News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Happy Public Domain Day!

Started by LilianaUwU, December 31, 2023, 10:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2023, 10:10:39 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on December 31, 2023, 10:01:25 PM
Happy Steamboat Willie Day!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steamboat_Willie_(1928)_by_Walt_Disney.webm

Haha, holy shit, Disney finally stopped writing checks to get the US copyright term extended?

Congress showed no interest in any farther extensions.  I likely wont live to see it, But I do believe that it is past time for a deep rethink of the entire concept of 'copyright' and the length of protection terms.  There has to be a restoration of a healthy 'public domain' (where would the Disney Company be if their most beloved works were not already in the public domain when Disney made their versions of them?).  Also, nothing should be under copyright if nobody who is currently alive is reasonably expected to have any memory of it in its 'first' release.

That said, a list of many of the other works that had their copyrights expire and lapse into public domain at 0001 eastern time today should be very interesting (ie, the Grapes of Wrath).

Mike

Molandfreak

Now you can include Mickey Mouse in any work you please!
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Rothman

No, you can't.  Disney still owns the trademark and will come after you if there is a reasonable assertion that you're portraying your use as theirs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

I think you can only specifically use the Steamboat Willie characterization. It's the same deal when Pooh went into the PD last year. You can use the A.A. Milne novels' interpretation and characterization, but if your Pooh has a red shirt expect the Mouse tro send lawyers after you.

I'd be careful in the early going since I'm sure Disney is eager to make examples out of people.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Molandfreak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 01, 2024, 07:36:19 PM
I think you can only specifically use the Steamboat Willie characterization. It's the same deal when Pooh went into the PD last year. You can use the A.A. Milne novels' interpretation and characterization, but if your Pooh has a red shirt expect the Mouse tro send lawyers after you.

I'd be careful in the early going since I'm sure Disney is eager to make examples out of people.
Yeah, only the versions that appear in Steamboat Willie and the other shorts that were released in 1928. Anyone wanting to try should probably just rename the character to Steamboat Willie to give an extra level of protection.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Max Rockatansky

I wasn't disappointed by Blood and Honey.  It certainly delivered on the B-level murderous Pooh bear that was promised.  I don't know how "Steamboat Willy" can be made over the top silly but I'm sure someone will find a way.

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on January 01, 2024, 03:40:08 PM

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Steamboat_Willie_(1928)_by_Walt_Disney.webm

Haha, holy shit, Disney finally stopped writing checks to get the US copyright term extended?

Congress showed no interest in any farther extensions.  I likely wont live to see it, But I do believe that it is past time for a deep rethink of the entire concept of 'copyright' and the length of protection terms.  There has to be a restoration of a healthy 'public domain' (where would the Disney Company be if their most beloved works were not already in the public domain when Disney made their versions of them?).  Also, nothing should be under copyright if nobody who is currently alive is reasonably expected to have any memory of it in its 'first' release.

Hear, hear. My personal preference would be a copyright term of about 25 years, since I feel like nobody should still be coasting off of anything they did in 1999 at this point, but I acknowledge I'm a bit of a radical when it comes to that.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2024, 02:54:20 AM

Hear, hear. My personal preference would be a copyright term of about 25 years, since I feel like nobody should still be coasting off of anything they did in 1999 at this point, but I acknowledge I'm a bit of a radical when it comes to that.
So, we're talking about the public just saying, "Wow, nice thing you invented, there.  Yeah, you don't own that anymore.  It's ours now.  Yoink!"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 06:49:17 AM

So, we're talking about the public just saying, "Wow, nice thing you invented, there.  Yeah, you don't own that anymore.  It's ours now.  Yoink!"

Yeah?

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2024, 07:51:49 AM

Yeah?
Yep, putting a time limit on private ownership in a capitalist society would be controversial. :D

1995hoo

Isn't that more or less what the patent system does?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 08:58:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2024, 07:51:49 AM

Yeah?
Yep, putting a time limit on private ownership in a capitalist society would be controversial. :D

And?

vdeane

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2024, 10:41:19 PM
I wasn't disappointed by Blood and Honey.  It certainly delivered on the B-level murderous Pooh bear that was promised.  I don't know how "Steamboat Willy" can be made over the top silly but I'm sure someone will find a way.
John Oliver created a character on Last Week Tonight based off him in preparation for this.  It will be interesting to see where that goes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mgk920

IIRC, in the earliest days of the USA under its current Constitution, patents and copyrights were limited to 13 years.

Mike

1995hoo

If I recall correctly from my law school patent law class (recognizing that was 26 years ago), the patent term was 17 years for a good while but was changed to 20 years to comply with a multilateral treaty to which the US was a party. Joining the treaty was perceived as beneficial because it meant other member countries afforded more protection to US intellectual property rights (with some notable exceptions, of course!).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2024, 02:20:19 PM
IIRC, in the earliest days of the USA under its current Constitution, patents and copyrights were limited to 13 years.

Mike
Also life expectancy back then.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2024, 06:37:09 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 02, 2024, 02:20:19 PM

Mike
Also life expectancy back then.
Doubt that was much of a factor. Selections of print media in the 18th and early 19th centuries were more scarce; most of the "classic" novels weren't written until the 1830s and 40s, so that leaves the bible, newspapers, plays, and epic poems that probably weren't widely available in English. There just weren't very many intellectual properties that were worth protecting for more than a couple decades.

kkt

I liked the terms of the 1710 copyright law, passed by the British parliament and binding on the American colonies:  14 years at first filing, renewable for another 14 years if the author is alive and files for it.

One of the worst things about current copyright law is that it doesn't require re-filing.  Most works do NOT become famous like Steamboat Willie or the Grapes of Wrath.  Most books have their one printing and are never reprinted and the authors vanish into obscurity.  But then their works enter a limbo status:  the copyright might or might not be in effect depending on how long the author lived, and it's not easy to discover that if the author never became prominent.  A publisher wanting to reprint it or an author wanted to write a derivitive work would have a great deal of trouble even locating who owns the rights, with nothing but a name and address 100 years old.  Sure, they could wait for the copyright to be certainly expired, but typical paper for inexpensive books is physically falling apart into dust within 75 years or so.  By the time the right to reprint it is secure, there may be no surviving copies left to work from.

Henry

TIL that Pete is a cat. Which makes sense, given that mice are the main prey of domestic felines (see Tom and Jerry as the primary example). I've read that in the many battles with Mickey, Pete has a very short fuse, which makes him much like Yosemite Sam when he squares off against Bugs Bunny.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Henry on January 02, 2024, 10:18:32 PM
TIL that Pete is a cat. Which makes sense, given that mice are the main prey of domestic felines (see Tom and Jerry as the primary example). I've read that in the many battles with Mickey, Pete has a very short fuse, which makes him much like Yosemite Sam when he squares off against Bugs Bunny.

From being a millennial I associate Pete more as an enemy/frenemy of Goofy than of Mickey.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 02, 2024, 11:52:11 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 02, 2024, 10:18:32 PM

From being a millennial I associate Pete more as an enemy/frenemy of Goofy than of Mickey.

Disney hardly has done much with Mickey in recent decades but has given a ton of secondary characters stuff like memorable TV shows and/or movies.  About the biggest thing Mickey was featured during my lifetime was video games.

Scott5114

That's the problem with making one of your characters your company mascot—they're not allowed to have any opinions or do anything interesting because then it might be taken as the company endorsing that.

Max Rockatansky

Hence wife my and I have much of an affinity for characters like Scrooge McDuck, Chip, Dale and Goofy.  They all were memorable in lifetime because they were allowed to develop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.