News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

It reverted to I-84 about 35 years ago.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 14, 2019, 10:37:29 AM
Which one lol?  This one has had three different routes unlike I-84 that has only had two.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2019, 11:55:48 AM
Which one lol?  This one has had three different routes unlike I-84 that has only had two.

I think he's referring to the old (and original) I-86 in CT and MA that reverted back to its original number of I-84 in 1984 after the Hartford-Providence freeway that was to become the rerouted I-84 was cancelled.  In other words, that I-86 got 86'ed!  :)

TheDon102

I think we're getting off topic.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^^
The fact is that development of the east end of I-86 has been in a weird state of "limbo" for years; parts near the I-84 junction have been signed but the shields covered, and the easternmost section near I-87 seems to have a few local controversies that have delayed any activity there.  Combine that with the Hale Eddy situation, which seems, in both political and logistical terms, to defy any plans to solve it.  So it seems that unless someone from NYDOT pulls the proverbial rabbit out of a hat ("but that trick never works!")*, further development of I-86 is at an impasse.  So, basically, no new news to report (NY posters with info to the contrary are more than welcome to chime in here).

*Thanks and apologies to the late Jay Ward and Bill Scott. :clap:

vdeane

It's mostly dormant besides the Kamikaze Curve project, but projects that have significant reason to be done independent of I-86 do more forward.  Exit 131 is currently being rebuilt, and the reconstruction of exit 105 was recently announced.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Quote from: sparker on September 14, 2019, 03:11:46 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 14, 2019, 11:55:48 AM

I think he's referring to the old (and original) I-86 in CT and MA that reverted back to its original number of I-84 in 1984 after the Hartford-Providence freeway that was to become the rerouted I-84 was cancelled.  In other words, that I-86 got 86'ed!  :)
I know I was just joking but referring to the fact he brought up an interesting point many have forgotten.   That this current NY I-86 is a revision of the number on top of the one in Idaho, making I-86 more of just a typical two segment two digit interstate.

I-76, I-84, and I-88 were all first in their segments where I-86 was three actual alignments.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on September 15, 2019, 08:26:03 PM
the reconstruction of exit 105 was recently announced.

What's wrong with Exit 105?
If they're looking for outdated cloverleaves to reconstruct, there are several in Buffalo..

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on September 16, 2019, 12:11:45 PM

If they're looking for outdated cloverleaves to reconstruct, there are several in Buffalo..
It was announced along with a bunch of other freight improvement projects (first entry for the Mid-Hudson Region).  Rothman's list of outstanding I-86 projects included one labeled "Upgrade of deficient features on NY 42 from Monticello through the interchange with NY 17", which would be that location.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

It's located along a rather long curve with limited sight distances. There also is just not enough traffic either to justify a full cloverleaf interchange.

machias

At one time, R9 had one direction signed as "exit 105b" .  (Yes, all lowercase letters). I called it Exit 105 B-flat.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

sparker

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cl94

Back on topic...

I drove through the Exit 131 construction today and it is operating as a DDI. This is likely new within the last couple of weeks and none of the online map platforms show it. It's a 2-lane exit from I-87 with an option lane. Detour ramp to 6/17 WB remains in place, don't think the new WB entrance ramp is open yet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GreenLanternCorps

According to the NYSDOT Prospect Mountain webpage, the project should be completed by 1 MAR 2020.  Anyone local know if this indeed is the case?  Will I-86 then be signed from South Waverly to Binghamton?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region9/projects/prospect-mountain-route-17

(You have to scroll down a bit to see it.)

cl94

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 06, 2020, 07:06:44 AM
According to the NYSDOT Prospect Mountain webpage, the project should be completed by 1 MAR 2020.  Anyone local know if this indeed is the case?  Will I-86 then be signed from South Waverly to Binghamton?

https://www.dot.ny.gov/regional-offices/region9/projects/prospect-mountain-route-17

I think there is still a holdup in Tioga County. It has been signed through Broome County for a while.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

vdeane

Most signs in Broome County have TO banners on them, though, unless that's changed recently.  As far as I know, the issues in Tioga County were addressed years ago, but it was never extended to NY 26 for some reason.  There's some issue between there and Prospect Mountain.

cl94

TO banners were generally nonexistent in November as far as I remember. I can check when down there next weekend.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on February 06, 2020, 01:31:31 PM
TO banners were generally nonexistent in November as far as I remember. I can check when down there next weekend.
To clarify: I was referring to these things, not the I-81 signs.

empirestate

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 06, 2020, 07:06:44 AM

Dunno about the designation part, but having traveled through very recently, the work at Binghamton does indeed seem to be at or near completion.

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure Interstate 86 will be signposted from Exit 60 to Interstate 81. I doubt Interstate 86 will be signposted east of Exit 79 until they upgrade the whole roadway to Interstate Standards, and eliminate the at-grade intersections in Hale Eddy.

vdeane

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 07, 2020, 04:55:06 PM
I'm sure Interstate 86 will be signposted from Exit 60 to Interstate 81. I doubt Interstate 86 will be signposted east of Exit 79 until they upgrade the whole roadway to Interstate Standards, and eliminate the at-grade intersections in Hale Eddy.
There's still some kind of issue west of Binghamton, unless Region 9 snuck in some upgrades in the Vestal/Johnson City area.  I'm not aware of any upgrades on that stretch of NY 17, however.
http://nysroads.com/images/i86-remaining.jpg

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on February 07, 2020, 08:57:33 PM
There's still some kind of issue west of Binghamton, unless Region 9 snuck in some upgrades in the Vestal/Johnson City area.  I'm not aware of any upgrades on that stretch of NY 17, however.

Some of that was incorporated as part of the Prospect Mountain project. 72 was blown up and rebuilt, while 71's bad decel lane was lengthened. My GUESS is that it's the deceleration lanes at Exits 68 and 69 that are the problem.

SGwithADD

Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2020, 09:10:34 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 07, 2020, 08:57:33 PM

Some of that was incorporated as part of the Prospect Mountain project. 72 was blown up and rebuilt, while 71's bad decel lane was lengthened. My GUESS is that it's the deceleration lanes at Exits 68 and 69 that are the problem.

My understanding is that Exit 68 has been the real problem. I remember reading years ago that the exit wasn't going to be grandfathered in for completion, and it has a few problems: partial exit, very short decel lane, and an accel lane that quickly turns into an exit lane for Exit 67N.  There had been some rumblings in the town about replacing the exit with a new interchange along with a bridge between Vestal and Endwell (connecting Sycamore Rd. and Hooper Rd. in one configuration), but those plans have been sidelined for at least a decade now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.