News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EngineerTM

Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 09, 2018, 12:31:25 PM
Part of me wishes that the state would start from Indianapolis south on the project.  That way they would get the I-465 intersection and the first couple of miles completed with the initial construction on this phases.  That would be some of the worst traffic areas solved.  The Martinsville construction will be a cluster @#&$ with using the current roadway.  They really need to make sure that someone has set up a contract to pave IN-39 through Martinsville, because many of us will be using that to get over to IN-67.

Based on the meetings I've attended, the way that the construction is planned makes the most sense.  The first section around Martinsville (around 5 miles or so) contains around 7 at-grade intersections; of which 5 have traffic signals (and these signals are generally timed poorly; you get stopped at one, you are pretty much guaranteed to get stopped at all of them).  Getting this section done will eliminate the congestion and delays related to these stops.  After getting the construction past IN 44, drivers will have around 12 to 13 miles or so of uninterrupted traffic (no traffic signals) until reaching IN 144 (near Johnson County line).  Thus, once this first section is completed, drivers will have around 65% or so of Section 6 without traffic signals, which will greatly improve overall N-S transit times.

silverback1065

Quote from: EngineerTM on June 11, 2018, 11:00:50 AM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on June 09, 2018, 12:31:25 PM
Part of me wishes that the state would start from Indianapolis south on the project.  That way they would get the I-465 intersection and the first couple of miles completed with the initial construction on this phases.  That would be some of the worst traffic areas solved.  The Martinsville construction will be a cluster @#&$ with using the current roadway.  They really need to make sure that someone has set up a contract to pave IN-39 through Martinsville, because many of us will be using that to get over to IN-67.

Based on the meetings I've attended, the way that the construction is planned makes the most sense.  The first section around Martinsville (around 5 miles or so) contains around 7 at-grade intersections; of which 5 have traffic signals (and these signals are generally timed poorly; you get stopped at one, you are pretty much guaranteed to get stopped at all of them).  Getting this section done will eliminate the congestion and delays related to these stops.  After getting the construction past IN 44, drivers will have around 12 to 13 miles or so of uninterrupted traffic (no traffic signals) until reaching IN 144 (near Johnson County line).  Thus, once this first section is completed, drivers will have around 65% or so of Section 6 without traffic signals, which will greatly improve overall N-S transit times.

That and it is likely quicker to build than the marion county portion, which involves a ton of things, one of which is filling in a lake.  And i think that lake is an old rock quarry, so it's likely very deep.  not to mention all of the damn permits necessary for that.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 11, 2018, 11:15:01 AM

That and it is likely quicker to build than the marion county portion, which involves a ton of things, one of which is filling in a lake.  And i think that lake is an old rock quarry, so it's likely very deep.  not to mention all of the damn permits necessary for that.
I believe the "Refined Preferred Alternative" of the FEIS shifted the I-69/I-465 system interchange ramps away from that old quarry, eliminating the need to fill it in.
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/I69S6FEIS_APX_II_RPA_PlanandProfile.pdf

But you are correct in that INDOT is leaving the most difficult & expensive portion until last. The Southport Road interchange will be particularly so, due to the multiple business relocations in the NW quadrant. I still don't see why they couldn't have built the grade separation very close to the existing intersection and used a loop ramp in the SW quadrant for the SB 69/37 to Southport movement, since there seems to be adequate room there NE of the retention pond. That alternative would have eliminated the need for the business relocations, but I'm sure they feel there was a reason why it wasn't doable that way.

SSR_317

Does anyone here know the current subsection breakdowns for Section 6? I know they keep changing with each new step in the process (DEIS, FEIS, and now ROD/pre-contract letting). I've recently heard a media report mentioning that there now are 5, with the first (Martinsville) running from the Section 5 limit just south of Indian Creek to one mile north of the Reuben Dr/State Road 44 intersection. There are supposedly 3 between that point and the beginning of the fifth & final subsection (Indianapolis), but I didn't hear of where any of the other start/end points are. As usual, the INDOT website is of NO help whatsoever (they really need to step up their game, IMHO), so I'm hoping someone will be able to dig up this data to share here. If so, thanks in advance!

edwaleni

Quote from: SSR_317 on June 14, 2018, 12:59:17 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 11, 2018, 11:15:01 AM

