News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why don’t AC Repair Shops repair window units?

Started by roadman65, June 25, 2023, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

My window unit got damaged from Hurricane Ian last Fall. I have to replace the four year old unit because AC and Heating repair companies won't touch window units.

Why is that so? I took HVAC in school and learned that those are much easier to repair as they're inside one unit as supposed to Central Air that is spread out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JREwing78

Apparently I'm a dumbass northerner, but I would assume hurricane prep would include removing the window A/C unit. Apparently your mounting solution is a hell of a lot better than what folks up here get away with.

I'm going to imagine that parts availability is one factor. Cost to repair v.s. replace would be another.

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on June 25, 2023, 11:20:38 PM
My window unit got damaged from Hurricane Ian last Fall. I have to replace the four year old unit because AC and Heating repair companies won't touch window units.

Why is that so? I took HVAC in school and learned that those are much easier to repair as they're inside one unit as supposed to Central Air that is spread out.
It might be that they don't touch them because it's not economically viable.  Granted, I've never shopped for anything larger than a 5000 BTU unit, but those are selling new for about $125, which could be the price of a service call alone.

Rothman

Yep, replacement cost is too close to repair cost.

(In a similar vein, I wonder how shoe repair shops stay open)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on June 26, 2023, 08:47:56 AM(In a similar vein, I wonder how shoe repair shops stay open)
Because there are still lots of shoes out there whose repair cost is much less than their replacement cost.

Dirt Roads

I completely understand why the mobile HVAC repair industry doesn't work on portable units.  In fact, almost all of them wont work on "hotel units", known in the industry as PTAC units (packaged terminal air conditioner).  Most of those folks get bound up (and certified) with only one or two specific suppliers.  It makes the supply chain easier, and it is less costly to train and employ certified HVAC technicians.

But I don't understand why the old-fashioned in-store appliance repair industry has almost totally disappeared.  Only a few of those shops actually worked on window air conditioner units (when I grew up in West Virginia, hardly anybody owned window air conditioners and only the wealthy folks had central air conditioning).  But I have fixed a few in my day, and if I can do it...  (self-debasing snarky comment removed for my own mental health).  Some obvious issues:  (A) ease of disposal for broken equipment; (B) unwillingness of many folks to take a window air conditioner to the shop and live without it for a month while it gets repaired; (C) difficulty finding parts mainly because of Item A and Item B; and (D) the cyclical nature of local appliance repair shops.  It is already hard enough to find do-it-all technicians in industries that require them (hotel chains, commercial property managers, etc.).  But on the other hand, there are still many small lawn and garden sales centers that have small engine shops behind them.  This same type of shop was once considered a necessity for local appliance dealers.

kalvado

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 26, 2023, 08:57:06 AM

I completely understand why the mobile HVAC repair industry doesn't work on portable units.  In fact, almost all of them wont work on "hotel units", known in the industry as PTAC units (packaged terminal air conditioner).  Most of those folks get bound up (and certified) with only one or two specific suppliers.  It makes the supply chain easier, and it is less costly to train and employ certified HVAC technicians.

But I don't understand why the old-fashioned in-store appliance repair industry has almost totally disappeared.  Only a few of those shops actually worked on window air conditioner units (when I grew up in West Virginia, hardly anybody owned window air conditioners and only the wealthy folks had central air conditioning).  But I have fixed a few in my day, and if I can do it...  (self-debasing snarky comment removed for my own mental health).  Some obvious issues:  (A) ease of disposal for broken equipment; (B) unwillingness of many folks to take a window air conditioner to the shop and live without it for a month while it gets repaired; (C) difficulty finding parts mainly because of Item A and Item B; and (D) the cyclical nature of local appliance repair shops.  It is already hard enough to find do-it-all technicians in industries that require them (hotel chains, commercial property managers, etc.).  But on the other hand, there are still many small lawn and garden sales centers that have small engine shops behind them.  This same type of shop was once considered a necessity for local appliance dealers.
Cost of a qualified technician is in the range of $100 per hour, once you consider benefits, insurance, tools etc.
So any repairs beyond simple plug and cord replacement quickly become too expensive.
American labor is so expensive right now that nobody can actually afford it any more

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.