News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on December 14, 2014, 10:12:09 AM
I looked through the MUTCD sections 2B.04-2B.12, and I cannot find any allowance or prohibition for using the 4-way plaque under a yield sign.
"05 The ALL WAY plaque shall only be used if all intersection approaches are controlled by STOP signs."

So what is the difference between a 4-way stop and a 4 way-yield?   :hmmm:   :confused:
An uncontrolled intersection is literally the same as an all-way yield.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cjk374

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2014, 10:17:50 AM
I looked through the MUTCD sections 2B.04-2B.12, and I cannot find any allowance or prohibition for using the 4-way plaque under a yield sign.
"05 The ALL WAY plaque shall only be used if all intersection approaches are controlled by STOP signs."

Man I need to read a bit more careful.  So this means that the 4-way yield is non-compliant.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thenetwork

I can see where an All-Way Yield plaque could lead to trouble -- roundabouts.  It insinuates that people within a roundabout could yield to traffic waiting to enter, and then cause even more problems. 

jakeroot

Just to clear this up, the all-way yield sign was in a parking lot. :sombrero: I suppose this means that it's hardly unique (most parking lot signs are unique in their awfulness) but it certainly caught my eye.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 14, 2014, 01:31:51 AM
Saw these two interesting signs in Federal Way, Washington yesterday:

Great that the flashing yellow indication--an arrow--was illuminated when that picture was taken.

Seems like the sign designer, or someone in the sign shop, had never seen an FYA display before and just modeled the sign after the standard "left turn yield on [circular green]" sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Tom958

SignGeek101

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 17, 2014, 10:57:03 PM
Not in the US:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadagood/5532809828/sizes/l

NOT my pic. Credit goes to the author. No GMSV to back it up.

Miles?  In Canada?  I guess the Metric Police must have missed that one.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2014, 11:39:25 AM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 17, 2014, 10:57:03 PM
Not in the US:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/canadagood/5532809828/sizes/l

NOT my pic. Credit goes to the author. No GMSV to back it up.

Miles?  In Canada?  I guess the Metric Police must have missed that one.

I've always been curious how non-metric literacy is evolving in Canada. Anyone over a certain age can surely think in miles and feet, as can anyone in construction, but I'll bet it's diminishing.

SidS1045

I've also noticed that the various TV programs featuring the contractor Mike Holmes (a Canadian) talk about almost every measurement in English units, except for temperature.

jwolfer

Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2014, 09:58:21 PM
I've also noticed that the various TV programs featuring the contractor Mike Holmes (a Canadian) talk about almost every measurement in English units, except for temperature.
Construction is still in feet and inches. People think of height in feet.

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex on December 02, 2014, 09:47:07 AM
Quote from: jbnv on December 01, 2014, 11:01:35 PM
I don't think this has been posted: Suwanee River crossing sign with musical notation, I-10, Florida.

Only other instance with musical notes on a guide sign that comes to mind for me is the Hank Williams Memorial Lost Highway on I-65 in Lower Alabama:

I'm guessing whoever designed that sign isn't a musician–the staff only has 4 lines!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cjk374

Maybe you wouldn't be able to read LOST HIGHWAY if it had more lines?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thenetwork

ODOT in the recent years had to note every crossing of a city limit on a stretch of I-71 between exits 244 and 245 to denote what is in the city of Brooklyn and what is in the city of Cleveland.  It was moreso because the 2 cities were getting very anal about which city had to respond to calls on this stretch of freeway (talk about splitting hairs)

Look at how often I-71 crosses between the 2 cities in under a mile on this map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brooklyn,+OH/@41.447575,-81.7380672,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8830ee468f9bf5f5:0x6cbe6346175e419a

and you'll see a small example of how ODOT had to respond to it:

This 25-30 foot section of Cleveland makes the 500-some foot section of I-71 through nearby Linndale look like you're crossing Delaware on I-95!!!

I would hate to see what would happen if a 53' semi trailer or larger would have an incident on this spot. How would the two cities cope???

J N Winkler

Quote from: thenetwork on December 21, 2014, 10:07:09 PMI would hate to see what would happen if a 53' semi trailer or larger would have an incident on this spot. How would the two cities cope???

They would pro-rate it by length in each jurisdiction, and then spend approximately five times the total incident cost arguing in court about the bill.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vtk

I note one of those signs in the picture is Clearview 5W/4W, while the other is FHWA EM/E.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jbnv

Quote from: thenetwork on December 21, 2014, 10:07:09 PM
ODOT in the recent years had to note every crossing of a city limit on a stretch of I-71 between exits 244 and 245 to denote what is in the city of Brooklyn and what is in the city of Cleveland.  It was moreso because the 2 cities were getting very anal about which city had to respond to calls on this stretch of freeway (talk about splitting hairs)

Look at how often I-71 crosses between the 2 cities in under a mile on this map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brooklyn,+OH/@41.447575,-81.7380672,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x8830ee468f9bf5f5:0x6cbe6346175e419a

Good grief. Can't they just shake hands and agree to move the border to the creek? There must be an interesting story that goes with that squiggly border.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

SignGeek101

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Quote from: jwolfer on December 21, 2014, 02:08:18 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on December 19, 2014, 09:58:21 PM
Construction is still in feet and inches. People think of height in feet.

And to get even weirder, ambient temperatures are in Celsius, but cooking temperatures are in Fahrenheit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Jim

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 24, 2014, 11:04:56 AM
Never seen this before. I think it means the lane is ending...

I've seen "Squeeze Left" occasionally, but found only one picture of it in my collection.  This one's from a construction zone in Hadley, MA, in 2002.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

SidS1045

Quote from: SignGeek101 on December 24, 2014, 11:04:56 AM
Never seen this before. I think it means the lane is ending...

GMSV: http://goo.gl/maps/mjodq

ISTR a number of these on the Interborough (now Jackie Robinson) Parkway, in the area of the sharp curves in the cemetery belt as you leave Brooklyn.

6a

Quote from: thenetwork on December 21, 2014, 10:07:09 PM

and you'll see a small example of how ODOT had to respond to it:

This 25-30 foot section of Cleveland makes the 500-some foot section of I-71 through nearby Linndale look like you're crossing Delaware on I-95!!!

I would hate to see what would happen if a 53' semi trailer or larger would have an incident on this spot. How would the two cities cope???

Along those lines, Ohio also uses 'Enter Corp' and 'Leave Corp' signs for the same purposes, something I don't recall seeing in too many other places. As for your specific example, check this out:

US 62 in Columbus / Franklin Township (red is the township.) Note in at least one spot the line goes down the middle of the road! I have heard of arguments over accidents where even the police don't know what jurisdiction is needed.

The Nature Boy

The FL sign posted a page back made me think of this:

Are NH and ME the only two states to provide distance in miles and kilometers?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.