News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

I hope those big CATs were built in Peoria...

Cool looking photos, regardless

I drove around the I-69/SR 37 construction zone around Bloomington in late June -- and it looks like more progress is being made, regularly

Beltway

Quote from: ITB on August 28, 2017, 09:04:59 PM

A couple of very large off-highway trucks used at the Sample Road work zone. The one in back is a Caterpillar 777C, an impressive piece of equipment. Can you define big!?

Very large offroad earthwork haul truck.  Probably capacity of about 30 cubic yards of excavation.  Typical onroad dump truck is 10 to 15 cubic yards.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ITB

Here's a batch from the Bloomington area. Photos were taken August 27, 2017, unless otherwise identified. To expand the photos, right click and select "view photo." Use the arrow keys to navigate.

The sealed off Tapp Road/State Road 37 intersection; looking east. Although the signals have yet to be removed, crews have been working steadily to build up the ground for the future I-69/Tapp Road interchange. Similar to the interchange at Fullerton Pike, two roundabouts will be constructed on Tapp Road, one on each side of the interstate.

Another perspective of the work underway at Tapp Road; looking slightly northeast.

Looking southeast from Tapp Road toward SR 37. Part of the Fullerton Pike interchange is visible in the background. The dirt path sloping down to SR 37 is the future on-ramp for I-69 southbound from Tapp Road.

The view looking northeast from near Tapp Road. Crews have started to build up the ground–a process call loose lift in construction lingo–for the southbound exit ramp to Tapp (left).

Mid-range view looking south from Tapp Road.

Closer look at the closed Tapp Road/SR 37 crossing; looking east. On Tapp Road just beyond SR 37, crews excavated a rather large hole, then proceeded to fill it with rock. Additional rock will be placed for the base of the future eastern roundabout. When the correct height is reached, the mound will be covered with dirt, after which construction of the traffic circle will commence.

Construction continues on the last little section of roadway to connect the the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 (future I-69) interchange to Fullerton Pike (pictured) east of SR 37; looking southeast.

Long-range perspective of the Tapp Road work zone; looking east.

edwaleni

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 22, 2017, 08:54:21 AM
I heard US 41 was a mess over the ohio due to the eclipse traffic.

Name any road going north from the eclipse zone and you will hear of the traffic.

Visit some of the other state threads where the eclipse went full and you will hear the same thing.

Illinois threads say it was bumper to bumper all the way up all the major routes, US-51, US-45, IL-1, I-57, IL-3.

I am guessing I-69 had a healthy traffic load just after.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: edwaleni on September 01, 2017, 09:45:07 PM

Name any road going north from the eclipse zone and you will hear of the traffic.

Visit some of the other state threads where the eclipse went full and you will hear the same thing.

Illinois threads say it was bumper to bumper all the way up all the major routes, US-51, US-45, IL-1, I-57, IL-3.

Driving back from St Louis that night, I lost 1 hour just going through Effingham, IL. I-70 was fine, but I-57 was bumper to bumper.

Rothman

TN 111 was okay.  Slowed down in a couple of towns, but not terrible.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Captain Jack

Quote from: westerninterloper on August 22, 2017, 07:47:44 PM
Interesting map - I didn't know that the Dixie Highway looped around the lower peninsula. I also thought that it went south on US 41 in Indiana, based solely on the local name of US41 South in Terre Haute, the Dixie Bee Highway. Was that ever a Dixie Highway?

After the creation of the Dixie Highway, Evansville Mayor Benjamin Bosse and other key political figures in Terre Haute, Vincennes, Henderson, Hopkinsville, etc created the Dixie Bee Highway in 1915, a more direct highway between Chicago and Nashville. The name was to insinuate that this was the bee-line for the Dixie Highway. This route became the preferred route between Chicago and the south, and resulted in it being chosen for US 41 a decade later.

There are still references to the Dixie Bee Line in addition to the mentioned street in Terre Haute. In Evansville, there is a neighborhood along Stringtown Road that is named Dixie Bee. In fact, at the entrance, there is a marker that not only says "Dixie Bee" but has Stringtown Road marked as Dixie Bee Boulevard. In Crofton, KY, the Bee Line Motel sat along US 41 for many years, only recently torn down.

Here is a link to an Evansville Courier and Press article on the history of the Dixie Bee and US 41.

http://archive.courierpress.com/news/before-there-was-us-41-there-was-the-dixie-bee-line-ep-860516321-324821851.html

thefro

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/36242333/indot-to-discuss-refined-option-for-i-69-section-6

New public meetings next week for I-69 Section 6 where they will show the "refined preferred alternative" and take comments.

Quote from: Inside Indiana BusinessIndiana Department of Transportation officials will next month hold public meetings to update modifications made to the preferred path of the final section of the I-69 expansion. INDOT says the sessions in Martinsville, Indianapolis and Greenwood will cover a "refined preferred alternative" for Section 6 that has been reviewed by the Federal Highway Administration.

The initial preferred alternative was detailed in the project's Draft Environmental Impact Statement released in March and survey work began in May. The Indianapolis to Martinsville section will follow State Road 37.

