News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Strange habits you have

Started by golden eagle, February 10, 2015, 11:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2015, 09:59:01 AM
I don't think it is strange, but got commented on the fact I eat foods separately one at a time and I don't let different foods touch on a plate.
Same.
I also hate touching wet foods on plates when I'm doing the dishes, but I'm not sure how strange that is.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2015, 09:51:51 AMOther strange habit my wife has about which we argue: Squeezing the toothpaste tube from the wrong end. I thought everyone squeezed toothpaste from the bottom (the crimped end opposite where the toothpaste comes out) and flattened the tube as you go up. Not my wife. Picture a tube of Crest toothpaste. The "C" is closer to the end where the toothpaste comes out. She typically squeezes it where the "r" is. This, of course, shoves toothpaste down towards the bottom at the same time some comes out the top, so to me it seems like a silly way to squeeze toothpaste because sooner or later you're going to have to squeeze it from the bottom and flatten it anyway to shove all that toothpaste back up the tube. I wind up flattening it when I brush my teeth, then the next time I go to use the tube it's no longer flat and toothpaste has been shoved back down to the bottom end. It did NOT go over well when I asked her why in the world she does it that way (although she didn't have any real explanation either–it's just how she does it).

I do the same thing as your wife, so I can supply an explanation.  It is basically a question of convenience.  The toothpaste tube is easier to grasp and squeeze at its middle than at its end.  Once enough of the toothpaste is used that squeezing from the middle no longer works, it is a fairly simple matter to pick up the tube, lay it across the edge of the bathroom counter or sink, and pull it from back to front while pressing down to push toothpaste from the back of the tube to the front.  Then the flap of empty tube is simply folded over the part of the tube that still has toothpaste, which is squeezed between thumb and forefingers as needed until the tube is empty.  This gets all of the usable toothpaste out of the tube eventually--there is no waste compared to other methods like squeezing only from the back or using a toothpaste tube roller.

This discussion of toothpaste tube squeezing methods with your wife may have turned out to be much more heated than you expected because someone in her past, like her father or mother, tried to convert her from squeezing the toothpaste tube in the middle.  When I was growing up, I had a couple of sharp disagreements with my father on this very issue, since he believes that squeezing from the middle wastes toothpaste and favors toothpaste tube rollers.  The second time this happened, I told him point-blank that I hated rollers and would not use them, and demonstrated my method of squeezing the tube against counter edge to demonstrate that there was, in fact, no waste.

If the sight of a tube squeezed from the middle nevertheless causes you dismay, however, it is much easier in the long run to have separate his-and-her tubes instead of having periodic arguments about this issue.  There is much to be said for separate bathrooms as well.

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2015, 09:59:01 AMI don't think it is strange, but got commented on the fact I eat foods separately one at a time and I don't let different foods touch on a plate.

Normal.  I do this as well.

Quote from: roadman65 on February 13, 2015, 10:06:38 AMI collect pens. :bigass:

Normal.  I don't do it, but other family members do.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 13, 2015, 10:26:54 AMI also hate touching wet foods on plates when I'm doing the dishes, but I'm not sure how strange that is.

Normal.  I don't care much for it either.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

A toothpaste tube roller? Never heard of any such thing! I just did a Google search to see what one looks like. Strikes me as a waste of money. But you know, if the toothpaste tube is the worst disagreement we ever have, I'd say that bodes well for one's marriage!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

Our microwave has an old dial-turn timer.  I always just turn it to about 10 minutes, watch the food cook, and turn it back to 0 (which causes the bell to ring) when it's done.  I usually have to open it up and turn the food several times during cooking, because this microwave doesn't spin the food, and cheese seems to heat very unevenly.

Of course I sleep nude.  Because of my job and therefore my need to sleep at unpredictable times of day, I use either a thermostatted room heater or a thermostatted window A/C unit almost year-round.  There are only short periods in spring and fall where I might sleep with the window open and my sleep quality may suffer during those periods.  The amount of blankets on my bed stays the same year-round.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2015, 12:10:09 PM
A toothpaste tube roller? Never heard of any such thing! I just did a Google search to see what one looks like. Strikes me as a waste of money.

We had something like that.  I think it came from a dollar store.  At least I hope it did.  Yes, it is a waste of money.  And I don't even know why we had it because toothpaste squirting isn't an issue in my house.  (We generally just squeeze wherever - whether it be on Crest's R or Colgate's A)

QuotePens
My grandfather collected pencils, and was part of a pencil collecting club.  He passed away in '88, so that shows this was well before the days of the internet.  Recently when we were cleaning out the house I came across some of the pencils, including some with his name, the club he was with and his club number.  I jumped on the internet and found out that the club was still in existence...at least I think it is.  I emailed one of the current officers to mention my grandfather's involvement, but never heard back.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2015, 12:10:09 PMA toothpaste tube roller? Never heard of any such thing! I just did a Google search to see what one looks like. Strikes me as a waste of money.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2015, 12:23:22 PMWe had something like that.  I think it came from a dollar store.  At least I hope it did.  Yes, it is a waste of money.  And I don't even know why we had it because toothpaste squirting isn't an issue in my house.