I believe the "Refined Preferred Alternative" of the FEIS shifted the I-69/I-465 system interchange ramps away from that old quarry, eliminating the need to fill it in.
https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/I69S6FEIS_APX_II_RPA_PlanandProfile.pdf

But you are correct in that INDOT is leaving the most difficult & expensive portion until last. The Southport Road interchange will be particularly so, due to the multiple business relocations in the NW quadrant. I still don't see why they couldn't have built the grade separation very close to the existing intersection and used a loop ramp in the SW quadrant for the SB 69/37 to Southport movement, since there seems to be adequate room there NE of the retention pond. That alternative would have eliminated the need for the business relocations, but I'm sure they feel there was a reason why it wasn't doable that way.

Just the utility relocation work in and around Sunshine Gardens neighborhood will be significant.  There are at least 4 major fiber runs for carriers that will require remediation. Verizon, Sprint, ATT and L3 Communications.

ITB

Came across this photo a little while ago and would like to share with the forum.

Ten Years Ago – Martinsville, Indiana, and State Road 37.

Courtesy Monty Howell/The Herald-Times. Photo date: June 7, 2008.
Looking northwest toward a small section of Martinsville, Indiana, and State Road 37. Ten years ago in early June of 2008, flooding ravaged central Indiana and Martinsville in particular. The flooding pictured was not due to the White River which flows just to the west of Martinsville, but by the nearby waterways of Sartor Ditch and Indian Creek. Sartor Ditch, which runs roughly parallel to SR 37 in the vicinity of the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection in Martinsville, crosses under the highway via a culvert just north of the intersection, after which it continues on for a way, eventually joining Indian Creek. As I-69 Section 6 construction moves forward, an interchange will be built at Ohio Street (not pictured, but just to the left). It's a good bet the Sartor Ditch culvert will be replaced and enlarged, though that would not stop a flood of this scope. If you'd like to view the area on Google Maps, search "Sartor Ditch" and Martinsville. To get your bearings, the blue roofed building is South Elementary School.

Link to photo and article (but unfortunately behind a paywall):
https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/photos-remembering-the-flood/article_3beab645-6c03-5673-9c2c-1582b456b3a0.html

More Section 5 photos coming soon.

ITB

Quote from: SSR_317 on June 14, 2018, 01:08:38 PM
Does anyone here know the current subsection breakdowns for Section 6?

Per INDOT, the breakdown of the five segments of Section 6 are as follows:

- Martinsville – just south of Indian Creek to one mile north of SR 44

- Morgan County 1 – one mile north of SR 44 to one mile north of Henderson Ford Road

- Morgan County 2 – one mile north of Henderson Ford Road to one mile south of SR 144

- Johnson County – one mile south of SR 144 to one half mile north of Wicker Road

- Marion County – one half mile north of Wicker Road to I-465

ITB

Pictures. Here's a few from last week and yesterday. The first three were taken June 24, 2018; the others July 1, 2018. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Last Week

The eastern local access or frontage road about a 1/2 mile south of the Sample Road interchange in Monroe County, Indiana; looking south.

Another view of the eastern local access road south of the Sample Road interchange; looking south.

Closer look of the access road with State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in the background. With the paving equipment in place, construction of the concrete barrier wall was imminent.

One Week Later

The concrete barrier completed; looking north.

Another view of the local access road and barrier wall; looking north. The house-like structure is a water pump facility.

Closer look with the Mobil/Circle K mart at the Sample Road interchange in the background; looking north.

Long range view.

More to come.

Plutonic Panda

Would this project qualify as the longest stretch of interstate being built right now?

ITB

As of today, it's only 57 days until the substantial completion date of Section 5 of August 31, 2018. Here's a few pictures depicting the status of the project. I'll start with some that were taken July 1, 2018 and July 2nd, and finish up with a few that were taken yesterday, July 4th. The first group of six photos (below) were taken July 1.

Construction of Interstate 69 – north of Bloomington, Indiana

Looking south toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from about a mile south of the future Sample Road/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. In the foreground is the graded path of the new eastern local access road north of the State Road 37/E. Wylie Road access point. Discernible in the background are the overpasses that carry, respectfully, College Ave/Walnut Street (nearest) and Kinser Pike.  The early evening summer haze, common in Indiana, makes getting a crisp picture challenging.

