks to all for the info.  Btw where are you guys getting this info?  I try to search online for it, but haven't had much luck. 

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 14, 2012, 11:27:59 PM
Thanks to all for the info.  Btw where are you guys getting this info?  I try to search online for it, but haven't had much luck.

No problem.

For me, I follow up on some transportation news on various local news sites. However, most of this stuff I find out just by driving (I didn't even know Indiana 312 had been truncated for years; I just found out about it last year). It doesn't pop up in plain sight; you just have to dig. Various DOT sites are good sources for information of this type.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on June 14, 2012, 07:23:58 PM
Outside of portions of U.S. 31 being rerouted for the expressway conversion (between South Bend and Indianapolis) and the conversion of Indiana 265 to I-265 sometime this century (when the East End Ohio River Bridge Project is completed), there's nothing on the docket as of this time.

Made that a bit more realistic there.

NWI_Irish96

http://www.highwayexplorer.com/IndianaHighwayList.php

This site hasn't been updated in a couple years, but it's pretty accurate for information about any changes up until then.

mukade

The INDOT web site and the major newspapers have information have a lot. Beyond that, I agree that it is mainly driving around.

silverback1065

What about US 231 in southern Indiana?  How were the state routes rerouted after the part from i-64 to the ohio river was completed?

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 17, 2012, 12:48:13 AM
What about US 231 in southern Indiana?  How were the state routes rerouted after the part from i-64 to the ohio river was completed?

Except for a very short section in Dale itself, they weren't. SR 68 lost about half a mile to end at the new bypass and SR 62 goes west through Dale to the bypass, but at the south end of town, it is still on the same route as before. Similar to SR 68, SR 70 was truncated by about half a mile to end at the new road which runs east of the old one there. Both SR 66 and SR 162 have an interchange with new US 231, but except for the improvements right at US 231, they stay on the same routing.

The section of SR 62 from Chrisney north to SR 62 and SR 70 through Chrisney were decommissioned.

Google Maps shows SR 62 following its original route through Dale and SR 68 ending at the center of town. Unless there was a recent change, that is not correct.

hbelkins

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 17, 2012, 12:48:13 AM

Did the decommissioning of IN 45 take place before the new bridge was built and US 231 rerouted, or afterwards?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

silverback1065

wait what? IN 45 was decommissioned too?

mukade

The old US 231 bridge and connecting highway became SR 161 several years ago. Way back in the olden days, it was SR 45.

silverback1065

does anyone know if indiana 57 will be decommissioned when i-69 is finished?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.