News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coca Cola Freestyle Machines

Started by roadman65, February 03, 2015, 11:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 05, 2018, 05:19:48 AM
One of the gas stations by the MSP airport installed a Freestyle-type machine (obviously carrying both Coke and Pepsi products because it's a gas station). It's the only one of its kind I've ever seen. Has anyone seen Freestyle-type machines outside of chain restaurants?

Yep, one of my local supermarket chains has them at a few of their stores.

KEVIN_224

I've only seen Freestyle machines in 3 places:

1- Select Wendy's locations
2- Select Five Guys locations
3- A remodeled Citgo station along the Berlin Turnpike (US 5/CT 15) in Berlin, CT.

abefroman329

Has anyone seen Freestyle-type machines outside of chain restaurants?

I've seen them in non-chain restaurants and they've installed them at my company's cafeteria.  I also know of at least two AMC movie theaters that have banks of them in the concession area.

I would think that sales of fountain drinks at gas stations are too high-volume for Freestyle machines.  Plus QuikTrip has had a Freestyle-esque offering for years, where you can add cherry or vanilla flavoring to any fountain drink.

Pink Jazz

One of the gas stations by the MSP airport installed a Freestyle-type machine (obviously carrying both Coke and Pepsi products because it's a gas station). It's the only one of its kind I've ever seen. Has anyone seen Freestyle-type machines outside of chain restaurants?

Is it one of these fountains?
http://newproducts-cornelius.com/idc-pro/

briantroutman

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 07, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
Has anyone seen Freestyle-type machines outside of chain restaurants?

I've seen them in non-chain restaurants and they've installed them at my company's cafeteria.

Though not part of a "chain"  per se, many workplace and institutional cafeterias are operated by large concessionaires–who might have an overriding contract with the Coca-Cola Company.

As for truly local, non-chain, independent restaurants, I have yet to personally see any that have Freestyle machines. But then again, self-service soda fountains are primarily the domain of franchised fast food and convenience stores.

I forget the details, but I remember hearing (or reading) a discussion of the economics of soda fountains, and my general takeaway was that the costs of having a soda fountain installed were surprisingly high and that it was an area where novice restauranteurs frequently signed unfavorable deals and got themselves into financial trouble–much as is with the case with credit card processing. The high costs associated with soda fountains were cited as the reason that many small businesses (and especially Chinese restaurants) sell only packaged beverages.

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 07, 2018, 09:13:03 AM
I would think that sales of fountain drinks at gas stations are too high-volume for Freestyle machines.

The Wawa chain of gas stations/convenience stores has Freestyle machines in all locations–apparently the first large convenience store chain to do so. But relative to most other convenience store chains, Wawa probably does a larger business with made-to-order drinks (smoothies, iced coffees, etc.), so that might lessen soda fountain traffic somewhat.

I was eager to try out a Freestyle machine when I first learned of them, but when I finally used one, I wasn't very impressed. Freestyle is advertised as offering an incredible number of variations, but it practice, it struck me as being very limited and "parts bin"  in nature. There's Coke...or Coke with these six flavor shots. Then there's Sprite...or Sprite with these same six flavor shots. And so on. If someone at Coca-Cola had taken time to figure out that a certain counterintuitive concoction made for a surprisingly good drink, that would be a much better use of the Freestyle technology, in my opinion.

roadman

QuoteAs for truly local, non-chain, independent restaurants, I have yet to personally see any that have Freestyle machines. But then again, self-service soda fountains are primarily the domain of franchised fast food and convenience stores

Kelly's Roast Beef, a local restaurant that has multiple locations - but not large enough to be considered a 'chain' - recently installed three Freestyle machines at their Saugus location.  Reminds me of the saying "If you provide enough choices, the average person is just going to be confused."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

It has been a while now since I have seen Pibb in one of these machines locally.  Almost every place I have been to recently have replaced it with Dr. Pepper, even the local restaurants.  I know that Coke's non-compete clause with Dr. Pepper does not cover fountain drinks, however, it is interesting to see Pibb being replaced with Dr. Pepper at so many places locally.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 07, 2018, 04:58:45 PM
It has been a while now since I have seen Pibb in one of these machines locally.  Almost every place I have been to recently have replaced it with Dr. Pepper, even the local restaurants.  I know that Coke's non-compete clause with Dr. Pepper does not cover fountain drinks, however, it is interesting to see Pibb being replaced with Dr. Pepper at so many places locally.

Pibb is normally only in the machine if the local Pepsi distributor has the DP license and not Coca-Cola.  So, if DP changes hands in a local area, that could explain why your machines changed.

abefroman329

It's so weird to think there are people who prefer Mr Pibb to Dr Pepper.  Ditto people who prefer Mello Yello to Mountain Dew.

US71

One of the local c-stores has a Pepsi-style machine, but there is less variety
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 07, 2018, 11:23:42 PM

Pibb is normally only in the machine if the local Pepsi distributor has the DP license and not Coca-Cola.  So, if DP changes hands in a local area, that could explain why your machines changed.