The graded path of the new eastern local access, or frontage, road; looking north from near the old State Road/E. Wylie Road crossing, about a mile south of the Sample Road/I-69 interchange. The Wylie Road access point is open to in/out northbound SR 37 traffic, giving drivers access to the new frontage road south of this location. E. Wylie Road, itself, is closed just to east, out of view. The entire length of the eastern access road will be signed Wayport Road and, when complete, both north and south sections will link into the Sample Road interchange.

Paved not long ago, the new eastern local access road south of the State Road 37/E. Wylie Road access point; looking south.

Closer look at the new eastern local access road, running adjacent to State Road 37; looking south. The road ends near the far end of the concrete barrier wall.

Looking northwest toward SR 37 and the path of the eastern local access road. Between the two pieces of paving equipment is the Wylie Road access point for in/out northbound SR 37 traffic. Just up ahead, the lighter patch of earth denotes the location of Wylie Road; it is currently sealed off just to the right, out of view, but will be reconnected to the completed local access road. This photo is soft, slightly out of focus, but I'm posting it because it gives reference to the other photos in this group. I took some additional photos at this location on July 4th, and I'll post those in a forthcoming post.

The interchange at Sample Road, located roughly five miles north of city of Bloomington; looking north. The northbound SR 37 exit ramp to Sample Road is now open to traffic, while work continues on the northbound entrance ramp from Sample to SR 37. To reach the Mobil/Circle K Mart from Interstate 69, drivers will swing partially around two or three traffic roundabouts, depending on whether they are traveling north or southbound, then take the eastern frontage road south for about a quarter mile and make a right onto a service road (pictured) leading to the station and store. It seems complicated but its not.

ITB

Because I didn't get all the shots I wanted to on July 1st, I decided to head out the next evening if the weather was good. Generally, it was, but when I arrived on site, again at the Sample Road interchange, the western sky was becoming dusky with clouds. Surprisingly, however, I happened upon a paving crew that was in the process of wrapping up its days work. Here's a few pictures of the scene. Photos were taken July 2, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Sample Road work zone – Monroe County, Indiana, north of the City of Bloomington

Looking south toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from about a quarter mile south of the Sample Road interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. As the 9 pm hour approached, crew members operating road rollers were still at work, making their passes to properly compact the recently laid asphalt.

Calling it a day–a long day's work–near the Sample Road interchange (background); looking north.

The paving crew checks over its equipment near the Sample Road interchange before heading home; looking north.

The first photo above cropped, providing a slightly different perspective.

The future Sample Road/Interstate 69 interchange; looking north. Three of the four ramps are now open to traffic, with work continuing on the northbound entrance ramp.

After a long day of work, a paving crew member appears to walking back to where his car is parked; looking south from near the Sample Road interchange.

Nacho

Quote from: ITB on July 02, 2018, 01:23:32 PM
Came across this photo a little while ago and would like to share with the forum.

Ten Years Ago – Martinsville, Indiana, and State Road 37.

Courtesy Monty Howell/The Herald-Times. Photo date: June 7, 2008.
Looking northwest toward a small section of Martinsville, Indiana, and State Road 37. Ten years ago in early June of 2008, flooding ravaged central Indiana and Martinsville in particular. The flooding pictured was not due to the White River which flows just to the west of Martinsville, but by the nearby waterways of Sartor Ditch and Indian Creek. Sartor Ditch, which runs roughly parallel to SR 37 in the vicinity of the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection in Martinsville, crosses under the highway via a culvert just north of the intersection, after which it continues on for a way, eventually joining Indian Creek. As I-69 Section 6 construction moves forward, an interchange will be built at Ohio Street (not pictured, but just to the left). It's a good bet the Sartor Ditch culvert will be replaced and enlarged, though that would not stop a flood of this scope. If you'd like to view the area on Google Maps, search "Sartor Ditch" and Martinsville. To get your bearings, the blue roofed building is South Elementary School.

Link to photo and article (but unfortunately behind a paywall):
https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/photos-remembering-the-flood/article_3beab645-6c03-5673-9c2c-1582b456b3a0.html

More Section 5 photos coming soon.

