News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-35 Expansion in Temple, Section 2B (why not a "Spartanburg, SC" solution?)

Started by thisdj78, June 28, 2013, 08:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

In reading the timeline for I-35 expansion to 6 lanes, the last section to be completed will be 2B in Temple (est. 2017), understandably so because it involves replacing the elevated 4 lane sections:

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/my35/business/meetings/012612_presentation.pdf

Just wonder if it was ever considered to move I-35 west using the Dodgen Loop corridor? Seems like plenty of right of way available for future expansion and it could have been built concurrent with the other sections with minimal disruption:

I envision something similar to I-85 Spartanburg where they kept the original route as a Business route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Spartanburg,+SC&hl=en&ll=34.990629,-81.960411&spn=0.150477,0.338173&sll=31.098234,-97.342782&sspn=0.15728,0.338173&oq=sparta&gl=us&hnear=Spartanburg,+South+Carolina&t=m&z=12

US81

Seems like a workable solution - I wonder if it's been considered. I also wonder how much opposition there might be from commercial interests.

thisdj78

Quote from: US81 on June 29, 2013, 10:10:09 AM
Seems like a workable solution - I wonder if it's been considered. I also wonder how much opposition there might be from commercial interests.

Possible, but I don't think commercial interests would be hurt, specifically the retailers. There is retail activity at the 363 Loop and 35 but there is far more at the loop and 31st street which is much further into town away from 35. I would think other businesses that rely on frontage traffic would welcome an alternative that doesn't involve disruptions due to construction/closures etc.

Chris

It looks like Loop 363 is becoming a freeway in its own right. At least it looks like they are are constructing something in a substantial wider right-of-way, judging from recent Google Earth imagery, between SH 36 and I-35 north of Temple.

ethanhopkin14

It was considered.  In 2007 I worked on a survey project for the entire Loop 363 corridor, and at that time there was some serious considerations of re-routing I-35 on the loop.  I don't know what struck down those talks, because I know that the current plans are to upgrade I-35 on the spot.  I recently did a survey project for the Texas Roadhouse in Temple right off I-35, and the purpose of the survey was to ad parking lot to the back of the building because the state had acquired more right-of-way in the front and was close to taking that parking in the near future. 

thisdj78

Quote from: Chris on June 29, 2013, 01:34:43 PM
It looks like Loop 363 is becoming a freeway in its own right. At least it looks like they are are constructing something in a substantial wider right-of-way, judging from recent Google Earth imagery, between SH 36 and I-35 north of Temple.

Yes, they are converting it to freeway standards. This is why it makes more sense (at least to me) to route a 6-lane I-35 that direction, vs. go through the trouble of acquiring new right of way required for expansion on the existing route.

thisdj78

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on June 29, 2013, 02:52:43 PM

It was considered.  In 2007 I worked on a survey project for the entire Loop 363 corridor, and at that time there was some serious considerations of re-routing I-35 on the loop.  I don't know what struck down those talks, because I know that the current plans are to upgrade I-35 on the spot.  I recently did a survey project for the Texas Roadhouse in Temple right off I-35, and the purpose of the survey was to ad parking lot to the back of the building because the state had acquired more right-of-way in the front and was close to taking that parking in the near future.

Interesting. I wonder what made them decide against it.

longhorn

There was a plan to route I-35 to the west of Temple too,but what I understand the City of Temple did not want that fearing a loss of traffic for its businesses........Which is probably true.

longhorn

thisdj78

Quote from: longhorn on July 01, 2013, 09:56:14 AM
Removing the Viadact and reconfiguring Adams interchange while keeping traffic moving on one of the busiest freeways in Texas will be a mess.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/wac/notices/schematic_02_100411.pdf

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/waco/wac-ih35-temple.html

Exactly, especially since it will be the last section to be complete. People will be used to cruising at 6+ lanes of traffic coming from both directions only to be squeezed through Temple along with construction.

I understand the "loss of business" argument they may have brought up, but there isn't a significant amount of retail business concentrated along I-35 between the 363 exits that people would pass up, especially if there is a high speed business route that directs them there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.