There are actual rollers you can buy, as well as slit feeders which are run up the tube from behind to push unused toothpaste to the front.  My father has tried both over the years.  In theory the cost is amortized over time in reduced waste of toothpaste, but the counter edge is a more cost-efficient solution.  And none of these solutions by themselves will get out the last bit of toothpaste that sits within the tube collar.  There is usually at least five days' worth of toothbrushings in there (if you use a motorized toothbrush) and the only way I know of to get it out is to fold the back of the toothpaste tube and use it as a pusher.  This improves finger strength too.

Toothpaste squirting is an under-fives problem.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2015, 12:23:22 PMMy grandfather collected pencils, and was part of a pencil collecting club.  He passed away in '88, so that shows this was well before the days of the internet.  Recently when we were cleaning out the house I came across some of the pencils, including some with his name, the club he was with and his club number.  I jumped on the internet and found out that the club was still in existence...at least I think it is.  I emailed one of the current officers to mention my grandfather's involvement, but never heard back.

The biggest potential obstacle to being a collector (hoarder?) of writing implements:  the patience or otherwise of your spouse.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

6a

Quote from: jwolfer on February 12, 2015, 11:34:39 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 12, 2015, 12:03:43 AM
Man, I must need a lesson in peeing outside, because it always seems to splash off the grass blades onto my shoes. FWIW, I usually pee sitting down: splash problem solved.

I sleep in the nude almost every night, only putting on a tank top if the temp is cold enough that 620 blankets aren't enough. I haven't worn bottoms to bed in something like nine or ten years. Oh, and I've NEVER been able to stand wearing socks to bed; that feels SO unnatural.
I have slept naked since I was 16. The only time I wear something to sleep in is when I stay over someone's house.

Complete opposite here. I cannot sleep without a minimum of a t-shirt, sweatpants and socks. I never go without socks, ever - it's something of an inside joke with my wife claiming she's never seen my feet. I also never wear shorts.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 13, 2015, 10:26:54 AM
I don't think it is strange, but got commented on the fact I eat foods separately one at a time and I don't let different foods touch on a plate.
Same.
I also hate touching wet foods on plates when I'm doing the dishes, but I'm not sure how strange that is.

What happens when someone else serves you and allows the foods to touch?

What about a dish where the foods are meant to touch, like a salad or a sandwich?

Big John

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 13, 2015, 07:58:35 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 13, 2015, 10:26:54 AM
Same.

What happens when someone else serves you and allows the foods to touch?

What about a dish where the foods are meant to touch, like a salad or a sandwich?
First question, I separate them if I get them like that.

Second question, I don't order such foods:  any salad would be just lettuce au naturel, and any sandwiches would be meat and bread only, perhaps with gravy.  Can't have anything hard nor crunchy in it.

slorydn1

Chalk me up as another "must have the fan on" while sleeping no matter the temperature. I need it more for air movement than for the noise it makes.

I need so many blankets on my bed that my wife jokes that even bullets couldn't penetrate all the layers (which, looking back on it, is probably another reason I have to have the fan on).

I cannot set my alarm any earlier than I absolutely need too or I will shut it off and oversleep. For work I need it to go off at 5 (am or pm depending on which 2 week cycle I am on). If I were to set it for 4:50, I'd accidentally shut it off trying to hit the snooze, guaranteeing that I'd be late for work.

I absolutely detest getting in my car and turning the key to start the car only to have the radio and HVAC fan come on after my wife drove it and didn't set the switches to OFF before she shut the car off-drives me nuts every time. Oh, and don't even think about shutting either of our cars off with the wipers turned on and think I'm gonna let it go that the wipers are halfway across the windshield. I will nag her until she storms outside, turns the car back on and shuts the wipers off. She got tired of that so it's been a long time since I have had to say anything about it, LOL. All of that said, I don't get pi$$ed when I have to reset the seat and mirrors-I'm 6ft 1 and she's 5ft 5 so I knew what I was getting into there!

When I was a teenager, I was a socks on in the bed guy. My wife broke me of that habit, now I could not dream of sleeping with them on.

Condiments on a burger must not -I repeat- must not come in contact with the buns. Failure to abide by this rule results in the mandatory picking apart and eating of said burger one item at a time with the buns getting tossed. Oh and mustard and ketchup are acceptable on burgers as long as they are on opposite sides of the meat. Ketchup is never acceptable on hot dogs or scrambled eggs (we need a puke smilie here).

