AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Late-2017/Early-2018 road trips  (Read 3343 times)

JJBers

• I'm a road geek in the middle of nowhere*

• Last Login: February 15, 2024, 11:49:55 AM
Late-2017/Early-2018 road trips
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:24:42 PM »

Since we're at the end of the Summer, I though we could make another thread for trips from fall-2017 to spring-2018. I have my trip to Augusta, ME that has still no date yet. More set in stone is a trip to the Boston area during Columbus Day weekend.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:35:44 PM by JJBers »
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: Late-2017/Early-2018 road trips
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »

I plan to attend the Columbus road meet in a couple of weeks. It will be a fairly simple trip over mostly-familiar roads, except I may take some of the suggested routings in that meet thread to avoid Columbus traffic if I end up staying the night on the north side of town.

That evening I am going to travel to the southeast corner of Ohio and then finish crossing every Ohio River bridge between Marietta/Williamstown and East Liverpool/Chester (I have a few of them, but not all) and then finish clinching all the state primary routes in West Virginia by driving WV 53 and then WV 5 between Elizabeth and Burnsville.

Outside of that, the only thing I have planned is my trip down to western Kentucky for the meet I'm hosting on Nov. 4 -- that is, if I don't get sick and have to cancel my trip like I did my planned West Virginia meet. Since the proposed Ashtabula County meet is no more, I don't anticipate any travel otherwise.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »

We're going to St. Louis next month for my wife to attend a conference. I have another thread about that asking for advice and I ought to update it now that I've finished the planning. Main aspect from a road-related interest will be clinching I-64 on the way out; we'll also visit the New River Gorge Bridge and probably the covered bridge in Philippi.

Roundtrip to Florida for Christmas. We're taking the Auto Train both ways, so the main challenge of interest will be finding a new route between Sanford and Fort Myers. Might be time to try US-27 past Sebring since we've never been that way, although I understand there are a lot lights at the northern end, so who knows.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:09 PM
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »

Headed to Nashville from the Albany area of NY for Veterans' Day Weekend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:10 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »

Got the following coming up for sure:

October

-   At least two trips to the Monterey Peninsula and certainly Big Sur when Pfeiffer Canyon reopens. 

November

-   The Grand Canyon and US 66 country.  There is a good chance the Hoover Dam and Death Valley will be on the itinerary. 

New Years

-   Possibly the Channel Islands, Joshua Tree, and Zion National parks.

May

-   Washington state, I'll probably try to get the okay to drive home.

June

-   New England to visit Acadia National Park.  I'll probably do a lot of family visits on this trip. 

September

-   Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier National Park. 

There always ends up being way more than what I've listed, above is just what I'm certain on. 

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 07:09:32 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:13:39 PM »

The November New York Tri-State area trip is on no matter what. I haven't set a date either, but it has to be sometime around Veteran's Day for me. The only thing that could stop me at this point would be a major injury that'd keep me close to traction, or my car being destroyed.

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 10:40:03 PM »

Day trip to Charlotte in late January to see Lana Del Rey. I’m trying to think of easily clinchable roads on the way there. Maybe I-85 Business.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Thing 342

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 09:43:55 PM
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 02:19:24 AM »

Trips so far this fall include:

A sojourn out to Breaks Interstate Park, not much new mileage, but I did get to see some of the construction going on around Corridor Q in Pike County, KY.

A weekend trip down to Atlanta for a football game (that I didn't actually get to go to :no:) that followed I-81,I-26,I-40,US-23, and I-985 on they way down, followed by I-75, I-40, I-640, and I-81 on the way back up. Was able to clinch I-26, US 23 in TN and NC, I-985, and I-640 (TN) along the way, so a good trip in total.

Upcoming trips:

Planning on visiting relatives in Savannah for Thanksgiving, though will likely be leaving from HR, so not much new routing unfortunately.

Flying down to Miami for Christmas this year, will likely be able to clinch new routes while driving around town, but no concrete plans as of yet.

I'm also trying to budget for a weekend trip to Detroit in April '18. We'll see if that works out.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:09 PM
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »

Officially headed to Nashville from here in the Albany, NY area on Veterans' Day weekend.  Will be pretty standard since I have clinched everything I have wanted to between here and Knoxville.  Once we get down there, though, there will be counties to be had (finally getting Union and Grainger, TN) and sights to see:

Fall Creek Falls
Great Stone Door
Burgess Falls
Hurricane Bridge
The arch bridge of the Natchez Trace Parkway
Stones River Battlefield
TN State Capitol

Hope to hit Fallingwater on the way back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »

Nothing big, but perhaps sometime this fall yet, or failing that, definitely in the spring, I'm taking a mini-trip to get thorough pictures of MN-110 before MN-62 absorbs it next summer.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »

Day trip to Charlotte in late January to see Lana Del Rey. I’m trying to think of easily clinchable roads on the way there. Maybe I-85 Business.

It would be a little out of the way, but US 311.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:22:23 PM »

It would be a little out of the way, but US 311.
I’ve considered it. It would be my first US route clinch.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.