AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 07:00:56 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by Scott5114
The trend of removing capital letters from corporate logos/names.

That doesn't bother me as much as the blandification of logos does. Almost nothing, in my opinion, looks good in a bold sans serif font:

---

That said, that last logo, despite its similarity to the others, was so poorly received that it only lasted in the wild for about a month. A rare victory.

This is due almost totally to the rise of smartphones and thus smaller display sizes that are less accommodating of graphical frills. Case in point:

The trend of removing capital letters from corporate logos/names.

I can expand this to anyone who thinks only using lowercase letters is "cool" and "hip". This is common in people who turn off auto-correct on their phones.

Generally, I find that only using lowercase letters imparts a more casual tone. If I post here in all-lowercase, for instance, that is generally a sign that I am trying to make a joke without being too obvious about it.

on: Today at 06:59:03 PM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by roadfro
Speaking of transit signals in the US, any reason why the lines are all colored white, instead of like red for the horizontal line, yellow for the diagonal line, and green for the vertical line?

Part of the reasons is because not every place uses three-face transit signals. Here in Washington, the norm is two faces. The bottom lens flashes before the top lens ("stop") goes solid.

The other reason, and likely the more common reason, is to completely eliminate any chance of confusion. On the flip side, they could have conceivably used reverse coloring, like railway signals. Still, it's probably not worth the confusion.
Exactly what I was going to say. Primary reason is likely to eliminate potential confusion between transit signals and signals heads for regular motorists.

And I would hazard the guess that the transit signal symbols were used because those were reliable-enough symbols that were easily discernable based on older technology when those types of transit signals were first implimented. Nowadays, we have things like RYG bicycles symbols in bike-only signals, but I imagine it's still probably a challenge to fit a recognizable bus or light rail symbol within a rounded 12" signal face.

on: Today at 06:52:58 PM 
Started by Bruce - Last post by jakeroot
Cross-post from the "Washington" thread:

Seattle's new Fairview Ave bridge went and opened this past weekend. I took some photos today:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWhP8oj

Here are some of my favorites. There are also some videos at that link that I can't post here without uploading to YouTube:

Looking south down Fairview Ave and the bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Under the new bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Bikes Merge Right by Jacob Root, on Flickr

on: Today at 06:52:30 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by jeffandnicole
Luncheon meat aside, I agree that people often drive too slow in the left lane.

New Jersey tried fixing this with a quixotic law that mandates "keep right except to pass", I once had a New Jersey resident try to explain this to me while stopped at a stop light. In open traffic the concept makes sense, but when both lanes are packed full its moronic.  :pan:

Then you're reading into it too much, almost as if you're finding an excuse to stay in the left lane.

Do you also find speed limits moronic when there's congestion? What's the point of a speed limit when there's congestion and no one can reach the limit anyway?

I am not the one reading it too much, that was the error of the New Jersey resident suggesting I move over, despite the fact that both lanes were solid for a mile or better with cars.

Here's my unofficial guideline: If someone in the left lane was able to merge to the right, pass a slower driver in the left lane, and get back into the left lane, then there was enough room for that person to have moved over to the right lane in the first place.

Like I said, unofficial. Obviously there are assholes that will cut people off with inches to spare to get around someone to gain 20 ft. But if someone is continuously being passed in this manner, chances are they are driving too slow for the left lane.

on: Today at 06:52:05 PM 
Started by kernals12 - Last post by JoePCool14
Economies don't matter. Black lives do.

So removing I-290 and I-55 in Chicago will make black lives matter more? Okay then.

Also, trying to stay on topic, there's always the option of rebuilding certain freeways below grade and covering sections up. It's obviously an expensive feat, but that would probably be the best compromise.

on: Today at 06:51:04 PM 
Started by 1 - Last post by Alps
And (not original, someone else thought of this): at the Bon Jovi service center, whoooah, you're halfway there!
You're not! Cheesequake isn't even 1/3 of the way there.

on: Today at 06:50:49 PM 
Started by jakeroot - Last post by jakeroot
Seattle's new Fairview Ave bridge went and opened this past weekend. I took some photos today:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWhP8oj

Here are some of my favorites. There are also some videos at that link that I can't post here without uploading to YouTube:

Looking south down Fairview Ave and the bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Under the new bridge by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Bikes Merge Right by Jacob Root, on Flickr

on: Today at 06:50:02 PM 
Started by Alps - Last post by Alps
https://goo.gl/maps/JupHFCBMJL2bW4WaA

Was noticing that when I lived in NJ that many shopping centers along arterial roads with jug handles use left side of the road driving at the intersection to allow for protected left turns and uninterrupted through (cross) movements.

In a way this could be NJs version of a DDI but without the interchange.

Many?

This one here is a rare example, and there's a NJ Transit maintenance yard entrance/exit that also has its own phase at this traffic light. A bigger issue with this particular intersection is traffic leaving the shopping center here can't legally make a right, but motorists often do, causing unnecessary mayhem with the opposing traffic.

This is fitting a square peg in a round hole, but not really one of NJDOT's finer moments.
I've seen a few of these, but definitely the exception. I think Eisenhower Parkway at Livingston Mall has another.

on: Today at 06:43:30 PM 
Started by J Route Z - Last post by SkyPesos
^ How about Germany? Coverage is very sparse and I haven’t seen any newer than like 2009. Was there some beef between Google and Germany at some point?

on: Today at 06:42:57 PM 
Started by noelbotevera - Last post by Dirt Roads
Actually, some of us old-timers can remember the days before computers used fonts.  There were plenty of programs that created artistic text: some were pre-canned pixelated designs and some actually were hand-programmed art using stroke and Bézier curves.  I still believe that better signage can be made using these techniques, but manipulating font text in Windows or Mac applications is cheap (and sometimes looks cheap).

Back in pre-Clearview days, TxDOT had a MicroStation bolt-on that was used for designing conventional-road guide signs.  I think it may still be available for download somewhere, but it's been at least five years since I last played with it.  Only Series D was available, and the glyphs were stored as outlines, with a macro to retrieve and lay out each letter once you'd keyed in a legend block.  Positioning and space padding were determined according to one of a small number of stored layouts.  This was probably designed for use in the sign shop, but it was also available for creating sign sketches for insertion in plans.  The simplicity and the (presumably intentional) lack of flexibility resulted in signs that were very uniform in appearance.  When it adopted Clearview in 2003, TxDOT overhauled its conventional-road guide sign design standards and more or less standardized on SignCAD, so some of this uniformity has been lost.

Which reminds me of another example.  In the old days before MicroStation, we used a variety of Intergraph products which could flip back-and-forth between fonts and curve-based lettering.  CSX had a time where we worked with both Intergraph and Bentley PseudoStation side-by-side, and I had to help some folks render basemap text correctly under MicroStation when the files were developed in Intergraph.  Anyhow, I was at an Intergraph users group conference where somebody was selling a sign maker program similar to that MicroStation bolt-on.  And that certainly had Bézier curve font rendering.  For all I know, those were the same guys.

All of which reminds me that Bentley has never developed a good "copy parallel" feature that would allow me to take a complex line with Bézier curves and turn it into a "divided highway" on a map.  Makes one long to go back to the old Intergraph days.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.