News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=936856613010553&set=gm.297989813741871&type=1&theater

an Outdated button copy shot in 2014 "Marine World Parkway" in CA-37 in Vallejo, CA but Marine World Parkway no longer exists today. Its been renamed CA-37 Parkway James Capoot Highway.

jakeroot

I thought this sign was rather interesting. Why you ask? Well, it's the only Washington I-5 state-named shield that I know in Pierce County, but more interesting is that it's in unincorporated Pierce County...basically, it's in the middle of nowhere. I'm used to seeing state-named shields in Seattle, where the infrastructure is so old that it makes sense. But the location of the sign (here) in question does baffle me a bit; the freeway was built in the late 70s, and (as far as I knew, at least) state-named shields by then were already phased-out. Keeping me from putting this on the best-of thread is the fact that the BGS is really starting to fall apart, and the I-5/WA-512 shields are out of order (the sign is pointing drivers toward the WA-512 on-ramps).

The most embarrassing thing is that I drive past this sign everyday and have never noticed this.

vdeane

Quote from: jakeroot on November 07, 2014, 01:20:55 AM
Keeping me from putting this on the best-of thread is the fact that the BGS is really starting to fall apart
I don't think that's a qualifier over there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I can't decide whether this belongs here, in "Worst of," or somewhere else, so I'll put it here. I passed this I-95 shield earlier today in Springfield, Virginia. It's new within the past few weeks and there's another just like it a short distance further back at the previous intersection. I assume the covered-up sign underneath says "E-ZPass EXPRESS" for the new HO/T lanes that begin operation next month.

I'm not sure whether I like this shield because what draws my eye is the amount of empty blue space between the "95" digits and the red "Interstate" portion. Seems to me if you want to post a neutered shield, you may as well use the vacated space to employ larger numbers. Leaving the vacated space like this just calls my eye's attention to the missing state name. On the other hand, some neutered shields' numbers look almost too big, sort of like they're crammed in by using every square millimetre of available space, and that's certainly not the case here (though Virginia has plenty of that type of shield). Hence why I couldn't decide which thread was the right place.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 07, 2014, 01:08:25 PMI'm not sure whether I like this shield because what draws my eye is the amount of empty blue space between the "95" digits and the red "Interstate" portion. Seems to me if you want to post a neutered shield, you may as well use the vacated space to employ larger numbers. Leaving the vacated space like this just calls my eye's attention to the missing state name. On the other hand, some neutered shields' numbers look almost too big, sort of like they're crammed in by using every square millimetre of available space, and that's certainly not the case here (though Virginia has plenty of that type of shield). Hence why I couldn't decide which thread was the right place.

That seems to be a recurring practice as of late; especially w/2di shields.  I've seen similar examples of new I-95 shields in PA & MA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

NE2

Quote from: bing101 on November 07, 2014, 01:34:48 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2014, 12:59:36 PM
Quote from: bing101 on October 30, 2014, 04:18:52 PM
Its been renamed CA-37 Parkway James Capoot Highway.
I doubt this.

http://patch.com/california/dixon/highway-named-for-slain-vallejo-officer-capoot

Here it is

QuoteThe signs designate that section of road as Vallejo Police Officer James Capoot Memorial Highway.

Leaving aside the question of who the fuck uses these ceremonial names, this is not "CA-37 Parkway James Capoot Highway".

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: bing101 on October 29, 2014, 09:51:13 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=936840436345504&set=a.187942584568630.50648.100000586708549&type=1&theater

Odd Sign on I-80 @ CA-12 in Fairfield, CA for the Sacramento and Fairfield Control Cities on I-80.
Just through there this fall, visiting my wife's cousin who lives in Suisun City. I think the reason for the "Fairfield" entry on the pull-through sign is to alert traffic that EB CA-12 doesn't go to Fairfield; rather you have to exit ahead.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

jakeroot

Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2014, 03:24:05 PM
Leaving aside the question of who the fuck uses these ceremonial names, this is not "CA-37 Parkway James Capoot Highway".

In my attempt to find the sign, searching google for "Parkway James Capoot Highway" returned zero results. "James Capoot Highway" also returned zero results.

doorknob60

I posted this in the erroneous thread already, but I thought it was odd enough to post here.

I'm not sure who's responsible for this (Lane County?), but this is their attempt at an OR-58 shield:

Points for effort I guess. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before, except old state named US shields.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on November 07, 2014, 01:20:55 AMWell, it's the only Washington I-5 state-named shield that I know in Pierce County...

Off the top of my head, I can't prove you wrong.  But I assure you I'm taking that as a challenge.

Quote from: jakeroot on November 07, 2014, 01:20:55 AM...and the I-5/WA-512 shields are out of order (the sign is pointing drivers toward the WA-512 on-ramps).

Huge peeve of mine, and I think every ramp between Steele Street and Puyallup has the shields in that order.  Even worse though is at the western terminus... Not only is there no mention of 512 at all, but look at the control cities.  An I-5 South city, a 512 East city... but no I-5 North city.  (Especially egregious given that it's pointing north on South Tacoma Way.  I'd imagine more traffic passing this sign is headed towards Tacoma/Seattle than Olympia, since southbound traffic would have the option of heading south and getting on I-5 at Bridgeport rather than backtracking north and getting on here.)

PHLBOS

Saw this retro-style, cut-corner LGS along MA 67 in New Braintree this past weekend.  Pardon the grainy GSV image.

I say retro because the white/grey reflectorized lettering is the dead give-away that this LGS does not date back to 1973-74... the last time the MassDPW made cut-corner D6 LGS panels.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on November 10, 2014, 10:42:30 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on November 10, 2014, 10:33:47 AM
Saw this retro-style, cut-corner LGS along MA 67 in New Braintree this past weekend.  Pardon the grainy GSV image.

Much better photo:

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ma/ma_67/
Thanks for sharing.  At least the GSV and my observation this past weekend proves that this LGS is still there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

talllguy

jakeroot

Quote from: talllguy on November 11, 2014, 10:33:50 PM
OK? Is it normal to put OK?

I've seen it when the sign has just a single directional arrow, but not both like here.

roadfro

That used to be fairly common on shared lane-use arrow signs, at least around Las Vegas, NV--but I haven't in years.

It may have been an old standard or option in the MUTCD...I'd have to look...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

NYhwyfan

Quote from: talllguy on November 11, 2014, 10:33:50 PM
OK? Is it normal to put OK?

Why even bother with 'OK'
Just install a plain Left / Straight Optional Lane sign

SignGeek101

Alex4897

Quote from: roadfro on November 12, 2014, 03:41:20 AM
That used to be fairly common on shared lane-use arrow signs, at least around Las Vegas, NV--but I haven't in years.

It may have been an old standard or option in the MUTCD...I'd have to look...

I'm fairly certain that "OK" is an option in the MUTCD.  Judging by the confusion it's causing though it doesn't take much to assume that it's lightly used.
👉😎👉

Revive 755

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 12, 2014, 08:52:19 PM
I'm fairly certain that "OK" is an option in the MUTCD.  Judging by the confusion it's causing though it doesn't take much to assume that it's lightly used.

Quote from: 2009 MUTCD, Section 2B.21, Paragraph 07The word message OK may be used within the border in combination with the arrow symbols of the R3-6 sign.

hbelkins

So you can either go straight or turn left to get to Oklahoma.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.