News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Have you been to every county in your state (or any other state)?

Started by golden eagle, March 04, 2011, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 11, 2013, 07:52:35 PM
The highest percentage I have of any state is Maine, where I have 15/16; the county I don't have is Franklin County.

I've lived in Maine twice, yet I'm not even close to clinching all 16 there! The ones I know of for sure:

York (lived in Wells and Old Orchard Beach)
Cumberland (Portland, of course!)
Sagadahoc (via I-295)
Androscoggin (Maine Turnpike through Auburn and Lewiston)
Kennebec (visited the grounds of the state house in 2011)
Somerset (clipped the edge via I-95)
Penobscot (Bangor in 1996)

My Maine county count may include Knox. I remember going to some Nazarene camp with my older brother in 1976. I'm almost positive that it was in Washington, ME.

cpzilliacus

Maryland - yes.  All 23 counties and 1 independent city.

Delaware - yes.  All 3 counties.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

deathtopumpkins

Only states I've clinched are Delaware, Connecticut, and New Hampshire, though I'm only 2 away from both Massachusetts (Dukes, Nantucket) and Rhode Island (Bristol, Newport), and also fairly close on Maryland (missing 10), New Jersey (missing 7), and Maine (missing 5).

[Map]
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Duke87

I have been to every county in DC (1990?), Delaware (April 2005), Connecticut (February 2010), Rhode Island (August 2010), Vermont (September 2011), New Jersey (December 2011), and New York (November 2012).

If I add another state to that list this year it will probably be New Hampshire.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dougtone

Best way to see my county collecting progress is to check out my mob-rule page at http://www.mob-rule.com/cgi-bin/makeuser.cgi?user=dougtone.  I don't always make county collecting a hallmark of my trips, but sometimes it happens.

In summary, I've clinched District of Columbia (1988), New York and Connecticut (2001), Rhode Island (2002), New Hampshire, Vermont, New Jersey and Delaware (2003), Pennsylvania (2004), Maine and Maryland (2005), Ohio (2009), Massachusetts, West Virginia and Virginia (2012).  If you want to include Canada, I've clinched all the counties of Prince Edward Island in 2012.

I'm fairly close to clinching North Carolina's counties (I just need to get into the western part of the state) as well as Nova Scotia's counties (I just need two more counties there).  Other states I could probably wrap up fairly easily with some time energy and possibly a plane ticket would be Oregon, South Carolina and Utah.

DandyDan

I have lived in Minnesota, Illinois, and Nebraska, but am not close to getting all the counties in any of those states.  Naturally enough, the one I am closest on is Iowa (89/99).  The only place I clinched is DC, which almost shouldn't count.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Sykotyk

I lived in Ohio and Pennsylvania and have since clinched both of them.

In total I have 21 states completed (in order)
01 Delaware
02 Connecticut
03 Vermont
04 Kansas
05 California
06 Oklahoma
07 Nevada
08 Wyoming
09 New Mexico
10 Colorado
11 Ohio
12 Louisiana
13 Texas
14 Mississippi
15 Idaho
16 Washington
17 Oregon
18 Florida
19 Pennsylvania
20 Arkansas
21 Kentucky

I have 505 left by my count (may be off on some of the Virginia cities). I'll deal with VA someday when I plan a trip just to clinch everything I haven't yet.

I have two stragglers out west that are going to bug me. One is near Nogales, AZ and the other is a little completely rural county of Utah. Both of those were missed back in the time before I started to clinch every county.

Southern New Jersey and Bristol, Rhode Island are also a nuisance. I just clinched Arkansas and Kentucky on a trip to Texas last month. I got the rest of Tennessee save for two in the eastern part of the state.

{edit}

Amazing how coincidences work. I wound up in Arizona and went out of my way to hit Santa Cruz County and finally mark the Grand Canyon State complete on my map. That happened the day after I posted this. I wasn't going to let that opportunity pass me by again.

mgk920

I have not been in all of the counties of any state, but to the best of my knowledge, the closest is my home state of Wisconsin - 71:72 (missing: Burnette).

Mike

catch22

I have Michigan.  I have almost all of the Ohio counties northwest of the Cleveland - Columbus - Cincinnati line, and the northern 1/3 of Indiana.   Not even close anywhere else.

golden eagle

Bringing this one from the dead...since this post, I added one more county for MS when I passed through Alcorn County (bringing state total to 72) and added one for Alabama when I drove through Madison County (Huntsville) last year.

