News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Snack Crackers

Started by roadman65, August 21, 2019, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What snack (Vending Machine) cracker do you like best?

Lance
0 (0%)
Keebler
1 (7.7%)
Frito Lay
2 (15.4%)
Generic Brands
1 (7.7%)
Other brands
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2019, 11:51:21 AM
Am I the only one that calls all varieties of sandwich snack crackers "Nabs" regardless of what brand they are?

I'm not as big a fan of Lance (sorry Bugo) as I am Austin. Ritz has some good Nabs. Their crackers are a bit saltier than some others. Ritz has a tasty cheese & bacon cracker out now that I like, but can't find in my area.

"Nabs" is (or was) a very common term in Eastern NC (where my father is from) describing sandwich type cracker/cookies.

adventurernumber1

My absolute favorite snack crackers might have to be Ritz. I absolutely love the saltiness and tastiness of the crackers, and I also love putting peanut butter on some of the crackers at times, which tastes pretty good.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

If we're just talking about crunchy snacks, and not sandwich crackers, then I've always been a fan of Cheez-Its. I prefer them to Nabisco's Cheese Nips. I've found that Walmart's Great Value knockoff is very much similar to Cheez-Its.

I don't necessarily regard Ritz, Town House, Club, or saltines as "snack crackers." I just call them crackers.

I crumble up saltines and put them in my soup. Club Crackers are not so good for that, except for chicken noodle soup.

For some reason, when I was a kid, my brother and I called Club Crackers "meanness crackers." I don't know the origin of that, and my parents are long since dead so I can't ask them.

Does anyone remember Chicken-in-a-Biscuit?

EDIT: Someone did upthread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 24, 2019, 03:28:04 PM
My absolute favorite snack crackers might have to be Ritz. I absolutely love the saltiness and tastiness of the crackers, and I also love putting peanut butter on some of the crackers at times, which tastes pretty good.

Ritz crackers are good, but used to be better years ago. Makes me sound old, complaining about that at my age! But it's true.

As far as snack crackers go, you can't beat Cheez-Its and all their varieties.

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 23, 2019, 09:56:51 PM
Am I the only one that calls all varieties of sandwich snack crackers "Nabs" regardless of what brand they are?

I'm not as big a fan of Lance (sorry Bugo) as I am Austin. Ritz has some good Nabs. Their crackers are a bit saltier than some others. Ritz has a tasty cheese & bacon cracker out now that I like, but can't find in my area.

"Nabs" is (or was) a very common term in Eastern NC (where my father is from) describing sandwich type cracker/cookies.

Yep. I grew up there (Wayne County) and everyone I've heard calls them "nabs" ...except me. I just call them crackers.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tolbs17

Quote from: LM117 on August 24, 2019, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on August 23, 2019, 09:56:51 PM

Yep. I grew up there (Wayne County) and everyone I've heard calls them "nabs" ...except me. I just call them crackers.

Me 2. I call them crackers. I don't know why they say "nabs".

MNHighwayMan

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2019, 09:35:14 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2019, 09:05:28 PM

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
Good:
Triscuit
Club
Town House
Cheez-It Grooves

OK:
Cheez-It
Wheat Thins
Chikin-in-a-Biskit
Ritz

I'm on board with this list.  You bring the crackers, I'll provide the cheese and wine!

I was going to have a "bad" category, then decided you can't really go wrong with crackers.
I could definitely list some bad cheese though, and probably wine too. I might pass if blue cheese or American slices are on the menu.

You almost just disinvited yourself.  There is no such thing as a bad cheese.  Also, American is not cheese.  That's two strikes.  The wine thing I'll give you:  there are definitely some bad wines.

But on a serious note, I agree that it's really hard to go wrong with crackers.  For plain or lightly flavored crackers:  I enjoy them plain, topped with cheese spread, topped with a slice of cheese, topped with summer sausage and cheese, topped with peanut butter...  But for cheesy crackers (Cheez-It of any variety), I've only ever tried them plain.

I'll eat any cracker plain, even ones other people don't enjoy.  Saltines, for example:  I crumble them up in Wendy's chili and eat them when I have the stomach flu like everyone else, but I also don't mind eating them plain as a snack as long as I have a drink to go with them.  Now that I'm thinking of it, they probably wouldn't be too bad of an accompaniment to a martini.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

By the way, I haven't voted in this poll.  That's because I have no idea who manufactures which crackers.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on August 24, 2019, 08:09:48 PM
But for cheesy crackers (Cheez-It of any variety), I've only ever tried them plain.

Get a can of aerosol cheese and put that on them. Tasty.

kphoger

Another obscure one:  Pik-Nik shoestring potatoes.
Male pronouns, please.

csw

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 25, 2019, 02:39:11 AM
But for cheesy crackers (Cheez-It of any variety), I've only ever tried them plain.

Get a can of aerosol cheese and put that on them. Tasty.
Now why would you match up the Queen of crackers that is a Cheez-it with the peasant of all foods, cheez whiz? Just why.

bandit957

I used to like Easy Cheese, but it's ridiculously overpriced, half of it never comes out of the canister, and you don't know when it's empty until it's empty.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2019, 09:35:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 23, 2019, 09:05:28 PM
I'm on board with this list.  You bring the crackers, I'll provide the cheese and wine!
I was going to have a "bad" category, then decided you can't really go wrong with crackers.
I could definitely list some bad cheese though, and probably wine too. I might pass if blue cheese or American slices are on the menu.
You almost just disinvited yourself.  There is no such thing as a bad cheese.  Also, American is not cheese.  That's two strikes.

American is bad precisely because it isn't cheese (although some people think it is), so I guess those two strikes can be reduced to one. My main dislikes are blue cheese and ricotta, but I am willing to try anything at least once.
I pretty much agree re: snack crackers. And given I'm only 20, no further comment about wines!

QuoteSaltines, for example:  I crumble them up in Wendy's chili, and eat them when I have the stomach flu like everyone else.

First I wondered why you would eat Wendy's chili when you have the stomach flu.. then I added some punctuation and it all made sense. :-P

bandit957

One day in 1st grade, someone mentioned 'Sesame Street', and someone started singing, "Sesame Street...snack crackers" to the tune of the Sesame Wheats commersh.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ozarkman417

I would have to with Ritz's peanut butter cracker sandwiches. However I also carry along Rice Krispies Treats & nature valley bars with me as well when I go on a long hike.

Mark68

Does anybody else remember Doo Dads Snack Mix (from Nabisco)? It was the best snack mix (besides homemade Chex mix, that is).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mark68 on August 26, 2019, 11:59:23 AM
Does anybody else remember Doo Dads Snack Mix (from Nabisco)? It was the best snack mix (besides homemade Chex mix, that is)?

Loved these as a child in the mid 70s...

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 25, 2019, 08:55:43 PM
dislike... ricotta

Three strikes, you're out!  You're no longer invited.  More wine for me!

Quote from: webny99 on August 25, 2019, 08:55:43 PM
I wondered why you would eat Wendy's chili when you have the stomach flu..

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the best idea, does it?
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mark68 on August 26, 2019, 11:59:23 AM
Does anybody else remember Doo Dads Snack Mix (from Nabisco)? It was the best snack mix (besides homemade Chex mix, that is).

Yep. My dad called it "floor sweepings."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Used to be a company called Educator that made a snack cracker called Beer Chasers.  Even to this day, I still consider them to be some of the best crackers ever made. 

I used to be partial to Nabisco's Chicken in a Biscuit crackers, except they have far too much sodium for me now.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.