Oh and I guess this one is not really weird, because with my food allergies I have to be anal about this: I will not consume any product that was placed in the fridge sans its original ingredients label. My wife loves to consolidate things down to plastic ziplocks to save space-that means she and the kids must eat it or it gets tossed. I am allergic to all fowl, and these days it seems nothing is sacred. Everything, it seems, contains chicken and/or turkey these days. Bacon, sausage, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, hell even some frozen burger patties come with chicken or turkey mixed in and they usually don't publicize the change in the big print, so things I have eating all all of my life have become instant poison to me (I'm looking at YOU, Totino's Pizza Rolls!!!).

Oh and I must have been the only kid in the US of A that liked both peanut butter and jelly but could NEVER have both on the same food item at the same time...no PB and J for me.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Pete from Boston

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 13, 2015, 10:43:16 PMI absolutely detest getting in my car and turning the key to start the car only to have the radio and HVAC fan come on after my wife drove it and didn't set the switches to OFF before she shut the car off-drives me nuts every time. Oh, and don't even think about shutting either of our cars off with the wipers turned on and think I'm gonna let it go that the wipers are halfway across the windshield. I will nag her until she storms outside, turns the car back on and shuts the wipers off. She got tired of that so it's been a long time since I have had to say anything about it, LOL. All of that said, I don't get pi$$ed when I have to reset the seat and mirrors-I'm 6ft 1 and she's 5ft 5 so I knew what I was getting into there!

Since we're in the "revealing deep personal details" thread now, how does your wife handle this level of nagging?  Is it a happy consent she makes, or resentful one?

QuoteOh and I guess this one is not really weird, because with my food allergies I have to be anal about this: I will not consume any product that was placed in the fridge sans its original ingredients label. My wife loves to consolidate things down to plastic ziplocks to save space-that means she and the kids must eat it or it gets tossed. I am allergic to all fowl, and these days it seems nothing is sacred. Everything, it seems, contains chicken and/or turkey these days. Bacon, sausage, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, hell even some frozen burger patties come with chicken or turkey mixed in and they usually don't publicize the change in the big print, so things I have eating all all of my life have become instant poison to me (I'm looking at YOU, Totino's Pizza Rolls!!!).

What about regular non-pre-prepared foods, like leftovers?  If you can't remember that you ate it, do you throw it out on principle?

slorydn1

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 13, 2015, 11:06:09 PM

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 13, 2015, 10:43:16 PMI absolutely detest getting in my car and turning the key to start the car only to have the radio and HVAC fan come on after my wife drove it and didn't set the switches to OFF before she shut the car off-drives me nuts every time. Oh, and don't even think about shutting either of our cars off with the wipers turned on and think I'm gonna let it go that the wipers are halfway across the windshield. I will nag her until she storms outside, turns the car back on and shuts the wipers off. She got tired of that so it's been a long time since I have had to say anything about it, LOL. All of that said, I don't get pi$$ed when I have to reset the seat and mirrors-I'm 6ft 1 and she's 5ft 5 so I knew what I was getting into there!

Since we're in the "revealing deep personal details" thread now, how does your wife handle this level of nagging?  Is it a happy consent she makes, or resentful one?

QuoteOh and I guess this one is not really weird, because with my food allergies I have to be anal about this: I will not consume any product that was placed in the fridge sans its original ingredients label. My wife loves to consolidate things down to plastic ziplocks to save space-that means she and the kids must eat it or it gets tossed. I am allergic to all fowl, and these days it seems nothing is sacred. Everything, it seems, contains chicken and/or turkey these days. Bacon, sausage, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs, hell even some frozen burger patties come with chicken or turkey mixed in and they usually don't publicize the change in the big print, so things I have eating all all of my life have become instant poison to me (I'm looking at YOU, Totino's Pizza Rolls!!!).

What about regular non-pre-prepared foods, like leftovers?  If you can't remember that you ate it, do you throw it out on principle?

Re part 1: Actually she handles it quite well, because I have also given in to some of her wants/needs/whims too. My dad taught me that give/take thing works pretty in keeping a marriage together. My parents were married 42 years before cancer took my dad back in 2011. My wife and I have been together 17 years (15 married) and we actually don't have many issues.

