News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on August 22, 2019, 12:49:42 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 21, 2019, 08:57:15 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 03:19:45 PMFor the stretch north of the Exit 129/NJ Turnpike (I-95); there are still three mainline toll plazas where even one with E-ZPass still has to slow down to pass through.  Two of them are northbound, before Exit 142/I-78 & just beyond Exit 159/I-80; and one southbound toll plaza located just before Exit 149/CR 506.  Only the southbound toll plaza prior to Exit 165 has E-ZPass Express lanes; again only referring to the stretch north of Exit 129.

I was surprised to see those plazas were still all-traditional lanes.

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.  The EZ Pass lanes are signed at 15 mph.  They just hope you're going under 40.  (Fun fact he's probably not aware of...they don't even require you to stop in the exact change lanes, as long as you can get all your change in the basket.  On occasion they'll place State Troopers in those lanes to make sure people are throwing in the correct amount of change.  They'll write up a ticket and send the registered owner of the vehicle a ticket for failing to pay the proper toll, but they'll never worry about the fact you didn't stop)
Bergen, Essex, and Union are the three most urban toll plazas, and that may have played a role. There's already so much weaving going on at all three of these locations that adding another decision point may have been deemed unwise.

There's also the literal lack of space approaching all three of those plazas that likely led to the decision that there wasn't enough room to properly build out even a separation barrier and sufficient accel and deccel lanes. After all three, the lefthand lanes of the plaza have to squeeze over fairly quickly to resume a narrower roadway. If I'm not mistaken, these were some of the reasons they chose not to redo Toms River with Express EZ-Pass lanes as well.

SteveG1988

Got back from a trip to AC and Wildwood today, The new GSP Great Egg bridges are nice, i'd consider the northbound Great Egg Harbor bridge to be brand new on old piers since everything you drive on is brand new, even the girders. Is it the same bridge since it's in the same spot, is it a new bridge due to the structure that actually spans the harbor being new? I don't know but i do know one fact. US9 is signed onto the parkway, not as a Temporary US9 sign either, but a perma US9 sign.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

famartin

Quote from: SteveG1988 on August 23, 2019, 10:10:10 PM
Got back from a trip to AC and Wildwood today, The new GSP Great Egg bridges are nice, i'd consider the northbound Great Egg Harbor bridge to be brand new on old piers since everything you drive on is brand new, even the girders. Is it the same bridge since it's in the same spot, is it a new bridge due to the structure that actually spans the harbor being new? I don't know but i do know one fact. US9 is signed onto the parkway, not as a Temporary US9 sign either, but a perma US9 sign.
I don't think there are any plans to put 9 back on its own bridge.

SteveG1988

Quote from: famartin on August 23, 2019, 11:46:26 PM

Yeah, even when it was a foregone conclusion they kept the Temp banner on US9. I wonder if they were hopeful.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Question is whether the next SLDs will show 9 rerouted. I do not know whether jurisdictions have been swapped yet in Cape May County, but I have a suspicion it's county or town north of the turnoff.

famartin

Quote from: Alps on August 25, 2019, 01:31:48 AM
Question is whether the next SLDs will show 9 rerouted. I do not know whether jurisdictions have been swapped yet in Cape May County, but I have a suspicion it's county or town north of the turnoff.
Not sure, though they did add the new mileposts to the section in question.

Alps

Quote from: famartin on August 25, 2019, 03:32:37 AM
Any idea when those were added? The indication I got that it may now be local jurisdiction was relatively recent.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

famartin

Quote from: Alps on August 25, 2019, 10:03:42 AM
Quote from: famartin on August 25, 2019, 03:32:37 AM
Any idea when those were added? The indication I got that it may now be local jurisdiction was relatively recent.
Last year in September it had the new mileposts. It's possible it changed hands more recently (perhaps the mileposts gave someone the idea)

SteveG1988

Hey...odd thing i also noticed. No more "conditions permitting" on the parkway speed limit signs put on on the rebuilt great egg harbor bridges, which is 65 going north btw.
Roads Clinched

storm2k

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2019, 12:50:49 PM
Hey...odd thing i also noticed. No more "conditions permitting" on the parkway speed limit signs put on on the rebuilt great egg harbor bridges, which is 65 going north btw.

Since the Turnpike Authority took over ownership of the Parkway, they've been phasing out the classic "Conditions Permitting" signs for standard MUTCD speed limit signs. I think it's only on an as needed basis, but those signs will all be gone eventually.

SteveG1988

Quote from: storm2k on September 02, 2019, 12:57:09 PM

Since the Turnpike Authority took over ownership of the Parkway, they've been phasing out the classic "Conditions Permitting" signs for standard MUTCD speed limit signs. I think it's only on an as needed basis, but those signs will all be gone eventually.

