News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Coca Cola Freestyle Machines

Started by roadman65, February 03, 2015, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 11, 2017, 09:22:01 PM
Now, maybe if somebody in the Cleveland area could comment since Pepsi has the contract there, as I know I saw Pibb in a Freestyle up there when I stopped on a trip several years ago.

I'm probably a little too far west to be considered the Cleveland area, so this probably won't be answering your question, but anyway, the freestyle machine at my local Wendy's has Dr. Pepper. I can't remember for exact sure if it had Dr. Pepper from the start, but I'd say there's a rally good chance that it did, since the local McDonald's has Dr. Pepper on its regular fountain machine.

formulanone

The Huntsville-area Coke Freestyle machines I've encountered also dispense Dr. Pepper.

jwolfer

I don't like the freestyle machines. Old style machines allowed more than 1 person to get a drink .. freestyle is 1 person at a time and some people can't make up their mind.. so at busy times there is a wait.

Also no non-Coca-Cola made products

Z981

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on October 11, 2017, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on October 11, 2017, 10:16:06 PM
The Circle K down the road from me has got a couple Freestyle machines installed.

I don't think I've seen one installed at a gas station before. Though the Extra Mile and 7-Eleven's do have some pretty sizable soda dispensers that could be replaced by a Freestyle.

The east coast Wawa, which is mostly a gas station store, exclusively uses the freestyle Coke machines.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Buck87 on October 12, 2017, 02:46:03 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 11, 2017, 09:22:01 PM
Now, maybe if somebody in the Cleveland area could comment since Pepsi has the contract there, as I know I saw Pibb in a Freestyle up there when I stopped on a trip several years ago.

I'm probably a little too far west to be considered the Cleveland area, so this probably won't be answering your question, but anyway, the freestyle machine at my local Wendy's has Dr. Pepper. I can't remember for exact sure if it had Dr. Pepper from the start, but I'd say there's a rally good chance that it did, since the local McDonald's has Dr. Pepper on its regular fountain machine.

Chain restaurants typically have a national agreement, so I think with Wendy's and McDonald's they will always have Dr Pepper regardless of whether or not Coke has the local contract.

OracleUsr

Wendys, Zaxby's, Firehouse, and Atlanta Bread Company as far as  I know almost all have the Freestyle.

Some Sheetz locations, including one my wife and I stop at regularly on the way back from my mother's house (she lives in Chapel Hill, but the one we stop at is in Mebane)

I am supposed to drink very little soda if at all, but these places often have fresh brewed tea.  I mix Orange and Lemon-Lime Light Minute Maid lemonade into the tea.  Yum.

Downside is that the Sheetz ones often run out of all lemonade at the most inopportune moments and there is no alternative besides soda or Snapple (and their peach tea sucks)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Sctvhound

Coke Fresstyle is pretty big in our area. Moe's was the first one to get it about 3-4 years ago, then Firehouse, and later Wendy's. All of those places have exclusive Freestyle machines. Firehouse in downtown Charleston closed, but the others are doing very well.

1995hoo

Quote from: jwolfer on October 12, 2017, 03:24:33 PM
I don't like the freestyle machines. Old style machines allowed more than 1 person to get a drink .. freestyle is 1 person at a time and some people can't make up their mind.. so at busy times there is a wait.

Or they don't understand how it works. Couple of weeks ago I went to Popeye's for lunch and an older man simply couldn't figure out the Freestyle machine, and when people tried to help him it became clear he didn't speak English, so we all just had to wait.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2017, 09:17:29 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on October 12, 2017, 03:24:33 PM

Or they don't understand how it works. Couple of weeks ago I went to Popeye's for lunch and an older man simply couldn't figure out the Freestyle machine, and when people tried to help him it became clear he didn't speak English, so we all just had to wait.

You know, if I were in that man's situation, I'd just say "Coke" and let someone else pour the drink for me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

In my town Burger King and Noodles have it. I don't like how the drinks taste out of the Freestyle machines. I'm not sure if the syrups are different in a Freestyle machine compared to a standard 6 or 8-spout fountain or what.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 17, 2017, 01:32:53 PM
In my town Burger King and Noodles have it. I don't like how the drinks taste out of the Freestyle machines. I'm not sure if the syrups are different in a Freestyle machine compared to a standard 6 or 8-spout fountain or what.

