News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

most "dangerous" city you've been to?

Started by CapeCodder, August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Los Angeles. I was assaulted by someone in a subway station who thought I was photographing them (I wasn't, but it's still okay in a public place anyway). Police came by, took names, and told me that I had to come back down in order to press charges, so he got off scot free.

Berlin. I was nearly mugged on a train by a trio of guys who were trying to physically separate me from my luggage. Managed to run out of the door before they could, but the amount of non-reactive bystanders was just shocking.

Henry

My hometown gets an awful rep nowadays, but nothing compares to Motown itself.

And L.A. and Oakland are pretty bad too, what with their gangster mentalities running rampant.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TXtoNJ

Went to school in Camden, NJ - had no problems. Situational awareness is the key.

roadman65

Not exactly a city, but Pine Hills, a section of Orange County, FL, next to Orlando is dangerous as there is always domestic disturbance or a store robbery there daily.  In fact its urban but not part of the city for this reason as Orlando is trying their damnedest to get more land annexed including Lake Nona east of Orlando International Airport (done actually ) and even recently annexed more rural land up to Osceola County to get more revenue.  However, Pine Hills they do not want despite all other areas who have not yet been annexed  have residents are worried of a city take over.

Even a user on here actually lived there and bailed cause of the riff raff that took over and moved out of what we locals call "Crime Hills."
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: Takumi on August 03, 2017, 04:47:53 PM
Baltimore, although I pretty much stayed around the Inner Harbor every time.
I'm pretty sure I told this story before, but I drove through Baltimore four years ago, for pics of West Balitmore's MARC station, and the former Pennsylvania Railroad station that it replaced. I think I would've felt safer in the South Bronx... in the 1970's! I also went to the Inner Harbor, and I thought the cobblestones in the streets were going to pop out and ruin my car.

ET21

Easton, PA, not the greatest after 11pm
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TravelingBethelite

The bad parts of Bridgeport, CT, or perhaps Waterbury. I think moreso Bridgeport, but you should generally be on the lookout in any post-industrial city with a racially diverse population. Hell, really any post-industrial city for that matter.  :-/
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 04:09:50 PM
SF is just s beautiful city to wander around in, with NYC there are cops everywhere. 

depends on which parts of SF - the Tenderloin is still not really the best place to go at night (though that has never been the case really), as are portions of the Mission District and the Hunter's Point area.  On the other hand, the Mission is also home to the rather fancy Valencia Street with its boutiques.

IIRC, Potrero Hill and the Panhandle are areas that were considered less than ideal in the 1990s but have gentrified significantly since then.
Chris Sampang

Rothman

I dunno.  When I lived in SF, Hunters Point was the only "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here" area.  Tenderloin was just filled with mostly harmless and even friendly freaks and junkies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Probably Birmingham, AL. Never felt too unsafe while I've been there, but never felt the safest either.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 10:24:08 PM
Florida isn't exclusive to Miami.  Orlando had some really bad neighborhoods along Orange Blossom Trail "OBT" especially the closer you got to the Parramore neighborhood.  I've never seen so many used tire shops in my life before, the area was heavy on industry and older homes.  I-4 with Parramore was almost like an urban barrier from downtown, essentially conditions changes almost instantly once you cross the Interstate.
I just started a new job and the office is right on OBT.. 'Life on the trail'  when leaving office at 8pm propositions from hookers, multitudes of cheap motels, and all the meth you want... I dont feel unsafe per se, but i would just very mindful of surroundings and i would not live close to the office, even though it would be nice to ride a bike or walk to work

Its alwasy funny what people from newer suburbs consider to be the hood... 'You must have never been in the hood'

LGMS428

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 04, 2017, 11:21:12 AM
I'm pretty sure I told this story before, but I drove through Baltimore four years ago, for pics of West Balitmore's MARC station, and the former Pennsylvania Railroad station that it replaced. I think I would've felt safer in the South Bronx... in the 1970's! I also went to the Inner Harbor, and I thought the cobblestones in the streets were going to pop out and ruin my car.
Um, yeah, you probably would, since the South Bronx, is perfectly safe, I've lived here for three years, and have yet to have any difficulties.