I was visiting family in Bloomington when the flood happened. In fact my original plan had been to head back that day. At first it wasn't clear how bad it would be or how extensive the damage was, but 37 was open the next day with, as I recall, just a couple short sections where it was reduced to two lanes.

tdindy88

I worked at a summer camp in Bloomington that year and drove home literally the evening before it started to rain. Coming back to the camp on Sunday I had to drive SR 67 and SR 39 to get around Martinsville. I remember the water levels at Lake Monroe being high the rest of the summer just to get rid of the flood waters of that storm.

Speaking of the highway I traveled south this afternoon to check out the construction. I noticed the bridges at SR 48, SR 45 and Tapp all had Bloomington on their signs. I also noticed that the Fullerton Pike overpass had "Monroe County" on its bridge and thought it was a weird place. Personally I think the Chamber Pike overpass would be a good place for Monroe County to welcome motorists into the county. I remember some ten years ago when they had a nice big blue sign that welcomed people into Monroe County that went away for no reason. Other state highways had similar signs, they were connected to a wayfinding system that Bloomington used, and still does use in some capacity.

Back to the bridges, I also found it odd that the overpass for the southbound lanes of Walnut Street at Exit 123 had "Indiana University" on the bridge. While I guess the road does serve as an entry way to the IU campus it still is several miles away from IU. Speaking of that interchange, heading north on Walnut Street onto SR 37 I saw a new sign posted just past the bridge over the road that said "Freeway Entrance" along with the SR 37 shield and presumably an I-69 shield in the future. To my knowledge this is the first time I've ever seen a Freeway Entrance sign in Indiana but I think it's unique due to the interchange's design.

Finally, I saw the control city signs at the SR 48 interchange were changed, the old signs had state highway shields with rounded corners. The new signs have I-69, SR 37 and SR 45 and indeed has Evansville for southbound and Indianapolis for northbound. To my knowledge this may be the first sign for northbound I-69 with Indy on it.

ITB

During the afternoon on Friday, July 6th, I was in the vicinity of the Fullerton Pike interchange. And, of course, I had the camera. However, I didn't like the results due to the heat shimmer and high afternoon sun. So I went back in the early evening when the sun was low in the western sky. Here's what I got. Photos were taken July 6, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Views from the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 interchange

The view looking north from the Fullerton Pike overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. The bridges pictured carry, respectfully, from front to back, Tapp Road (nearest); State Road 45/Bloomfield Road; the Indiana Rail Road line (blue); and State Road 48/Third Street. The distance between the Fullerton Pike overpass and the Third Street bridge is almost exactly three miles.

Another perspective looking north from the Fullerton Pike overpass, with the Tapp Road interchange in the mid-background.

Closer look at State Road 37 and bridges spanning the highway within the city limits of Bloomington; looking north.

The view looking south from the Fullerton Pike overpass. In the mid-background is the Rockport Road overpass, while the signage in the deep background is for the I-69/SR 37 interchange.

Closer look at the I-69/SR 37 interchange signage; looking south.

Long range perspective looking south from the Fullerton Pike overpass.

Another look north toward State Road 37 (soon to be Interstate 69) from the Fullerton Pike overpass. With the telephoto lens, distance sometimes has the appearance of being compressed. It's three miles to the farthest bridge pictured–SR 48/Third Street.

The same view as above, but about six hours earlier. It was all but impossible to get a crisp picture due to the heat shimmer.

Edit: Grammar

Life in Paradise

ITB, thanks for the photo update.  It is looking more and more like the Bloomington section is changing into the I-69 that we are expecting to see.  With all of this work, the finish line appears to be just around the bend, and it has taken long enough.

ITB

More photos. I thought I had posted these earlier, then realized I had not. The pictures were taken Wednesday, July 4, 2018, unless otherwise noted.

Looking south toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from about a mile south of the Sample Road/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana. Pictured is the overpass that carries College Ave./N. Walnut Street and the southbound exit ramp leading to that road. Further back is the Kinser Pike overpass. College Ave/Walnut Street is one of the principal routes to Indiana University in Bloomington.

Looking north toward State Road 37 from the new western local access, or frontage, road (left), about 1 1/4 mile south of the Sample Road interchange in Monroe County, Indiana.

The view of SR 37 from about a mile north of the Sample Road interchange; looking slightly northwest. At this location, work continues on a sewer installation.

