30 years later, INDOT still can't relinquish Old U.S. 50 through Washington

Started by jnewkirk77, May 01, 2018, 01:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnewkirk77

If you drive through Washington, Indiana and travel along National Highway (also variously referred to as "Old 50" or "Business 50," depending on who's talking), you may not realize that it's still technically a state highway.

INDOT's tried for years to get Washington to take the road, but its sorry condition hasn't helped the state sell it.

Four mayors have negotiated to no avail to get INDOT to make much-needed repairs, but there's been no deal.  Will current mayor Joe Wellman be the one to get it done?

The local paper has done a pretty good story on this:

http://www.washtimesherald.com/news/local_news/a-fight-to-fix/article_2ba3a02c-2b73-55d8-b5ea-6098502b7b07.html

silverback1065

interesting, I never knew that.  INDOT needs to just agree to terms, and be done with it

Life in Paradise

With INDOT shedding themselves of all of these city highways, what are they doing with the extra money that they have not needed for maintenance?  Has their budget been cut?  Have they plowed it into other projects?  They saved themselves a boatload of money by having Indianapolis agree (and as I understand the city has to agree to it) to taking over maintenance of the former state and US highways inside I-465.  Those former highways alone need tens of millions of dollars of work.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 16, 2018, 06:04:25 PM
With INDOT shedding themselves of all of these city highways, what are they doing with the extra money that they have not needed for maintenance?  Has their budget been cut?  Have they plowed it into other projects?  They saved themselves a boatload of money by having Indianapolis agree (and as I understand the city has to agree to it) to taking over maintenance of the former state and US highways inside I-465.  Those former highways alone need tens of millions of dollars of work.

In most cases, the state gives the city/county money in exchange for taking over maintenance of the highway.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

2trailertrucker

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 16, 2018, 07:42:33 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 16, 2018, 06:04:25 PM

In most cases, the state gives the city/county money in exchange for taking over maintenance of the highway.

That is what happened when Hendricks county took over 267 from Brownsburg to Plainfield. It definatley
looks like a county road now, except for the bridge over the railroad tracks in Avon and a couple of roundabouts.

silverback1065

i feel like this is happening in Boswell too, it looks like old 41 might still be owned by INDOT, not sure if this is true, but it still looks like it could be. 

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 30, 2018, 10:11:49 AM
i feel like this is happening in Boswell too, it looks like old 41 might still be owned by INDOT, not sure if this is true, but it still looks like it could be.

I don't think it still is ... the signs along it are all "300 W," so I would guess it's a county road.

silverback1065

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on June 01, 2018, 12:30:05 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 30, 2018, 10:11:49 AM

I don't think it still is ... the signs along it are all "300 W," so I would guess it's a county road.

ok that makes sense, it just looks like it's still a state road for some reason

jnewkirk77

Agreed. Last time I was up that way, quite a few signs along the road were still state-installed. Old, yes, but state.

edwaleni

"INDOT asked that the counter proposal be kept confidential"

Not possible for a public agency. 1 FOIA would reveal it.

The issue is once terms are agreed it will set a precedent for hundreds of other Indiana towns who want to do the same thing, get their state owned roads fixed.

I would suspect that this part of Washington has the lowest number of speeding tickets than any other part of town.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: edwaleni on October 19, 2018, 08:16:53 AM
"INDOT asked that the counter proposal be kept confidential"

Not possible for a public agency. 1 FOIA would reveal it.

The issue is once terms are agreed it will set a precedent for hundreds of other Indiana towns who want to do the same thing, get their state owned roads fixed.

I would suspect that this part of Washington has the lowest number of speeding tickets than any other part of town.

Drivers are too busy dodging potholes to exceed the limit! (Or at least it was like that last time I drove through.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.