Re part 2: That is different, and I guess I should have characterized my comment based on whether or not it was cooked/prepared or not-not that we usually have many left overs we have a (bad?) habit of eating pretty much everything made in one sitting (and my very much overweight frame proves that, lol).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

vtk

I don't mind having the radio or fan already on when I start the car.  If the wipers are on, that's annoying if the windshield is dry, but this is a rare annoyance.  If I drive Ed's car, however, he strongly prefers that I change the radio back to his favorite station before turning off the engine.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brian556

Quote from vtk:
QuoteI don't mind having the radio or fan already on when I start the car.  If the wipers are on, that's annoying if the windshield is dry, but this is a rare annoyance.  If I drive Ed's car, however, he strongly prefers that I change the radio back to his favorite station before turning off the engine.

I always turn the wipers off before shutting off the engine. I also would be sure to put the lights back on low beam, that is, if I were to ever need the high beams.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 13, 2015, 11:27:04 PM
Re part 1: Actually she handles it quite well, because I have also given in to some of her wants/needs/whims too. My dad taught me that give/take thing works pretty in keeping a marriage together. My parents were married 42 years before cancer took my dad back in 2011. My wife and I have been together 17 years (15 married) and we actually don't have many issues.

Spoken pretty well for the day on which we're supposed to give a nod to those who put up with us.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vtk on February 14, 2015, 01:49:55 AMI don't mind having the radio or fan already on when I start the car.  If the wipers are on, that's annoying if the windshield is dry, but this is a rare annoyance.  If I drive Ed's car, however, he strongly prefers that I change the radio back to his favorite station before turning off the engine.

I try to have all accessories off when I shut off the engine, to limit draw on the battery.  The main exception to this is the blower fan in hot weather--I often don't bother to shut it off.  I try to keep batteries going for as long as possible because I have a very low tolerance for electrical problems, largely because of the effort it takes to diagnose them.

A bad battery will often take out the alternator or vice versa, finding out which of the two is causing a problem is a process of elimination, and often one or the other needs to be replaced or repaired even though it holds nominal voltage within accepted limits.  My big project for today is actually to reinstall an alternator I had rebuilt after having it load-tested at virtually every parts store in town.  It passed every in-car load test thrown at it (usually 14.2 V without load, 14.0 V under load), but none of the stores was able to give me a reliable measurement of current output.  I suspected it was browning out the ignition and transmission solenoids because I was feeling a rumble at idle whenever electrical loads were heavy and shift quality went into the toilet whenever voltage (observed using a multimeter duct-taped to the windshield since the instrument panel does not have a volts gauge) dropped below 14.2 V or so.  I took it to a local rebuilder and requested a stock rebuild, which raised output (measured on a testing bench) from 70 A at 11.7 V to 100 A at 13.8 V.  It took about three months of off-and-on troubleshooting to reach this point.

I especially try not to have the radio playing when it is just me in the car.  I can't hear it, but it sets up enough vibrations in the interior trim to cause me to suspect something mechanical is going wrong under the hood.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: slorydn1 on February 13, 2015, 10:43:16 PMKetchup is never acceptable. (we need a puke smilie here).

Fixed it for you.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

jakeroot

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on February 16, 2015, 03:28:50 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on February 13, 2015, 10:43:16 PMKetchup is never acceptable. (we need a puke smilie here).

Fixed it for you.

You're both high as a kite. Ketchup is my life blood! I put that shit on everything. Fries, dogs, burgers, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, chicken, etc.

vdeane

I don't understand the ketchup hate that many people have.  On the other hand, I don't understand putting it on eggs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

spooky

Quote from: jakeroot on February 16, 2015, 03:35:11 PM

Fixed it for you.

You're both high as a kite. Ketchup is my life blood! I put that shit on everything. Fries, dogs, burgers, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, chicken, etc.

Ketchup on hot dogs is for children. Ketchup on bacon, eggs and/or chicken is for heathens.

Pete from Boston

I find ketchup too sweet to be appealing in a broad array of uses.  It's no surprise that it's such a favorite of kids, because what kid doesn't love sugar? 

Like most things, fine in moderation. 

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on February 16, 2015, 04:03:18 PM

Fixed it for you.

Ketchup on hot dogs is for children. Ketchup on bacon, eggs and/or chicken is for heathens.

A decent hot dog should have a slight spicy kick to it. If you have to negate this with cloyingly sweet sauces like ketchup, then you should probably be eating a microwaved Oscar Meyer instead.

jakeroot

Quote from: spooky on February 16, 2015, 04:03:18 PM

Fixed it for you.

They do call me 'the Heretic'.

kj3400

For hot dogs, I usually use mustard, but every other meat is ketchup except steak and crabcakes which also get mustard. Unless there is ranch around. Then it all gets ranch. Even pizza.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Brandon

Fixed it for you.

Catsup on dogs is verboten.  On eggs and bacon just sounds gross to me (don't much like bacon anyway), but on potatoes and burgers, it's just fine.

Now, mustard, particularly the brown mustard is great on dogs, but a good burger needs a good barbeque sauce.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.