The sewer installation, mentioned above, adjacent to the northbound mainline; looking west.

Looking north toward State Road 37 from near the intersection of Fox Hollow Road and Wayport Road. On the right is the new eastern local access road–signed Wayport Road in its entirety–that links into the Sample Road interchange about a mile to the south. The access road also will connect to Chambers Pike just around the bend in the background.

Closer look at soon-to-be Interstate 69 and the concrete barrier walls that separate the mainline from the frontage roads; about 1 1/2 mile north of the Sample Road interchange.

Edit: To correct minor mistake

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken Wednesday, July 4, 2018.

Sample Road interchange and vicinity

Looking north toward the new eastern local access, or frontage, road from near the State Road 37/E. Wylie Road temporary access point, about a mile south of the Sample Road interchange. When the frontage road completes, this access point will be sealed off. From then on drivers who wish to access Interstate 69 from this vicinity will need to utilize the Sample Road interchange.

Long range view looking south toward State Road 37 and the new eastern local access road. In the background is the overpass and exit ramp for College Avenue/N. Walnut Street, which leads into Indiana University and the northern sections of the city of Bloomington. The Kinser Pike overpass is in the deep background.

The ramp to future northbound Interstate 69 at the Sample Road interchange; looking north. The interchange's other three ramps already have been completed and are open to traffic. In the background, a sliver of the old northbound lanes of SR 37 is visible. That pavement will be removed, as it will not be used for the local access road.

Slightly closer perspective of the northbound ramp at the Sample Road interchange.

Another look at the work underway on the eastern local access road south of the Sample Road interchange; looking north.

And one more look south toward the College Ave/Walnut Street overpass and partial interchange.

That's it for now. Later this month or in early August I plan to head up once again to the northern parts of Section 5 in Morgan County.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on July 02, 2018, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on June 14, 2018, 01:08:38 PM
Does anyone here know the current subsection breakdowns for Section 6?

Per INDOT, the breakdown of the five segments of Section 6 are as follows:

- Martinsville – just south of Indian Creek to one mile north of SR 44

- Morgan County 1 – one mile north of SR 44 to one mile north of Henderson Ford Road

- Morgan County 2 – one mile north of Henderson Ford Road to one mile south of SR 144

- Johnson County – one mile south of SR 144 to one half mile north of Wicker Road

- Marion County – one half mile north of Wicker Road to I-465
Thank you so much!

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on July 08, 2018, 11:05:52 PM
Views from the Fullerton Pike/SR 37 interchange

The contractor who installed that non-compliant, full-width exit tab panel on the Tapp Rd exit should be forced to replace it with a proper one. This isn't California!  :D

On another note, the BGS for the partial interchange at the north end of Bloomington should also be replaced to remove the College Avenue designation, as the route that exits is (and has always been) Walnut Street. Southbound College doesn't begin until several miles later, when the one-way split begins near the SR 45/46 bypass. At the very least, it should read "Walnut St" on the top line and "TO College Ave" on the bottom.

Looking south toward State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) from about a mile south of the Sample Road/I-69 interchange in Monroe County, Indiana.

hoosierguy

The Sample Road interchange is fully open now. I notified Google Maps of this. Maybe if others did as well it will be updated sooner.

thefro

I went ahead and added Section 6 to Wikipedia's exit list as unbuilt exits (sans the SR 39 interchange), since Martinsville construction is going to start in 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Indiana#Exit_list

SSR_317

I just updated Open Street Map to reflect the completion of the Sample Rd traffic interchange.

hoosierguy

Google Maps has been updated to reflect the Sample Road interchange completion.

tdindy88

I was just taking a glance that the Circle K gas station at Sample Road and SR 37 is now closed. The hell? I thought it was in a good location at the access, maybe not directly connected to the highway but with interchange access getting to it would not be too different, and probably better than accessing gas stations off the busy 3rd Street exit. And this is not forgetting that there are no rest areas along the entire highway and one gas station directly off the interstate between Bloomington and Evansville (at US 231.)

And when the hell is Washington going to start building stuff off this highway for motorists. I thought they wanted this?

hoosierguy

Perhaps in the long-term this interstate will be worth it but the economic disruption its construction has caused is significant, not to mention the tragic loss of life.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.