STV100-2

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 04, 2017, 10:38:24 AM
Not exactly a city, but Pine Hills, a section of Orange County, FL, next to Orlando is dangerous as there is always domestic disturbance or a store robbery there daily.  In fact its urban but not part of the city for this reason as Orlando is trying their damnedest to get more land annexed including Lake Nona east of Orlando International Airport (done actually ) and even recently annexed more rural land up to Osceola County to get more revenue.  However, Pine Hills they do not want despite all other areas who have not yet been annexed  have residents are worried of a city take over.

Even a user on here actually lived there and bailed cause of the riff raff that took over and moved out of what we locals call "Crime Hills."
Orlando city limits are interrsting.. Gerrymandered to avoid particularly crime prone places like Pine Hills and South OBT but includinf the Millenia area in between the 2... As you mentioned Lake Nona us fancy and new.. Orlando was happy to get all that developable land in city limits

LGMS428

Rothman

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 04, 2017, 04:27:39 PM
Um, yeah, you probably would, since the South Bronx, is perfectly safe, I've lived here for three years, and have yet to have any difficulties.

STV100-2
South Bronx in 1970s and 1980s was a battlefield.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on August 04, 2017, 04:26:19 PM
Florida isn't exclusive to Miami.  Orlando had some really bad neighborhoods along Orange Blossom Trail "OBT" especially the closer you got to the Parramore neighborhood.  I've never seen so many used tire shops in my life before, the area was heavy on industry and older homes.  I-4 with Parramore was almost like an urban barrier from downtown, essentially conditions changes almost instantly once you cross the Interstate.
I just started a new job and the office is right on OBT.. 'Life on the trail'  when leavinf office at 8pm propositions from hookers, muktitudes of cheap motels, and all the meth you want... I dont feel unsafe per se, but i would just very mindful of surroundings ans i would not live close to the office, even though it wouls be nice to ride a bike or walk to work

Its alwasy funny what people from newer suburbs consider to be the hood... 'You must have never been in the hood'

LGMS428

A couple of my distance run routes went through downtown which required either taking Orange Avenue or or OBT to get to.  I wouldn't say that I felt "unsafe" per se given that I was moving at speed, but it was apparent the area was a little more on the seedy side of the equation.  When I lived in Orlando I would often take family on Orange Avenue to downtown, they always seemed shocked the city really was way older than they thought.  I think the general perception of Orlando is that it was some country side dot on the map when Disney rolled into town, I want to say it had 100,000 plus residents in the city limit when the park opened. 

Really I've been struggling to think of a west coast city to really talk about aside from South Tucson.  Oakland, El Monte, Compton, East Los Angeles, and maybe San Bernardino come to mind as questionable.  I've had some issues dealing with robberies at buildings I managed in Yuma in the past as well on the Arizona side. 

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 04, 2017, 04:34:14 PM
I just started a new job and the office is right on OBT.. 'Life on the trail'  when leavinf office at 8pm propositions from hookers, muktitudes of cheap motels, and all the meth you want... I dont feel unsafe per se, but i would just very mindful of surroundings ans i would not live close to the office, even though it wouls be nice to ride a bike or walk to work

LGMS428

A couple of my distance run routes went through downtown which required either taking Orange Avenue or or OBT to get to.  I wouldn't say that I felt "unsafe" per se given that I was moving at speed, but it was apparent the area was a little more on the seedy side of the equation.  When I lived in Orlando I would often take family on Orange Avenue to downtown, they always seemed shocked the city really was way older than they thought.  I think the general perception of Orlando is that it was some country side dot on the map when Disney rolled into town, I want to say it had 100,000 plus residents in the city limit when the park opened. 