I-69 Section 6 Project Manager Sarah Rubin says "the final refinements we'll be sharing were based on feedback from INDOT planners, project stakeholders and the general public. The project team has worked diligently to incorporate that input into a refined preferred alternative that reduces impacts in certain areas while meeting the purpose and need of the overall project."

The meetings will take place at the following locations:

Martinsville High School, Tuesday, September 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Perry Meridian High School in Indianapolis, Wednesday, September 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Center Grove High School in Greenwood, Thursday, September 14 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
INDOT will take public comments about the refined preferred alternative until September 26.

Also, DEIS/FHWA are both expected in Q1 2018

hoosierguy

hoosierguy

The state doesn't have anywhere near the $ to fully finish Section 6, which will cost billions of $. If they can finish the highway to SR 144 at least that would be fine for now. The portion through Johnson and Marion Counties will be very expensive due to land acquisition costs and the complex interchange that has to be built at I-465.

ilpt4u

Quote from: hoosierguy on September 05, 2017, 05:21:16 PM
The state doesn't have anywhere near the $ to fully finish Section 6, which will cost billions of $. If they can finish the highway to SR 144 at least that would be fine for now. The portion through Johnson and Marion Counties will be very expensive due to land acquisition costs and the complex interchange that has to be built at I-465.
Don't think the former IN Gov, now VP, will get a little bit of Pork in the Trump Infrastructure Bill (assuming it ever happens), and the Feds pick up the bill?

It wouldn't surprise me all that much

westerninterloper

Quote from: Captain Jack on September 05, 2017, 02:37:55 AM
Quote from: westerninterloper on August 22, 2017, 07:47:44 PM
Interesting map - I didn't know that the Dixie Highway looped around the lower peninsula. I also thought that it went south on US 41 in Indiana, based solely on the local name of US41 South in Terre Haute, the Dixie Bee Highway. Was that ever a Dixie Highway?

After the creation of the Dixie Highway, Evansville Mayor Benjamin Bosse and other key political figures in Terre Haute, Vincennes, Henderson, Hopkinsville, etc created the Dixie Bee Highway in 1915, a more direct highway between Chicago and Nashville. The name was to insinuate that this was the bee-line for the Dixie Highway. This route became the preferred route between Chicago and the south, and resulted in it being chosen for US 41 a decade later.

There are still references to the Dixie Bee Line in addition to the mentioned street in Terre Haute. In Evansville, there is a neighborhood along Stringtown Road that is named Dixie Bee. In fact, at the entrance, there is a marker that not only says "Dixie Bee" but has Stringtown Road marked as Dixie Bee Boulevard. In Crofton, KY, the Bee Line Motel sat along US 41 for many years, only recently torn down.

Here is a link to an Evansville Courier and Press article on the history of the Dixie Bee and US 41.

http://archive.courierpress.com/news/before-there-was-us-41-there-was-the-dixie-bee-line-ep-860516321-324821851.html

thank you!!
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

hoosierguy

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 05, 2017, 07:51:19 PM
Don't think the former IN Gov, now VP, will get a little bit of Pork in the Trump Infrastructure Bill (assuming it ever happens), and the Feds pick up the bill?

No, he is a right winger. They don't want to spend public money on infrastructure. Trump's plan is to give tax credits to incentivize private interests to build and maintain roads, highways, and bridges. Meaning Section 6 would be a for-profit toll highway.

silverback1065

Quote from: hoosierguy on September 05, 2017, 09:39:25 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 05, 2017, 07:51:19 PM

like many of his "accomplishments" it won't happen.  the gas tax increase will pay for it.

No, he is a right winger. They don't want to spend public money on infrastructure. Trump's plan is to give tax credits to incentivize private interests to build and maintain roads, highways, and bridges. Meaning Section 6 would be a for-profit toll highway.

thefro

They have money budgeted to start on Section 6 since the gas tax increase passed.

They at least claim they have the money over a 20-year plan to finish the whole thing (although they might do another P3).

EngineerTM

Quote from: thefro on September 06, 2017, 09:48:07 AM

They have money budgeted to start on Section 6 since the gas tax increase passed.

They at least claim they have the money over a 20-year plan to finish the whole thing (although they might do another P3).

I recently attended in-house training, and one of the deputy commissioners in attendance confirmed that, at minimum, INDOT has the money allocated to prioritize construction of the first 1/3rd or so length of Section 6 to get I-69 (estimated at approximately $500 mil) through and past Martinsville.  This will eliminate a good amount of the traffic lights before getting into Marion county.  This construction is due to start shortly after the ROD is final.  The deputy commissioner also stated that INDOT is pushing real hard to complete Section 5 by the August 2018 date.  Based on what I've recently observed on-site, I'm beginning to feel confident that this date is attainable.

EngineerTM

The running joke is that, this time, Indiana is not being pushed by a governor to complete Section 6 so that he can take a motorcycle cruise on ribbon cutting day before he leaves office!