That's the case in Tacoma, WA. Pepsi + DP is the standard configuration, although Coke machines with DP dispensers are far from uncommon, whereas I only see Pibb in Coke machines. Five Guys in my area all have Coke Freestyles with Pibb in them.

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 08, 2018, 09:21:28 AM
It's so weird to think there are people who prefer Mr Pibb to Dr Pepper.  Ditto people who prefer Mello Yello to Mountain Dew.

They have a slightly different taste. I personally prefer Pibb to DP, but Pibb is extra hard to find. So my default soda is usually DP. I rarely ask if a restaurant has Pibb.

busman_49

I also prefer Pibb over DP.  Five Guys & Chipotle in my area both have Pibb; otherwise it's pretty well scarce.  Wendy's in the Dayton area used to have it until late 2013 or early 2014 when they switched over to Dr. Pepper.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 07, 2018, 11:23:42 PM

I still see Dr. Pepper at both Coke and Pepsi restaurants, actually, that that doesn't only apply to chains.

SSOWorld

Anyone see how ungodly expensive it is to have these?

Try AMC Theaters.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: briantroutman on May 07, 2018, 02:29:30 PM
The Wawa chain of gas stations/convenience stores has Freestyle machines in all locations–apparently the first large convenience store chain to do so. But relative to most other convenience store chains, Wawa probably does a larger business with made-to-order drinks (smoothies, iced coffees, etc.), so that might lessen soda fountain traffic somewhat.

We love the Freestyles in Wawa.  We first saw them in Five Guys and a few other places, but now that they're in Wawa that's our "goto" place when we're out and about and thirsty.  I can't get enough of dumping some strawberry or other flavors in my Diet Dr. Pepper (defeating the purpose of no calorie "diet" in the process).  Still waiting for them to bump up the cup size another notch (Put those 44 oz cups with the Big Gulps of the past - we have rest areas for later!) - car cup-holder clearance permitting.

seicer

I do love Wendy's with their Dave's Cherry Cream Soda. I can get it in the Freestyle machines but when I ask for it in most drive-thrus, they come back with "we don't carry it."

rickmastfan67

Quote from: seicer on May 12, 2018, 12:48:44 PM
I do love Wendy's with their Dave's Cherry Cream Soda. I can get it in the Freestyle machines but when I ask for it in most drive-thrus, they come back with "we don't carry it."

I know my local Wendy's will get you a Freesytle flavor if you want it.  Seen them several times come over to the 2 machines there to fill up cups.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 12, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
I can't get enough of dumping some strawberry or other flavors in my Diet Dr. Pepper (defeating the purpose of no calorie "diet" in the process).

@ my local Wendy's there's now a default Dr. Pepper Strawberry flavor option.

jakeroot

Hmm. The fast food restaurants that I've seen with Freestyle machines have another Freestyle machine for the employees. Usually silver or black. The BKs around here specifically advertise the machines with signs placed along the  drive thru.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jakeroot on May 13, 2018, 02:45:21 AM
Hmm. The fast food restaurants that I've seen with Freestyle machines have another Freestyle machine for the employees. Usually silver or black. The BKs around here specifically advertise the machines with signs placed along the  drive thru.

Well, I'm guessing they only wanted 2 @ mine, and keep them in the area for customers.  They do have an 'old-style' machine at the drive-thru window for the 'basic' drinks as a fall back.

hbelkins

The Wendy's I frequently use in Jackson, Ky., has a Freestyle machine at the drive-through. However, I am not a fan of flavored drinks such as those you can concoct in a Freestyle machine.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

qguy

I've seen the freestyle machine in a nearby Fuddruckers.

Thing 342

One of the dining halls at VT received a Freestyle machine in its grab-n-go section (don't remember when). The rest remain standard pedal dispensers (with frustratingly inconsistent drink options).

I don't eat fast food all that often, so I don't frequently come into contact with these things, however, it can be quite frustrating when waiting for a drink behind people who can't figure out how to use the darn thing.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 13, 2018, 09:52:51 PM
however, it can be quite frustrating when waiting for a drink behind people who can't figure out how to use the darn thing.

I've had to teach several elderly people myself how to use it @ my local Wendy's. lol.

Scott5114

I kind of hate dealing with these because they often have really badly calibrated touchscreens, so I have to hit the buttons that I want 2 or 3 times to get them to register.

As with a lot of things touchscreen, yes, we get it, touchscreens are neat and cool–now can you spend the money to put a decent one in, or can we get some physical buttons that actually work the way they're supposed to?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 14, 2018, 04:58:49 AM
I kind of hate dealing with these because they often have really badly calibrated touchscreens, so I have to hit the buttons that I want 2 or 3 times to get them to register.

As with a lot of things touchscreen, yes, we get it, touchscreens are neat and cool–now can you spend the money to put a decent one in, or can we get some physical buttons that actually work the way they're supposed to?
Heh.  I agree with this:  The concept behind freestyle machines is solid, but it does seem the touchscreens either wear out quickly or have poor detection to begin with.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.