AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Reversed Mileage Signs  (Read 376 times)

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: Today at 09:29:42 AM
Reversed Mileage Signs
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:22:59 PM »

I was looking for a topic on this before.....I was in New Mexico (of course) in June and I saw a sign with three towns on it, and the furthest away town was listed in the middle, meaning the towns didn't increase in distance as you read down the sign as standard.  I unfortunately can't remember where the sign was so I can't link the image, but I was looking for like examples, and am curious in those situations, what do you think the rationale is for showing them out of order?  Do you think one location is a more popular destination so the state puts more emphasis on it?

kphoger

• Last Login: July 31, 2021, 03:16:49 PM
Re: Reversed Mileage Signs
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »

I've seen this plenty of times in Mexico, but also the "normal" way.

To me, it makes sense to have the farther-away destination on top, because up=ahead on signage.  Thus, the farther up the sign, the farther away the destination.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SkyPesos

• definition of pain: I-75

• Last Login: Today at 12:43:44 AM
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 03:07:27 PM »

I-26 in SC. Greenville is the furthest away city in that sequence and listed in the middle.
Traveled 2di: 4, 5, 10, 20, 24, 26, 29, 35, 39, 40, 44, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 83, 84, 85, 87, 88, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95
Cities I've lived in: Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), St Louis, Fuzhou
My Fictional Highways Thread

kphoger

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »

I-26 in SC. Greenville is the furthest away city in that sequence and listed in the middle.

I expected that to be because Spartanburg is on a different route.  But, no, it's Greenville that's on a different route.  Doubly weird!
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 03:50:50 PM »

To me, it makes sense to have the farther-away destination on top, because up=ahead on signage.  Thus, the farther up the sign, the farther away the destination.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up what the SCT guide says on this.  As it turns out, signage in Mexico is supposed to list the farther-away destination on top.

The highlighted portion can be translated:

When it is necessary to indicate an important intermediate place, a lower board shall be used, positioned on the same support...

Male pronouns, please.

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: Today at 09:29:42 AM
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 04:06:56 PM »

Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up what the SCT guide says on this.  As it turns out, signage in Mexico is supposed to list the farther-away destination on top.

The highlighted portion can be translated:

When it is necessary to indicate an important intermediate place, a lower board shall be used, positioned on the same support...

Interesting to see Series E in the Mexico manual as opposed to B as I usually see on the signage. 

kphoger

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 04:27:09 PM by kphoger »
Male pronouns, please.

ran4sh

• Last Login: Today at 02:08:35 AM
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 12:00:36 AM »

I expected that to be because Spartanburg is on a different route.  But, no, it's Greenville that's on a different route.  Doubly weird!

Not necessarily "doubly weird" if you technically follow the MUTCD. The bottom line is for the control city, which is Spartanburg. The middle line is for a notable intermediate destination, which can vary on each sign. SC could have used the I-385 junction itself for that line, but instead lists its destination of Greenville.
University of Georgia est. 1785 -  The Birthplace of Public Higher Education in America - 2018 Rose Bowl Champion - 3 W streak vs Ga Tech - 4 W streak vs Auburn

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:18 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 08:28:21 PM »

Interesting to see Series E in the Mexico manual as opposed to B as I usually see on the signage. 

The SCT doesn't have a Series 'E' or 'B'.  They have '1' through '5'.

http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/NUEVO-SENALAMIENTO/21-Capitulo_Vlll_Letras_y_numeros_para_se%C3%B1ales.pdf

http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/NUEVO-SENALAMIENTO/manualSenalamientoVialDispositivosSeguridad.pdf

Interestingly, it looks like while Series 5 corresponds to B and Series 4 corresponds to C, Series 3 is kind of a C-and-a-half, while 2 is D and 1 is E.

Very clearly based on FHWA Series, but I can spot some noticeable differences.

amroad17

• Last Login: Today at 03:05:46 AM
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:05:04 AM »

This sign had been put up this way since I-75 was opened, I believe (it has been listed this way since when I moved to Northern Kentucky in 1994)...
https://goo.gl/maps/T3TW8uLd8zVdsTbW6
With the improvements made to I-75 between US 42/127 (Exit 180) and Mt. Zion Road (Exit 178) the sign now is more standard...
https://goo.gl/maps/pnjP5wYYoLN7zTTb9
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.