News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on March 07, 2019, 10:14:31 AM
A coalition, 17-Forward-86, was in the state capital yesterday calling for the widening of Route 17 for 22 miles west of the Thruway.  They want it to be three lanes in each direction.
NYSDOT hears ya; NYSDOT got no money for that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

The map I saw posted to their Twitter from their website had over 50 miles, not 22.  Did they downsize their proposal?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2019, 10:49:55 AM
A coalition, 17-Forward-86, was in the state capital yesterday calling for the widening of Route 17 for 22 miles west of the Thruway.  They want it to be three lanes in each direction.

Unless, of course, a certain politician wants to make it a pet project... (personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on March 07, 2019, 12:03:39 PM

Unless, of course, a certain politician wants to make it a pet project... (personal opinion emphasized)
That certain politician hasn't shown much enthusiasm for I-86 thus far.  Some lipservice and supported Exit 131, but nothing beyond that, I don't believe.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

02 Park Ave

Quote from: vdeane on March 07, 2019, 12:00:46 PM
The map I saw posted to their Twitter from their website had over 50 miles, not 22.  Did they downsize their proposal?

The original study involved 47 miles.  They are only proposing 22 miles.
C-o-H

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2019, 12:05:16 PM

That certain politician hasn't shown much enthusiasm for I-86 thus far.  Some lipservice and supported Exit 131, but nothing beyond that, I don't believe.

Exit 131 is visible from the Thruway. Outsiders don't see the rest of 17.

AMLNet49

Quote from: Alps on March 07, 2019, 08:49:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 07, 2019, 12:05:16 PM

Exit 131 is visible from the Thruway. Outsiders don't see the rest of 17.

Exactly. If you are Cuomo, and you upgrade exit 131, meaning the half-mile at the east end of NY 17 changes from a "faux" part of I-86 to a "real" part of I-86, what do you get?

You get to sign I-86 from the Thruway and basically pretend that it is complete. This alone is incentive to reconstruct Exit 131.

goobnav

LOL!!!  That certain politician caring for anything outside the city, would cause massive heart attacks across the state.  Hate to say it but, 86 has as much chance of getting completed as the Tappen Zee being listed by it's original name and not the tribute to that certain politician's father.

Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

Michael

In early October of last year, I was on NY 17 eastbound from Binghamton until Exit 124 in Goshen on the way to a friend's wedding.  I was surprised at how suddenly the amount of traffic increased heading down the hill before Exit 120 in Middletown.  Traffic was a bit heavy at times, but kept moving.  We went between Exit 120 and Exit 122 a few times because the hotel we spent the night at was one of the ones at Exit 122.  The RIRO ramps at Exit 122 for NY 17 westbound were super tight, and I was surprised that they weren't changed from their original design since the interchange was redesigned in 2015 according to Historic Aerials.

The three lane section begins just west of Exit 122A, and that seemed to work fine, but I could understand wanting to extend it to either Exit 121 or Exit 120.  Exit 120 is 18.7 miles west of the Thruway.

The most substandard thing I noticed about NY 17 (other than the at-grade intersections) was the curves near Hale Eddy.  The worst one to me was this one.

As an aside, I was surprised at how well the existing road was tied into the Parksville bypass.  I knew we were near the new alignment, but I didn't realize we were actually on it until seeing the 1 mile sign for Exit 98.  I was also surprised to see that past Liberty, several bridges still had this type of railing.

webny99

Interesting. I always wondered why the one segment through Goshen got six lanes and not the rest of it down to I-87. It would be nice, but its not that bad; much of the Thruway ought to be a higher priority.

I'd rather funds go towards conpleting and designating I-86 than a big widening project.

empirestate

Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 10:16:55 PM
Interesting. I always wondered why the one segment through Goshen got six lanes and not the rest of it down to I-87. It would be nice, but its not that bad; much of the Thruway ought to be a higher priority.

I'd rather funds go towards conpleting and designating I-86 than a big widening project.

Curiously, why so? (Since as I recall, you tend to favor widening in other places of apparent need, such as the Thruway?)

NJRoadfan

NY-17 has needed a 3rd lane in Orange County for at least 20 years now. I was quite surprised when they didn't put one in (or at least prep for it with wider over/underpasses) when they did all that reconstruction for the I-86 designation.

About that 3rd lane in Goshen.

One night when I was coming back from Ellenville, I was stuck in some pretty heavy, but generally moving, traffic going eastbound. When the 3rd lane opened up, I recall jumping on it and punching the car to some ridiculous speed. Nobody cut me off by some small miracle and by the time the lane ended I passed the 2 idiots that were clogging up the highway. Smooth sailing and no traffic all the way to the Thurway..... which still needs a 4th lane between Exit 15 and 16.

webny99

Quote from: empirestate on March 09, 2019, 12:49:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 08, 2019, 10:16:55 PM
Curiously, why so? (Since as I recall, you tend to favor widening in other places of apparent need, such as the Thruway?)

Well, really for two reasons. One is that that section of I-86 has a relatively little long distance and truck traffic, especially compared to the Thruway and I-81. The second reason I alluded to above, and that is that I am frustrated with I-86 being incomplete, so I would prioritize that over a widening.