Within the next month, I may be adding some Louisiana parishes. I have a step uncle who has been given a month and will most likely be buried in his native south-central Louisiana. I'll definitely add to it if I go through central LA since I've never been there.

I'm also planning a late summer/early fall trip to Sacramento. I'm sure I'll add Bay Area counties to CA and also parts of the Central Valley if I decide to visit a relative in Merced.

hbelkins

I just finished off Illinois on my recent trip to the Dubuque meet.

Next in my sights is New Hampshire, which I plan to clinch when I go to the Portsmouth meet. After that, New York, if I go to the Brick/Wall meet and manage to get out to Long Island to visit Suffolk and Nassau counties while I'm in the area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Completed all of Maine's counties as of late-March. Visited one in '91, picked up the other 15 on two visits earlier this year. I guess DC counts (though not a state).

empirestate

Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2013, 10:16:01 AM
After that, New York, if I go to the Brick/Wall meet and manage to get out to Long Island to visit Suffolk and Nassau counties while I'm in the area.

Best way to clinch Nassau and Suffolk, in my opinion, is if you are on your way to New England and are interested in ferries. I'm not positive, but I think my first visit to both counties was on a trip to Boston from somewhere southwest of NYC, in which I used the Orient-New London ferry. Great way to relax after a harrowing day on the LIE.

It's surprising, or perhaps not, that as a near-lifelong New Yorker, it took me so long to get to Long Island. But of course, I'm from upstate, and my last county visited in NYS was Richmond (and the last city was Glen Cove, Nassau County).

M3019C LPS20

Well, let's see. With regards to counties, I have lived here in New Jersey for almost four years, and I haven't visited every county. Only a handful.

As far as states are concerned, I have visited the entire east coast. Maine down to Florida.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 14, 2013, 12:19:38 PM
As far as states are concerned, I have visited the entire east coast. Maine down to Florida.

I have been to every state through which I-95 runs, except Rhode Island.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

A.J. Bertin

For me, the only state I have completely clinched is Michigan (83 out of 83 counties). I also have DC, which really doesn't count.

Here's a link to my Mob-Rule page: http://www.mob-rule.com/cgi-bin/makeuser.cgi?user=new_friends_gr

I have 21.77% of all U.S. counties clinched. It's certainly a gradual process. I've done quite a bit so far, but I have a LONG way to go still. I enjoy clinching counties, but my main priority for now is clinching highways.
-A.J. from Michigan

CNGL-Leudimin

Since I don't live in the States (And I've never been to), there is no county count for me :biggrin: :)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

oscar

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 21, 2013, 05:40:55 PM
Since I don't live in the States (And I've never been to), there is no county count for me :biggrin: :)

If you live in or have visited Canada, you can track its counties/equivalents on the mob-rule.com site oft mentioned here.

BTW, the Extra Miler Club has a member from Australia, who has nevertheless racked up over 900 U.S. counties.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I've never crossed the pond. Anyway, I'll do with Spanish provinces. I have been to 36 out of 50 provinces Spain has. I don't think i'd complete it soon, especially with Las Palmas province out in the Canary islands. OTOH, I've been to Santa Cruz province also in the Canaries, but I was five years old when I went there.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

formulanone

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 22, 2013, 09:25:43 AM
Well, I've never crossed the pond. Anyway, I'll do with Spanish provinces. I have been to 36 out of 50 provinces Spain has. I don't think i'd complete it soon, especially with Las Palmas province out in the Canary islands. OTOH, I've been to Santa Cruz province also in the Canaries, but I was five years old when I went there.

I've clinched 3-4 of those...(Barcelona, Girona, Taragona, Madrid via an airport), but it seems Spain has a smaller division of the provinces, if I'm not mistaken?

Our rental car had Madrid plates, which meant we were honked at a lot by the Barca fans...

texaskdog

Brandon

I've gotten a decent percentage of Illinois, Michigan, Utah, Wyoming, and Hawai'i (all but one there, guess which one).  I do, however, have every county in the great State of Superior.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

D-Dey65

Only Delaware, and if you count DC as Doug did, then you could say I've clinched that too.

But in every other state I've been in, the answer is a resounding no, and that includes my home state of New York and my reluctantly adopted state of Florida.

codyg1985

I have yet to do so, but I am reasonably close with Alabama, Tennessee, and maybe Mississippi.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.