Nice i guess. I am wondering why they didn't do VMS for the bridge, adjusting the speed for conditions on it.
Roads Clinched

jeffandnicole

Some newer AC Expressway speed limit signage also lacks the Conditions Permitting note as well.

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2019, 02:13:26 PM

Nice i guess. I am wondering why they didn't do VMS for the bridge, adjusting the speed for conditions on it.
VSLS (variable speed limit signs) are Turnpike only.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2019, 10:40:38 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2019, 02:13:26 PM

VSLS (variable speed limit signs) are for amusement only.

storm2k

The LED canopy signs at the Exit 145 toll plaza are done, and I got a picture of them today:

ixnay

IIRC the PA Turnpike had "conditions permitting" signs under their speed limit signs years ago.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ixnay on September 18, 2019, 08:20:06 PMIIRC the PA Turnpike had "conditions permitting" signs under their speed limit signs years ago.
Such must've been decades ago.  I've periodically used the PA Turnpike since 1990 and never saw those supplemental signs.

I know that similar signage existed along the Maine Turnpike as well... at least from the 80s and earlier.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theroadwayone

Quote from: storm2k on August 22, 2019, 10:43:02 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 03:19:45 PMFor the stretch north of the Exit 129/NJ Turnpike (I-95); there are still three mainline toll plazas where even one with E-ZPass still has to slow down to pass through.  Two of them are northbound, before Exit 142/I-78 & just beyond Exit 159/I-80; and one southbound toll plaza located just before Exit 149/CR 506.  Only the southbound toll plaza prior to Exit 165 has E-ZPass Express lanes; again only referring to the stretch north of Exit 129.

But to MrHappy's point...people don't need to stop; they just need to slow down.  The EZ Pass lanes are signed at 15 mph.  They just hope you're going under 40.  (Fun fact he's probably not aware of...they don't even require you to stop in the exact change lanes, as long as you can get all your change in the basket.  On occasion they'll place State Troopers in those lanes to make sure people are throwing in the correct amount of change.  They'll write up a ticket and send the registered owner of the vehicle a ticket for failing to pay the proper toll, but they'll never worry about the fact you didn't stop)
Bergen, Essex, and Union are the three most urban toll plazas, and that may have played a role. There's already so much weaving going on at all three of these locations that adding another decision point may have been deemed unwise.

There's also the literal lack of space approaching all three of those plazas that likely led to the decision that there wasn't enough room to properly build out even a separation barrier and sufficient accel and deccel lanes. After all three, the lefthand lanes of the plaza have to squeeze over fairly quickly to resume a narrower roadway. If I'm not mistaken, these were some of the reasons they chose not to redo Toms River with Express EZ-Pass lanes as well.
I thought Toms River had Express EZ-Pass.

storm2k

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 20, 2019, 01:08:22 AM
Quote from: storm2k on August 22, 2019, 10:43:02 AM

I thought Toms River had Express EZ-Pass.

Quite correct. I was thinking of the Great Egg plaza. That's right before the bridge so it has to compress back down to two lanes very quickly.

NJRoadfan

Construction has finally started at the New Gretna toll plaza for Express E-ZPass lanes This is long overdue and should have been done during the widening project.

ixnay

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 19, 2019, 08:31:28 AM
Quote from: ixnay on September 18, 2019, 08:20:06 PMIIRC the PA Turnpike had "conditions permitting" signs under their speed limit signs years ago.
Such must've been decades ago.  I've periodically used the PA Turnpike since 1990 and never saw those supplemental signs.

In the early '70s I could see such a sign from the campus of the private school I was attending middle school at, a campus which butted up against the PA Pike (the Pike is on an embankment in that stretch).

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

theroadwayone

So a day or two ago (Jeremy Clarkson voice) I went on the internet and I found this:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/mikenew/new-jersey-turnpike-vs-garden-state-parkway

Alps

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 25, 2019, 10:44:06 PM
So a day or two ago (Jeremy Clarkson voice) I went on the internet and I found this:
https://www.sporcle.com/games/mikenew/new-jersey-turnpike-vs-garden-state-parkway
Which roadway has more lanes at its widest is wrong. Look north of EWR is all I'll say.

signalman

Quote from: Alps on September 26, 2019, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: theroadwayone on September 25, 2019, 10:44:06 PM
Which roadway has more lanes at its widest is wrong. Look north of EWR is all I'll say.
That was the only question that I got "wrong". I knew my answer was correct though. As far as I'm concerned, I scored perfectly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.