Really I've been struggling to think of a west coast city to really talk about aside from South Tucson.  Oakland, El Monte, Compton, East Los Angeles, and maybe San Bernardino come to mind as questionable.  I've had some issues dealing with robberies at buildings I managed in Yuma in the past as well on the Arizona side.
Orlando before Disney was much smaller but still significant regional center like Columbus GA or Augusta GA. The Navy Training Center was here, Martin Marietta and other space race stuff thanks to Kennedy Space Center being nearby. Orange County was 6th in population in the state. At the time of the moon launch the network feeds were from channel 12 in Jacksonville, not channel 2 in Daytona Beach/Orlando. I read some local history that into the 1930s Sanford was more or less equal to Orlando, it was a riverport back in steamboat days
------------
Orlando is an example of how roads can make a place grow.. leaders back in the 1950s lobbied to have the Florida turnpike curve inland to Orlando instead of going straight up to Jacksonville (Walt Disney saw the intersection with i4 in the middle of nowhere and decided to build near there) they built the Beeline( now Beachline) to connect to the space center. 

So the start of growth was before Disney.  Disney and the other attractions have made Orlando an International city

LGMS428

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: Rothman on August 04, 2017, 04:30:56 PM
Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 04, 2017, 04:27:39 PM

STV100-2
South Bronx in 1970s and 1980s was a battlefield.
As told in song and legend, it's annoying the stereotype lingers. Then again,  it might slow the gentrification of the area.

STV100-2

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 04, 2017, 04:34:14 PM

LGMS428

Berdoo has been dodgy since Hector was a pup, likewise Lancaster and most of the Antelope Valley.

STV100-2

CNGL-Leudimin

I've been to several towns and neighborhoods where little-known diseases are present. However I managed to meet and even befriend one case of those, and I'm still healthy.

Now more seriously, there's that one neighborhood in Zaragoza, Spain that most avoid and I was brave enough to enter it. I didn't see anything out of normal (except the police checking something once), so I guess I haven't been to a really dangerous place.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JKRhodes

The town of South Tucson, AZ supposedly has a very high crime index. I've been through there several times day and night, and while I wouldn't buy a house to raise a family there, I've had some amazing food and never felt unsafe in the town.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadiejay on August 04, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
The town of South Tucson, AZ supposedly has a very high crime index. I've been through there several times day and night, and while I wouldn't buy a house to raise a family there, I've had some amazing food and never felt unsafe in the town.

About half a decade back some co-workers from Phoenix were down in Willcox for a project.  Just so happens there was a huge 200 car pileup that day on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix which shut the freeway down.  One of my co-workers called me and I told her to take AZ 79/Old US 80 & 89 to get up to US 60, she made it home fine.  The other two guys stayed in South Tucson at some $19.99 hotel.  They kept hear gun shots nearby and screams from the hotel through the night and bailed out at 3 AM.  They could have spent up to $150 on a hotel which would have been reimbursed, I have no idea what they were thinking stayed in South Tucson. 

Takumi

Quote from: roadiejay on August 04, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
Sounds like Petersburg, VA. I know where not to go, and where I do go, there are great places to eat and drink. But I would never live there.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

I almost completely forgot about Desert Hot Springs or as many refer to it as "DHS."  DHS is a city a couple miles north of Palm Springs near the junction of I-10 and CA 62.  I once had to close a business out there because the city was so crime ridden that it was literally impossible to pull a profit.  There was all sorts of rumors (which I have no idea if they are true) that Los Angeles County would give the city of DHS money to house felons in halfway houses.  Apparently the windmills that bled onto Dillon Road were known locally as the "Windmill Graveyard" because bodies would be found out there dumped in the desert with alarming frequency. 

DandyDan

I wasn't especially fond of traveling through Rockford,  IL at night any of the times I had to do so. Beloit, WI up the road wasn't much better.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.