However, I am not at all opposed to widening. Undeniably 6 lanes through Orange County would be very nice to have.

vdeane

The last example of widening I can think of in NY (Thruway exits 23-24) involved a full-depth reconstruction, so if NY 17 was done similarly I would think the resulting freeway would be ready for I-86.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

I think I would rather see a full interstate upgrade before a widening, because then it'll be eligible for federal funds, right?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

sparker

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 09, 2019, 11:38:22 PM
I think I would rather see a full interstate upgrade before a widening, because then it'll be eligible for federal funds, right?

It's been eligible for federal funds for quite some time as High Priority Corridor #36.  There's currently no additional funding for designated Interstate corridors such as this one; they're eligible for the maximum 80%, but like every other corridor, it needs to wait for (a) a Congressional outlay and (b) state/local matching funds being identified and allotted.  In other words, just because it's future I-86 doesn't mean its funding will be prioritized; everything's on a year-to-year basis. 

Rothman

Quote from: Buffaboy on March 09, 2019, 11:38:22 PM

NY 17 is federal-aid eligible regardless due to being on the Federal-Aid System and probably the NHS.

There is no need for a special congressional "outlay" or earmark to federally fund any project on NY 17.  In fact, all that is needed is for NYSDOT to consider the work as a priority and devote NHP funds towards it.

And, if there's an assumption that simply because it was included in the list of "high priority corridors" a few federal bills ago that Congress is under an obligation to fund such...don't hold your breath.  Every time a federal bill comes out, the core funding is the only thing that is a surety; the add-ons from previous bills are essentially ignored (i.e., earmarks actually funded have their funds linger, but if no funds were actually ever tied to designations, the new bill rules the day).

And then I-86 isn't a priority because NYSDOT is struggling to keep conditions from declining while simultaneously needing funding for the gargantuan Van Wyck and Hunts Point access projects.  It is actually getting more frequent that any additional funding NYSDOT receives is earmarked for needed megaprojects (i.e., from the State), but the rest of the system is still declining, state-wise.

I suppose the recent large amounts of "August Redistribution" in federal obligation limitation are something of an exception, but those amounts are incorporated in NYSDOT's regional allocations anyway and there's still not enough to turn around the condition slide -- just slows it.

vdeane

Some interesting stuff from an article I saw in the clippings today.  Don't know if it's a function of today's date or not, but we might see more I-86 soon:

The coveted signs now run from Chautauqua County and I-90 at the Pennsylvania line for 206 miles through five of Route 17′s 10 counties. The Federal Highway Administration is expected to approve the designation of another 32 miles in Tioga County and nine miles in Orange County in this anniversary year.

And in two years, when the state's $310 million project to link Route 17 with I-81 and I-88 in Binghamton is complete, the state will be only five miles shy of bringing I-86 almost to the Delaware County line – and to the final sprint, across Delaware, Sullivan and Orange counties to I-87, the New York State Thruway.

Oddly though, these sections have met interstate standards for years (the stretch in Orange County mentioned has had covered up signs for a long time now), so why now?  Also, the current end of I-86 east of I-81 is 15 miles from Delaware County, not 5, so does that mean it will get extended to NY 41?

https://www.recordonline.com/news/20190330/i-86-conversion-slow-go-to-thruway

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2019, 07:29:20 PM
Some interesting stuff from an article I saw in the clippings today.  Don't know if it's a function of today's date or not, but we might see more I-86 soon:

The coveted signs now run from Chautauqua County and I-90 at the Pennsylvania line for 206 miles through five of Route 17′s 10 counties. The Federal Highway Administration is expected to approve the designation of another 32 miles in Tioga County and nine miles in Orange County in this anniversary year.

And in two years, when the state's $310 million project to link Route 17 with I-81 and I-88 in Binghamton is complete, the state will be only five miles shy of bringing I-86 almost to the Delaware County line – and to the final sprint, across Delaware, Sullivan and Orange counties to I-87, the New York State Thruway.

Oddly though, these sections have met interstate standards for years (the stretch in Orange County mentioned has had covered up signs for a long time now), so why now?  Also, the current end of I-86 east of I-81 is 15 miles from Delaware County, not 5, so does that mean it will get extended to NY 41?

Interestingly enough, the signs on NY 17K at the Interchange with NY 17/Future I-86 are uncovered...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5528809,-74.427568,3a,60y,134.56h,81.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdrLj8NsgXWyExB5QUHh7IQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

seicer

There are many instances of shields being uncovered (wind blowing off covers, etc.) and never being recovered.

empirestate

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on April 17, 2019, 07:39:02 AM
Interestingly enough, the signs on NY 17K at the Interchange with NY 17/Future I-86 are uncovered...

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5528809,-74.427568,3a,60y,134.56h,81.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdrLj8NsgXWyExB5QUHh7IQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just a reminder to please use shortened GSV links, or add a blank line underneath (as a scroll bar workaround). :thumbsup:

vdeane

Those signs have been uncovered for years, as have a few further west in Sullivan County.  I wouldn't read anything into them.

AMLNet49

Okay and 86 is also uncovered on 84 itself, despite not officially reaching down to 84. Its very inconsistent, and in a lot of places unintentional

TheDon102

Any updates on I-86?

Alps

Quote from: TheDon102 on September 14, 2019, 12:09:50 AM
Any updates on I-86?
It's a short freeway connecting I-84 to I-15.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.