News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate Shield Evolution

Started by CtrlAltDel, March 28, 2024, 01:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

The Wikipedia, and now the AARoads Wiki, have a discussion of how the US Route shield have changed over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_shield
https://wiki.aaroads.com/wiki/U.S._Route_shield

Is there something similar out there for the Interstate shield?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 28, 2024, 01:23:53 PMThe Wikipedia, and now the AARoads Wiki, have a discussion of how the US Route shield have changed over time.

Has the interstate shield changed all that much since it was adopted? I know there were varying proposals with different designs, but the actual design hasn't changed much other than most states dropping the state name.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mgk920

It's still a reworked and colorized version of the unit insignia of the USArmy's 2nd Infantry Division.

:nod:

Mike

Quillz

The Interstate shield has barely changed. 1961 brought neutered shields and then 1970 altered the geometry of the wide shield. 

Alex

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on March 28, 2024, 01:38:17 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 28, 2024, 01:23:53 PMThe Wikipedia, and now the AARoads Wiki, have a discussion of how the US Route shield have changed over time.

Has the interstate shield changed all that much since it was adopted? I know there were varying proposals with different designs, but the actual design hasn't changed much other than most states dropping the state name.

The border width was reduced with revisions. There are some adjustments with the crown height as well.
Best to look at the older specifications versus the standard neutered design to see the differences:

And some states dropped the state name early on, but kept the border width and crown height the same. This 1968 installation from Idaho is one of the earlier uses of that:

Rothman

Hm.  Can't remember the history of bubble shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2024, 11:18:32 PMHm.  Can't remember the history of bubble shields.
It has to involve some kind of drugs.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Quillz on March 28, 2024, 08:30:31 PMThe Interstate shield has barely changed. 1961 brought neutered shields and then 1970 altered the geometry of the wide shield.

Are those the only changes that have happened? I seem to recall that they recently changed the font of the 3DI shield.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Quillz

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 31, 2024, 05:06:54 PM
Quote from: Quillz on March 28, 2024, 08:30:31 PMThe Interstate shield has barely changed. 1961 brought neutered shields and then 1970 altered the geometry of the wide shield.

Are those the only changes that have happened? I seem to recall that they recently changed the font of the 3DI shield.
Not that I'm aware of. I believe the guidelines have always officially called for Series C, but I've also seen Series B and D. California, for example, has used Series D almost exclusively, by making the legend a little smaller. Then other states will use larger legend and make it Series B.

Scott5114

I actually found out something interesting about that recently. The 2004 SHS (that came out with the 2003 MUTCD) showed the text in the crown of the 3di shield as being in Series E. (Which actually kind of looks cool, honestly.) However, after it was published, it got errata'd out by a subsequent document, as an error. So if you just happened to reach for the SHS and never saw that errata document (say, because you started designing signs in the 2010s), you'd never know it was supposed to be Series C.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 01, 2024, 12:51:19 PM

I actually found out something interesting about that recently. The 2004 SHS (that came out with the 2003 MUTCD) showed the text in the crown of the 3di shield as being in Series E. (Which actually kind of looks cool, honestly.) However, after it was published, it got errata'd out by a subsequent document, as an error. So if you just happened to reach for the SHS and never saw that errata document (say, because you started designing signs in the 2010s), you'd never know it was supposed to be Series C.

And then there's this one.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 31, 2024, 07:41:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 28, 2024, 11:18:32 PMHm.  Can't remember the history of bubble shields.

Actually, the bubble shield is what you get when you widen out the existing 2di marker. Conversely, if you narrow a standard 3di marker, you get "pointy" markers such as some of those used on overheads in the Oklahoma City area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: hbelkins on April 01, 2024, 03:21:02 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 31, 2024, 07:41:53 AM

Actually, the bubble shield is what you get when you widen out the existing 2di marker. Conversely, if you narrow a standard 3di marker, you get "pointy" markers such as some of those used on overheads in the Oklahoma City area.
I know. I stand by my point about drugs.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

OCGuy81

Would you consider the black background Interstate shield to be an "evolution"?  These are pretty much used exclusively across Wisconsin now.  (Credit to billburmaster.com for the image)

Big John

^^ That is more Wisconsin's extensive use of unisigns.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2024, 09:13:48 AM^^ That is more Wisconsin's extensive use of unisigns.

I. think that that is just so that there is less opportunity for crews to mess up the signs in the field.

:-|

Mike

Quillz

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2024, 09:07:53 AMWould you consider the black background Interstate shield to be an "evolution"?  These are pretty much used exclusively across Wisconsin now.  (Credit to billburmaster.com for the image)

I'd consider it a de-evolution, and it also seems to be mainly a Wisconsin thing.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: OCGuy81 on April 02, 2024, 09:07:53 AMWould you consider the black background Interstate shield to be an "evolution"?  These are pretty much used exclusively across Wisconsin now.  (Credit to billburmaster.com for the image)

Not an evolution of anything; this is just an example of the cheeseheads being cheap. Using large low-quality wooden panels covered with a laminate saves a lot of money. Now, one could applaud this ingenuity. Or bemoan it's homeliness. I've always been a fan of cutout shields, so for me the black background with multiple shields is monotonous.

Oh, and the original style interstate shield rocks. It always looked sharp and still does, where it is used. The neutered variety is a significant downgrade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.