I think the taste may have to do with every drink there using the same spout.  Either it's the mixing of the flavors or it's how it cleans the spout after each pour.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on October 17, 2017, 01:44:56 PM

I think the taste may have to do with every drink there using the same spout.  Either it's the mixing of the flavors or it's how it cleans the spout after each pour.

On more than one occasion, I've gone to get water out of the Freestyle machines, only for the water to be diluted by one of the other nozzles that feed the main spout (so the water comes out red or brown). I end up getting a soda at that point because I don't want to drink water that has a slightly cherry or syrup-y flavor.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 10:48:18 PM
In my town Burger King and Noodles have it. I don’t like how the drinks taste out of the Freestyle machines. I’m not sure if the syrups are different in a Freestyle machine compared to a standard 6 or 8-spout fountain or what.

On more than one occasion, I've gone to get water out of the Freestyle machines, only for the water to be diluted by one of the other nozzles that feed the main spout (so the water comes out red or brown). I end up getting a soda at that point because I don't want to drink water that has a slightly cherry or syrup-y flavor.
Run a bit of water (or whatever drink you want) first for a little bit to get it cleaned out, and then get your drink. That's what I always do.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 17, 2017, 10:52:00 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 17, 2017, 10:48:18 PM

Run a bit of water (or whatever drink you want) first for a little bit to get it cleaned out, and then get your drink. That's what I always do.

I've tried doing that before, but it's almost like one of the nuzzles has a leak, because it just constantly pours out off-color. I've filled entire large soda cups full of the off-color water before I noticed. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Rothman

Recently got a vanilla Barq's cream soda out of one.  It looked like Sprite.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

I used to love them because I used to love mixing several different kinds of pop (usually Diet Coke, root beer, orange soda, and Dr Pepper)

Now that I've had weight loss surgery and can no longer drink carbonated beverages, I like them because they include a nice selection of non-carbonated drinks.

Desert Man

I seen one in Sea world San Diego, but I didn't wanna spend $3.49 for a "small". I can get a $1 value cup at the nearby Jack in the Box. Coke zero with Lemon, raspberry, vanilla and reg. are pretty good tasting. It's a different formula from diet coke and I lost 13 pounds in one year as a result, no extra sugar and calories, and didn't make me regain any pounds. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2018, 04:39:32 PM
I used to love them because I used to love mixing several different kinds of pop (usually Diet Coke, root beer, orange soda, and Dr Pepper)

Now that I've had weight loss surgery and can no longer drink carbonated beverages, I like them because they include a nice selection of non-carbonated drinks.

My local Firehouse has one of those machines. They also separate dispensers for iced tea.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rickmastfan67

Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2018, 07:11:38 PM

My local Firehouse has one of those machines. They also separate dispensers for iced tea.

I think every restaurant that has one keeps the iced tea separate.  I know my local Wendy's does.

Flint1979

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 03, 2018, 09:56:36 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2018, 07:11:38 PM

I think every restaurant that has one keeps the iced tea separate.  I know my local Wendy's does.
I'm in the Wendy's by my house all the time and I seem to think they do there as well.

roadman65

A girl I work with claims the fact that all brands use the same lines.   She finds it a little too much.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

BamaZeus

I've gotten to where when I use the machine, I will choose my drink, then let it run for a second or two before putting my cup there.  I want whatever the previous person had to get washed through the line first.  I'll even let the water run before choosing my drink, even though I'm pretty sure that's a separate line.

If I'm drinking Cherry Coke, I don't want to taste a hint of vanilla Mr. Pibb if possible, etc.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: BamaZeus on May 04, 2018, 11:12:38 AM
I've gotten to where when I use the machine, I will choose my drink, then let it run for a second or two before putting my cup there.  I want whatever the previous person had to get washed through the line first.  I'll even let the water run before choosing my drink, even though I'm pretty sure that's a separate line.

If I'm drinking Cherry Coke, I don't want to taste a hint of vanilla Mr. Pibb if possible, etc.

I do the same thing. I want Coke. Not Coke with random flavors. And I silently count to 8 to allow the suds to subside, but not reset to the main screen.

jakeroot

Yeah, I also let the thing run for a half or full second before putting my cup under. Bleed through is a serious issue with these machines, but I'm not sure what could be done to minimize the issue.

TheHighwayMan3561

One of the gas stations by the MSP airport installed a Freestyle-type machine (obviously carrying both Coke and Pepsi products because it's a gas station). It's the only one of its kind I've ever seen. Has anyone seen Freestyle-type machines outside of chain restaurants?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.