News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Omaha's once proposed I-580

Started by Revive 755, August 01, 2010, 01:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Another EIS turned up recently involved this route.  It appears from this EIS that the city of Omaha gave up on a complete route to from I-480 to I-680 in the early 1970's.

The actual terminus for I-580 was going to be Florance Boulevard interchange - the actually roadway was to continue on to the airport on what appears to have been built, minus a split diamond interchange (with the halves connected by outer roads) with what I think was 16th Street and some other roads that has been vacated or wasn't built.

It appears all of the proposed interstate was actually built.

huskeroadgeek

The portion to the Florence Blvd. interchange is now the city-maintained Storz Expressway, and Storz Expwy. continues on past there as an urban expressway with intersections only at 16th St., 9th St., and Lindbergh Dr. before it turns into Abbott Dr. just north of the airport.

It apparently was actually signed as I-580 for a time in the early 1980s, though I've never seen any pictures of it. I wonder why they didn't keep it as I-580-it seems to be built to interstate standards.

TheStranger

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 01, 2010, 03:40:53 AM

It apparently was actually signed as I-580 for a time in the early 1980s, though I've never seen any pictures of it. I wonder why they didn't keep it as I-580-it seems to be built to interstate standards.

From what I recall reading, the redaction of I-580 occurred because of the substandard interchange at I-480.
Chris Sampang

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: TheStranger on August 01, 2010, 06:53:35 AM

From what I recall reading, the redaction of I-580 occurred because of the substandard interchange at I-480.
That interchange has been reconstructed in the last 5-10 years-I wonder if it would qualify now.

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if instead NE DOT plans to revive I-580 for a gap of West Dodge Road who got NE-28B and US-6?

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 01, 2010, 04:39:38 PM
I wonder if instead NE DOT plans to revive I-580 for a gap of West Dodge Road who got NE-28B and US-6?
I've never heard of any such plans, but that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure that the West Dodge freeway is to full interstate standards though.

Alps

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 01, 2010, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 01, 2010, 06:53:35 AM

That interchange has been reconstructed in the last 5-10 years-I wonder if it would qualify now.
Earliest aerial I've found online is 1999 - still looks like current.  Earliest topo is 1994 - still looks like current.  Any link to the original, substandard interchange?

froggie

What you're seeing in both of those *IS* the original, substandard interchange.  If you have Google Earth, you can see the transition to the rebuilt interchange in the 2006-to-2009 timeframe.

Both Google Maps and Bing Maps show the rebuilt configuration, though their underlying satellite imagery doesn't.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on August 01, 2010, 09:04:43 PM
What you're seeing in both of those *IS* the original, substandard interchange.
OK, I give up, what's substandard about it?

J N Winkler

"Substandard connections to city streets," NDOR says--based on my experience with the old interchange, I'd say ramps either spaced too tightly or requiring too great a reduction from the mainline speed.  NDOR revised access at 28th and 30th Streets.

http://www.dor.state.ne.us/projects/480-75/index.htm
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

huskeroadgeek

My timeline on reconstruction of the interchange was obviously off-I didn't realize it was that recent. I know the old interchange was still there when I went through there several times in the early 2000s on the way to the airport-and the Street View images, which I'm pretty sure were taken last year show the new interchange, so I knew it was rebuilt sometime in between.

If you compare Google Maps and Bing Maps, you can see the differences-Google Maps shows the old interchange while Bing Maps shows the new one. One noticeable difference between the old and new one is the split between I-480 East and US 75 North traffic-it used to split just S.of the Dodge St. overpass with I-480 taking the right lanes and US 75 taking the left lanes. Now they split just S. of the Douglas St. overpass with I-480 taking the left lanes and US 75 taking the right lanes and using a flyover ramp to go over I-480.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.