News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP P.J. O'Rourke

Started by oscar, February 16, 2022, 06:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Humorist P.J. O'Rourke died yesterday, at age 74.

He was best known for political commentary, such as his 1991 book "Parliament of Whores" making fun of the U.S. political system. But his earlier work covered cars and driving, including the (in)famous 1979 ode to reckless driving for the National Lampoon, "How to Drive Fast on Drugs, while Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed, and Not Spill Your Drink". That article is available on the Wayback Machine (mildly NSFW graphics).

I bought a few of his books, which I'll need to re-read when I get back home from the road.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

abefroman329

I've read a number of his books.  I didn't agree with many of his political stances, but he did call out extremists and ridiculous notions across the entire political spectrum, and his writing about his younger years has a vulnerability to it that you don't see with many members of his generation.  I also read a book about the history of the National Lampoon where the author noted that O'Rourke devoted quite a bit of time to his interviews, which is admirable.

formulanone

His automotive reviews took some getting used to (i.e. it won't make much sense when you're 12), but they eventually aged well (read: I'm smarter-er or more seasoned now!). I didn't realize he'd devoted so much writing to so many other things until later on.

I feel I should drive an ass-engined Nazi slot car in his honor today, but a much tamer Mazda CX-5 will have to do.

kevinb1994

I saw his obituary earlier and was like "aw man, not another one" . RIP. Was wondering how I was familiar with his name, and then saw his association with National Lampoon and the like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.