News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Redesigned State Highway Signs for Delaware

Started by Duke87, January 20, 2010, 03:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Quote from: bugo on March 17, 2010, 04:54:49 AM
Quote from: leifvanderwall on March 16, 2010, 05:48:45 PM
Delaware should ditch the circle design on their state route signs simply because New Jersey has the same thing.

I want one, and only one state to keep the circle.  It's not a bad symbol for a highway, although a bit boring.  It's good enough to be the marker for one state.  And while we're at it, get rid of the generic squares (IN, IL, TX, MA).  There is nothing attractive about them.  And they resemble other types of signs such as speed limit signs.  But I don't want the circle to completely go away.
Only one state should keep the circle, and that should be the most boring state in the Union: Iowa.

agentsteel53

Kentucky is pretty boring too - other than one cutout US shield, that is!  Since Iowa has no cutout US shields left, as far as I know, yes let us force them to keep the circle. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

papaT10932

I think Iowa has a great shape for a state outline highway shield. Kentucky and Mississippi would be a little harder, but I'm sure it could be done. A Daniel Boone coon-skin hat for Kentucky and a magnolia for Mississippi??

mightyace

Quote from: algorerhythms on March 17, 2010, 01:41:18 PM
Only one state should keep the circle, and that should be the most boring state in the Union: Iowa.

IMHO Indiana is most boring.  However, as they have a square not a circle, yet let Iowa keep it!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 17, 2010, 02:10:41 PM
I think Iowa has a great shape for a state outline highway shield. Kentucky and Mississippi would be a little harder, but I'm sure it could be done. A Daniel Boone coon-skin hat for Kentucky and a magnolia for Mississippi??

The Kentucky state outline could be handled in the same matter as the Florida shield and the Oklahoma meat cleaver.  Mississippi would work as a regular state outline, especially if you stretch the shape horizontally.  And I agree that the Iowa state outline would make a nice route marker.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on March 17, 2010, 07:31:03 PMMississippi would work as a regular state outline, especially if you stretch the shape horizontally. 

that would be a hideous idea!  I like the classic triangle with MISS spelled out vertically.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

papaT10932

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 17, 2010, 08:34:58 PM
Quote from: bugo on March 17, 2010, 07:31:03 PMMississippi would work as a regular state outline, especially if you stretch the shape horizontally.

that would be a hideous idea!  I like the classic triangle with MISS spelled out vertically.

I agree. Alabama tried that. EPIC FAIL.

mightyace

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 17, 2010, 08:50:33 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 17, 2010, 08:34:58 PM

I agree. Alabama tried that. EPIC FAIL.

Particularly the 3 digit routes.  UGH!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

froggie

I don't mind the Alabama shields.  It's simple.  It isn't a square or circle.  And it gets the job done.

Ian

Quote from: froggie on March 18, 2010, 07:23:24 AM
I don't mind the Alabama shields.  It's simple.  It isn't a square or circle.  And it gets the job done.

I agree. The only thing that gets stretched in the shield is the north and south borders, which doesn't look all to bad. If Mississippi did it, it would look all to similar to Alabama (would look like a mirror image of the Alabama shield).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.