News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Photos of 2018:

Started by AsphaltPlanet, December 12, 2018, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

A thread for everyone's best road themed photos of the previous year.  I'd suggest about 3-5 photos per person for this thread, but if someone else has a more convincing argument for posting more, than I'm open to the group's consensus.

I'll add my contributions a little bit later on when I have some time to go through this years photos.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kphoger

Why a separate thread from the regular "best of" one?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AsphaltPlanet

Someone suggested it in the "best of" one, and I thought it was a good idea.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Ian

I didn't do too much in the way of road photography this year, but I have a few that I'd like to contribute. This first one is looking down at the abandoned PA 23 expressway stub near Bridgeport, Pennsylvania. Taken in August.

Abandoned swing bridge over Alloway Creek along a closed portion CR 623 south of Salem, New Jersey. Taken a few weeks ago over the Thanksgiving break.

This one I liked the most from this year. The Deer Isle Bridge along ME 15 near Sedgewick, Maine with the Milky Way looming over. Taken back in June at about 3 AM.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

This is hard, because I took some very iconic shots as part of my travels and I had about 10 shots to choose from. For the sake of geographic variation, I chose these four. Let's start with Spring Break on the Talimena Scenic Drive in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Moving to June, I have the upper hairpin on NY 431 on Whiteface Mountain.

Finally, two famous shots from my cross-country trip in August (which I already threw in the other thread). Pine Creek Canyon in Zion National Park, UT and the Golden Gate Bridge from the Marin Headlands.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

formulanone

Some really nice ones so far! I seemed to be lacking in elevation changes this year...

SH 78 over the Red River from Texas into Oklahoma...I like the faded patina of this truss bridge:

Eastex Freeway (US 59) north of Houston; a seemingly golden city in the morning light:

An unexpectedly colorful "Main Street" in Canton, Mississippi:

AL 172 disappearing into the forested hills of Hodges, Alabama...a rare moment where you could spare a hand off the wheel:

Gardiner Expressway in Toronto...digging the limited of palette, striking contrast, and composition on this one:

ipeters61

formulanone, I really like that photo of the Gardiner Expressway...those archaic urban expressways always have a strange beauty to me.

I've posted at least some of these on other threads but these are my best photos this year, I think:

Indian River Inlet Bridge (Delaware Route 1, Bethany Beach, DE) looking north, August 25

Downtown Dover (West Loockerman Street, Dover, DE) looking west, November 3

Note: Originally I had a photo of the Mispillion River Bridge in Milford DE in the spot for Loockerman Street, but I like this photo a lot more.

From my trip to Cumberland, MD, October 13
Sideling Hill Rock Cut (Interstate 68, Hancock, MD) looking west

The Cumberland Thruway (Interstate 68, Cumberland, MD) looking east from Exit 43A

Cumberland looking west from the Center City Parking Garage
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Max Rockatansky

Its been a lean year overall regarding travel for me but I do have a lot of road photos in 2018...

Getting a selection of 5 was kind of tough but the number one for the year was obvious.  I took this picture from Central Pacific Tunnel #8 which overlooks Donner Pass.  The Dutch Flat & Donner Lake Road (North Lincoln Highway and Victory Highway), Donner Pass Road (Old US 40), and I-80 can all be seen from the vantage:

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

As far as bridge photos go I really like how this Jibboom Street Bridge picture showed up in a light fog over the American River in Sacramento.  The Jibboom Street Bridge was part of CA 24, CA 70, and CA 99 at various points:

IMG_3801 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

This photo of CA 190 was taken in the Middle Fork Tule River Canyon east of Springville.  I really like how it shows the depth of the highway grade:

Granted this isn't my only photo from Coast Road towards the Bixby Bridge on CA 1 but the empty road looks towards Hurricane Point makes it pop:

IMG_9932 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

The last remaining US 99 shield at the on ramp to the Alaskan Way Viaduct in downtown Seattle at Columbia Street:

MNHighwayMan

I don't take very many artistic road pictures, if only because I don't live in or visit many places where I can get very many inspiring shots. That said, here's a couple that I can remember.

Panoramic shot I did of the IA-17 bridge over the Des Moines River, during a period of very low water. June 12. Click to see full size.

A picture I took of the flatness and straightness of MN-1, while struggling to not get bit by deer flies. This is at the south junction of MN-1/6 west of Effie. July 17.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Some of my favorites from this year...

March of the concrete bridge supports (Selinsgrove Road Meet)

A quiet I-269 at MS 304 in February

New Orleans voodoo on cars (from February)

Sidewalk doesn't follow roadway (Western Chicago Exurbs Roadmeet)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Jim

I hope to contribute a few more here later, but here's one to get me started.  Back on January 10, here's I-93 in New Hampshire, heading north out of Lincoln on the way to a pretty spectacular day of skiing at Cannon.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

oscar

This "end of the road" sign is in Tuktoyaktuk NT, at the north end of Beaufort Rd. (now connected by a new highway to the rest of the Canadian highway system):

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

adventurernumber1

After carefully looking through all the pictures in my camera roll from the past year, I have chosen these five as this year's best from me:

This is looking east along the exit ramp from I-285 East to I-75 North on the northwestern I-75/I-285 interchange in Atlanta, Georgia.

This is US 101 Northbound on the glorious Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.

This is looking north at the I-80/US 101 interchange in San Francisco. This also actually marks Interstate 80's western terminus.

This is on CA 1 (Pacific Coast Highway) Southbound, probably not too far north of the Bixby Creek Bridge.

This is a view of the Bixby Creek Bridge (CA 1) from a lookout on the western side.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.