ITB

The State of Indiana is well positioned to fully fund Section 6. The 10¢ increase in the gas tax, which went into effect in July, as well as modestly boosted vehicle registration fees, are expected to bring in an additional $6.4 billion over seven years. Now, of course, not all that money will be used for roads and bridges, but a substantial portion will be.

The cost to build Section 6 is currently estimated at $1.5 billion. The project is expected to take six years to complete, so that averages out to $250 million per year. That's reasonable.

https://www.multistate.us/blog/indiana-passes-10-cents-per-gallon-gas-tax-increase

hoosierguy

Quote from: ITB on September 06, 2017, 01:55:27 PM

The State of Indiana is well positioned to fully fund Section 6. The 10¢ increase in the gas tax, which went into effect in July, as well as modestly boosted vehicle registration fees, are expected to bring in an additional $6.4 billion over seven years. Now, of course, not all that money will be used for roads and bridges, but a substantial portion will be.

The cost to build Section 6 is currently estimated at $1.5 billion. The project is expected to take six years to complete, so that averages out to $250 million per year. That's reasonable.

https://www.multistate.us/blog/indiana-passes-10-cents-per-gallon-gas-tax-increase

Well that's good to hear. Now that the state has the $ hopefully they don't do another disastrous P3 and instead manage the project themselves.

captkirk_4

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on September 02, 2017, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on September 01, 2017, 09:45:07 PM

Driving back from St Louis that night, I lost 1 hour just going through Effingham, IL. I-70 was fine, but I-57 was bumper to bumper.

I went to the eclipse and watched it just a few miles south of Carbondale. I left a couple minutes after and it took 6 hours just to get up to Interstate 64.

Is this stretch of Indiana 37 being converted into Interstate 69 the same stretch of Highway where they filmed that scene in Breaking Away where the kid who was pretending to be Italian was racing that semi-truck on his bicycle?

ITB

A few more photos. Pictures were taken Friday, September 8, 2017, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, right click then select "view photo." Use the arrow keys to navigate.

Looking north from near the overpass that carries Fullerton Pike over State Road 37 (future I-69) in Monroe County, Indiana. The Tapp Road work zone is in the mid-background. The lights there, which are set to constant green for SR 37 traffic, will be removed soon. The overpass beyond Tapp carries SR 45/Bloomfield Road. In the deep background is the railroad bridge (blue) and the overpass for SR 48/Third Street.

Another perspective looking north from near the Fullerton Pike overpass toward the work zone at Tapp Road.

As evening approaches, the work day wraps for a paving crew on State Road 37 near Fullerton Pike; looking south from the Fullerton Pike overpass.

The view looking slightly southwest from the Fullerton Pike overpass.

The decorative railing and light fixtures on the Fullerton Pike overpass; looking east.

The eastern roundabout of the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 interchange; looking east. In the background, a sliver of Rhorer Road can be seen. Plans are to directly connect Fullerton Pike to Rhorer to create an east-west arterial on the south side of Bloomington.

Traffic is now able to fully access Fullerton Pike west of the western roundabout (pictured) of the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 interchange; looking west.

Another view looking north from Fullerton Pike/SR 37 interchange.

Long range view looking south toward SR 37 from near Tapp Road.

Work is ongoing to build up the ground for the northbound I-69 exit and entrance ramps at Tapp Road; looking southeast.

Closer look at the work zone just south of Tapp Road; looking south. On the right is the exit ramp to Fullerton Pike.

And one last look at the crew calling it day near the Fullerton Pike overpass; looking southeast.

ITB

Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 10, 2017, 01:49:27 PM
Is this stretch of Indiana 37 being converted into Interstate 69 the same stretch of Highway where they filmed that scene in Breaking Away where the kid who was pretending to be Italian was racing that semi-truck on his bicycle?

Yes, it appears to be. The scene takes place on 4-lane divided highway. There was only one such road in the Bloomington area at that time–State Road 37.

hoosierguy

It looks like there is room for five lanes of freeway south of Fullerton Pike. Two each for I-69 and SR 37 when they split plus a lane from the Fullerton Pike ramp? Or maybe there is just a large shoulder planned.

DJStephens

Quote from: ITB on September 10, 2017, 03:23:43 PM

Quote from: captkirk_4 on September 10, 2017, 01:49:27 PM

Yes, it appears to be. The scene takes place on 4-lane divided highway. There was only one such road in the Bloomington area at that time–State Road 37.

"Breaking Away" was released in theaters in either 1979 or 80.  The actors in the movie drove a 70-72 Buick Skylark in the movie, already ratty due to the severe winters.   

DJStephens

Quote from: hoosierguy on September 10, 2017, 04:11:03 PM
It looks like there is room for five lanes of freeway south of Fullerton Pike. Two each for I-69 and SR 37 when they split plus a lane from the Fullerton Pike ramp? Or maybe there is just a large shoulder planned.

Appears to be an intent for eventual eight lane cross - section with the required full width left shoulder.   Very good design here, building it right the first time, in a suburban/urban environment for additional capacity in the future should it be necessary.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.