AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 04:43:17 PM 
Started by CoreySamson - Last post by sparker
This one is a non-starter. US-96 (and US-287, and US-69) are leave Beaumont together. They split soon after they leave. The farther north US-96 goes, the less important it becomes. US-69 and US-287 seemingly are seemingly more important.

You have to realize everyone WANTS an INTERSTATE. No one wants to pay for one and in Texas even most of the freeways may not be one.  This corridor is way down the line. Like seventeenth (a random number picked out of the air).

Outside the Golden Triangle (the Beaumont area) no one even even has thought about it.

The only portion of US 96 that stands even a snowball's chance in hell of ever being part of an Interstate corridor is that already multiplexed with US 69 and US 287 -- and that as a branch of the I-14 project -- a corridor segment that's likely to be at least a couple of decades out if selected for development.  Just little or no demand for a full freeway north of there, although it looks like US 96 is gradually being 4-laned. 

on: Today at 04:39:51 PM 
Started by dvferyance - Last post by JoePCool14
Of course there is the famous mile roads system in metro Detroit and another one exist although not nearly as famous in Racine County WI. Are there any other places were road systems like this exist?

Gah, the one I was going to mention! I have to say I find the mile-road system in Racine County very useful.

on: Today at 04:37:37 PM 
Started by jakeroot - Last post by JoePCool14
As long as the corner radius is big enough, it doesn't look too unreasonable of a turn to negotiate.

Yeah, I'm no P.E. (yet) but that looks pretty good to me. And again, it sounds like it's a low volume road where this sort of thing isn't really a problem.

on: Today at 04:28:16 PM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by I-39
Having stayed at hotels at that Bear Creek exit many times, this is good news.  That interchange is woeful.  You can't see cross traffic from the ramp terminal coming from under I-65 very well and with no signals, it's not for the timid.  Then that accel lane northbound is very inadequate, especially with that tight loop.

Standard diamond will be better than the legacy interchange they've got, but if I had my druthers, it's a good spot for a DDI.

It’s not busy enough for a DDI. A standard diamond is fine here, as long as there is proper acceleration length on I-65. Getting rid of that dumb and dangerous loop ramp and making Bear Creek 5 lanes with traffic signals at the ramp terminals will do wonders.

Good locations for DDI’s would be the Moore’s Ln and SR 96 interchanges in Franklin. Those will be next up for reconstruction.

TDOT has in its August letting the I-65 widening project between TN 25 and TN 109. This will be the first of four sections that will complete the widening between Nashville and the Kentucky state line.

More info on the overall project can be found at https://www.tn.gov/tdot/projects/region-3/i-65-nashville-to-ky-state-line.html

Excellent. I hope they get the funding together and can start construction on the other three sections as soon as this is done. This widening is needed badly.

on: Today at 04:27:51 PM 
Started by coatimundi - Last post by TheStranger
Something VERY interesting for this thread: US 40 shown in 1934 on the southern (Route 4!) corridor from Crockett to Martinez?!  Does this mean Franklin Canyon Road is old US 40 too.
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~239594~5511896:Road-Map-of-the-State-of-California

---
Selected photos of SF and Alameda County segment:

West terminus of old US 40/50 in San Francisco, 1936-1950s.  Basically where Bryant and 10th meet up.
DSC_2503c by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

1960s plastic I-80 onramp sign at 5th Street - recent enough to be I-80 alone, but old enough that the backlighting has not worked in years.  Prior to 1956-1958, this onramp carried 40 and 50 itself onto the Bay Bridge.
DSC_2507 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Westbound on 7th Street (former US 40 and possibly US 101E) in the Port of Oakland area, with a view of the SF skyline.
DSC_2511 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr
DSC_2513 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Ancient underpass with mission guardrail on eastbound 7th Street (old US 40 and possibly US 101E).  The I-880 sign is at most 24 years old (as the Cypress replacement was opened that year)
DSC_2524 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

DSC_2525 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

DSC_2526 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

7th Street (old US 40 and likely US 101E) at Mandela Parkway (formerly Cypress Street) (old Route 17 and Business US 50).  In 1934, the Cypress/East 14th corridor was slated to be Route 13, though not sure this was ever signed.  So 40/101E and 17 never intersected here.
DSC_2530 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

11th Street (old US 40 and likely US 101E) eastbound crossing I-980
DSC_2531 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Broadway (old US 40 and likely US 101E) northbound at Frank Ogawa Plaza (former southern extent of San Pablo Avenue), downtown Oakland
DSC_2533 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

San Pablo Avenue (old US 40 and likely US 101E) northbound above the Macarthur Boulevard underpass (originally 38th Street, former US 40, US 50 and possibly US 101E).  At the time 40 used San Pablo Avenue south from this point (pre-Bay Bridge), 50 still ended in Sacramento, so this likely was the 40/101E split during the ferry years.
DSC_2540 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr
DSC_2541 by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

Route 123 sign along San Pablo Avenue (old US 40 and old Business US 40), Albany
DSC_2549c by Chris Sampang, on Flickr

on: Today at 04:25:31 PM 
Started by Mergingtraffic - Last post by TXtoNJ
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2126251,-122.8102155,3a,49.4y,162.83h,87.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scapbmGxOKojlK1gfizWNug!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

BC posts a ton of Maximum 90 km/h signs around the Port Mann Bridge. Noticeable, because traffic's usually flowing at around 115 km/h around there.

on: Today at 04:24:27 PM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by CapeCodder
Yes, it was during the June 2008 floods on the Mississippi in Clarksville, MO. I was interviewed by KTVI.

on: Today at 04:23:25 PM 
Started by Alex - Last post by 74/171FAN
PennDOT - District 12 News: Emergency Closure Route 40 - Henry Clay Township  (Well no clinching US 40 for the 4th of July)

Route 40 to Reopen - Henry Clay Township, Fayette County

on: Today at 04:19:10 PM 
Started by jakeroot - Last post by kphoger
As long as the corner radius is big enough, it doesn't look too unreasonable of a turn to negotiate.

on: Today at 04:19:01 PM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by JoePCool14
The trend of removing capital letters from corporate logos/names.

I can expand this to anyone who thinks only using lowercase letters is "cool" and "hip". This is common in people who turn off auto-correct on their phones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.