News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why is I-190 in SD an interstate?

Started by bugo, December 13, 2013, 12:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

It's basically a long ramp.  It has one onramp and one offramp.  It should just be a part of US 16.

roadman65

Better question, why is I-180 in WY an interstate?  Its not even freeway grade plus it is concurrent the entire length with BR I-25, US 85, and US 87.  At least this one is freeway grade.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

M86

SD Mapman

Quote from: bugo on December 13, 2013, 12:30:36 AM
It should just be a part of US 16.
Well, it IS. It's also the fastest way to get to downtown Rapid.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

roadman65

I was in Rapid City back in 01, I remember where it started and ended.  It is part of US 16 since it was truncated years back.  There was an erroneous sign where it used to turn right onto present day Business I-90 when I visited there (hopefully removed since then) that was once US 14 where it and US 14 both began to head east of there.

I-90 caused US 16 that once went to Detroit to end at Rapid City and the logical place is at that interchange with I-190 and its parent.   It was realigned along the new spur interstate from that place it once went east with US 14, that is now on I-90.  The main point is that interstate is the connection to Downtown as the interstate is a mile or so away.  So it is warranted!

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

It also has an intermediate interchange between I-90 and its south end.  BTW, when it was first built, the I-90/190 interchange was a three-level directional 'Y'.

I agree, it is a worthy part of the I-system.

Mike

corco

That designation probably helps to feed tourists heading to the Black Hills and Rushmore into downtown Rapid instead of using the faster 16 Truck. Its not the sexiest interstate in the system, but i thought part of the point of odd 3dis was to connect downtowns to the interstate, which this does.

roadman65

Not to mention that it does connect I-90 to the Black Hills.

Sheryl Crowe

SD Mapman

Quote from: corco on December 13, 2013, 11:38:01 AM
That designation probably helps to feed tourists heading to the Black Hills and Rushmore into downtown Rapid instead of using the faster 16 Truck. Its not the sexiest interstate in the system, but i thought part of the point of odd 3dis was to connect downtowns to the interstate, which this does.
Yeah, Rapid would hate it if anyone tried to remove the designation, as they are REALLY trying to boost the downtown.

And besides, does anyone really want to get rid of I-90's only 3di west of the Mississippi River?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Henry

Quote from: SD Mapman on December 13, 2013, 11:40:52 AM
Quote from: corco on December 13, 2013, 11:38:01 AM
Yeah, Rapid would hate it if anyone tried to remove the designation, as they are REALLY trying to boost the downtown.

And besides, does anyone really want to get rid of I-90's only 3di west of the Mississippi River?
I agree, it works pretty well for this part of SD.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman65

I liked Rapid City when I visited there and I think many people who visit Rushmore and the region also like it.  It is the largest city in Western SD, and it should be promoted.  It is one of the largest settlements in the region and most of all along I-90 west of the Miss and east of Spokane! 

Sheryl Crowe

corco

Well, besides Billings and Missoula anyway

roadman65

Quote from: corco on December 13, 2013, 11:48:15 AM
That is why I said "one of the largest" in my post. 

Also it hundreds of miles away in each direction along I-90 to the others like you just pointed out.  It is a good meal and lodging stop along the way!

Sheryl Crowe

corco

For sure, and it is growing at a healthy rate- a lot of the white collar Bakken related jobs are ending up there (and in the Biz and in Billings) - its certainly emerging as the banking/healthcare hub of that region moreso than the other communities.

roadman65

The weather is ideal as I heard the Black Hills is cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter than a few miles east on the Prairie.  That, I am sure, plays a great fact in its being ideal too!

Sheryl Crowe

Urban Prairie Schooner

It's an interstate grade freeway which provides a connection from a primary Interstate route to the downtown of the state's second largest city. Seems viable enough as an Interstate to me.

SD Mapman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 13, 2013, 12:02:23 PM
The weather is ideal as I heard the Black Hills is cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter than a few miles east on the Prairie.  That, I am sure, plays a great fact in its being ideal too!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Don't believe everything you hear about our weather. We have no definition of climate.

DandyDan

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 13, 2013, 02:06:28 PM
It's an interstate grade freeway which provides a connection from a primary Interstate route to the downtown of the state's second largest city. Seems viable enough as an Interstate to me.
This exact logic works perfectly for I-180 in Lincoln, Nebraska as well, oddly enough, and no one wants to eliminate that.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SD Mapman

Quote from: DandyDan on December 14, 2013, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on December 13, 2013, 02:06:28 PM
This exact logic works perfectly for I-180 in Lincoln, Nebraska as well, oddly enough, and no one wants to eliminate that.
Hear, hear!

on_wisconsin

Don't forget Rochester, MN and Sioux Falls, SD as well. (I-90 between Spokane and the Mississippi River):bigass:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SD Mapman

Quote from: on_wisconsin on December 15, 2013, 02:19:09 AM
Don't forget Rochester, MN and Sioux Falls, SD as well. (I-90 between Spokane and the Mississippi River):bigass:
To call that a region is kinda stretching it... but whatever.

M86

Quote from: mgk920 on December 13, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
BTW, when it was first built, the I-90/190 interchange was a three-level directional 'Y'.

What?  You are very much mistaken.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mapmikey

plus here's a photo, taken by usroadman in 1996, showing the left exit from I-90 WB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadandrailpictures/8093454350/in/set-72157631782939928

Mapmikey

roadman65

What I find interesting is not only that the Exit 57 interchange was not only a three level directional interchange, but still the fact that Rushmore Road and the short I-190 freeway are in line with each other.

As soon as you exit on to I-190 you can see US 16 lined directly in front of you heading up the hill into the Black Hills Area.  The same when you come down from the Black Hills EB on US 16 as you see the I-190 freeway down ahead of you.

Its because the street grid in Rapid City is not completely N-S to E-W.  If you look both north and south of the downtown area you see I-190 bend to the SW slightly before you reach the southern terminus at Omaha Street.  Then US 16 heading north (signed east) it bends slightly  to the NE as it heads into downtown.  However, both straightaways are in line as seen here or if you have ever driven US 16 in person.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Rapid+City,+SD&hl=en&ll=44.081296,-103.230972&spn=0.053888,0.122223&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=8.494959,15.644531&oq=rapi&hnear=Rapid+City,+Pennington,+South+Dakota&t=m&z=13

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.