News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

is anyone else having trouble with google maps?

Started by agentsteel53, April 21, 2011, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

it does strange things like, when I attempt to zoom, it will zoom back out to the default view of the United States, even as the zoom scroll seems to indicate that I am correctly zoomed in to my intended target.  in fact, waypoints like "A", "B", etc display and scroll correctly - I can drag them around, but behind them the entire-US map is dragged along, and in fact when I drag far enough away, the default-US is bordered by gray.

also, it seems to cycle endlessly between the servers khm.google.com and mt*.google.com, where * is a number between 0 and 3.  it does a lot of "waiting for..." and "transferring data from..." but nothing actually gets accomplished.

I'm running ffox 3.1.16 on win7.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Yes I am running on win 7 IE On the traffic the speed bar is stick over the zoom.
On another win 7 IE a the University it isnt

The street veiw man often wont stick either

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

rickmastfan67

Quote from: The Premier on April 21, 2011, 09:55:16 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 21, 2011, 09:16:45 PM

You should consider upgrading to Firefox 4.0. :nod:

No, I would only recommend upgrading to 3.6.16 at this time.  There are some massive memory leaks still in FF4 (this comes from one who's experienced them, and it effects tile based websites like Google Maps).

agentsteel53

I'd like to upgrade to the functional version of google maps.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

The google maps seem like they've generally gone to hell in terms of their performance the last couple years. It seems like they're a lot slower and less reliable. Unfortunately, they're still the best on the internet.

J N Winkler

I have to be very careful when I click on Google Maps links in here because I often find myself sitting staring at "loading from . . ." messages while my CPU swings for the fences.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

stormwatch7721

Google Maps is going slow for me. I'm using IE 9 and on windows 7.

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 21, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

No, I would only recommend upgrading to 3.6.16 at this time.  There are some massive memory leaks still in FF4 (this comes from one who's experienced them, and it effects tile based websites like Google Maps).
There are massive memory leaks throughout Firefox history regardless of version. i wouldn't view that as a deterrent from upgrading.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AlpsROADS on April 22, 2011, 08:03:42 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 21, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

There are massive memory leaks throughout Firefox history regardless of version. i wouldn't view that as a deterrent from upgrading.

However, this memory leak combined with NoScript can lead to a leak of over 2GB in memory if you play around with it long enough.

stormwatch7721

I'm still having problems with google maps. :rolleyes:

DAL764

Makes no difference, Google Maps is pretty much slow as hell regardless of browser, operating system or internet speed. Be it any combination of Firefox 4, Opera 10, Safari, 2 mbit DSL, 6 mbit DSL, XP, Vista or 7, it is just slow.

That said, as long as Google Earth is still running smoothly, Google Maps being slow isn't that much of a factor.

stormwatch7721

It appears google maps has zooming issues.

NE2

I find it works significantly better on FF (3.6.16) than IE or K-Meleon. The latter two have no problems with a simple map, but switch to aerials and they slow considerably. FF has the occasional problem when I try to do one action before he previous one is done loading, but a refresh will fix it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Quote from: NE2 on April 24, 2011, 07:58:35 PM
I find it works significantly better on FF (3.6.16) than IE or K-Meleon. The latter two have no problems with a simple map, but switch to aerials and they slow considerably. FF has the occasional problem when I try to do one action before he previous one is done loading, but a refresh will fix it.

FYI, in my personal opinion, Google Maps runs better in IE9 than FF4 (no joke) or IE8 (before I upgrade to IE9).

vdeane

It's probably IE9's new JavaScript engine.  Before I switched to Chrome, whenever I'd be on google maps for a long period it would get slower and slower until IE8 would ask to kill a script.  Click yes, and it became lightning fast (btw, that script was streetview).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

I thought Streetview was pure Flash and it was the actual map interface that was Ajax

jake@aaroads.com

stormwatch7721

Quote from: deanej on April 25, 2011, 10:38:00 AM
It's probably IE9's new JavaScript engine.  Before I switched to Chrome, whenever I'd be on google maps for a long period it would get slower and slower until IE8 would ask to kill a script.  Click yes, and it became lightning fast (btw, that script was streetview).

Google maps works okay at first on IE9, but when I zoom in to try to use street view, it slows down on me.

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 25, 2011, 10:51:14 AM
I thought Streetview was pure Flash and it was the actual map interface that was Ajax
I believe that's what's giving the trouble.  You don't have to invoke streetview for it to cause slow-downs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

stormwatch7721

Looks like I can't play with streetview no more since that IE9 script slows google maps down. :-(

cu2010

Am I the only person having zero problems with Google Maps whatsoever?
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

vdeane

rickmastfan67

The Firefox crew seems to have fixed some of the problems in 4.0.1 that was just released today.

stormwatch7721

Google maps seems to be doing okay, but still going slow. :-/

stormwatch7721

Google Maps is working again on IE9 now. Was probably some google glitch and not the Javascript.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.