News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidS1045

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 24, 2014, 10:00:42 PM
The FL sign posted a page back made me think of this:

Are NH and ME the only two states to provide distance in miles and kilometers?

NY has some on the Northway in Clinton County (Plattsburgh area), up to the Canadian border.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

vdeane

I don't recall seeing any the two times I was there.  Maybe they used to have them?  Even the French "limited cell service" sign uses miles!
http://www.nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i87&state=NY&file=101_0612.JPG (unfortunately blurry due to the sun; click for the full size which is kinda sorta readable)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There are a few signs in both Kentucky and Tennessee that have miles and kilometers listed.

(Why do we pronounce it "killahmahters" instead of "killometers"?)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on December 25, 2014, 08:26:48 PM

Depends on where you're from. I've always said the latter. Probably because that's how most Canadians pronounce it (notably, everyone in BC, even the British transplants).

The Nature Boy

I remember distinctly pronouncing it "kilo-meters" in school but being told that I was incorrect. As a grammatical construct, kilo-meters makes sense because it's in line with how you pronounce the rest of the metric system.

1995hoo

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 25, 2014, 08:47:17 PM
I remember distinctly pronouncing it "kilo-meters" in school but being told that I was incorrect. As a grammatical construct, kilo-meters makes sense because it's in line with how you pronounce the rest of the metric system.

Heh. I remember when I was a kid one of my classmates asked the teacher why we don't say "kill-ah-grums" instead of "kilo-grams" if we are to say "kill-ah-mitters."

To carry it to further absurdity, consider "kilolitres."

I've always said "kilo-metres" (with the first "e" a long "e").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on December 25, 2014, 08:26:48 PM
There are a few signs in both Kentucky and Tennessee that have miles and kilometers listed.

Thermometer would be a good barometer for how to pronounce kilometer....

I'm trying to think of a xxxometer that is not pronounced this way but cannot.

Velometer, pedometer, speedometer

Mapmikey

1995hoo

But most ordinary people don't pronounce other metric measurements ending in "-metre" like "ih-tur"–it's not "sen-TIM-ih-tur," for example, or "mill-IH-mih-tur." It's illogical for this one measurement to be pronounced differently.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TXtoNJ

American English, when given the choice, tends to stress the second syllable in words that have more than three syllables. Millimeter and centimeter once* were both pronounced with the stress on the second syllable (~1828), but that faded away, owing in part to "e" being a stronger vowel than a "short i". With kilometer, though, the "short o" tends to be a stronger vowel than "e", making it more resistant to this change in pronunciation.

*To be fair, at that time, only the very well-educated would even know what a millimeter or centimeter were.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SignGeek101

mass_citizen

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 26, 2014, 02:35:39 PM

Thermometer would be a good barometer for how to pronounce kilometer....

I'm trying to think of a xxxometer that is not pronounced this way but cannot.

Picometer, nanometer, hectometer

mhh

In modern English, emphasis on the first syllable (CENT-i-meter, MILL-i-meter) usually indicates a metric unit, while emphasis on the  second syllable (spee-DOM-eter, o-DOM-eter, ther-MOM-eter) usually indicates a measuring device. The pronunciation "kil-OM-eter" is an illogical exception.

Also, in most if not all English-speaking countries other than the United States, metric units end with "-re" while measuring devices end with "-er".

AsphaltPlanet

Signs like these debuted along the 402 in Sarnia, ON about a decade ago.  Queued US bound trucks were instructed not to block ramp lanes, and signs like these were installed at the end of each ramp in Sarnia.  Only this one remains:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Brandon on December 26, 2014, 09:19:18 PM

I'll stick with 0.62 mile, thankyouverymuch.  :bigass:

I'll prefer to go with 1.609344 km instead of a mile :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

SignGeek101

elsmere241

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 04, 2015, 03:41:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 26, 2014, 09:19:18 PM

I'll stick with 0.62 mile, thankyouverymuch.  :bigass:

I'll prefer to go with 1.609344 km instead of a mile :sombrero:.

Except it's 1.609347218694 because a km is 5280 survey feet (exactly 39.37 in/m vs exactly 2.54 cm/in).

Pete from Boston

PHLBOS

During last weekend's Cape May mini-meet; we all saw this gem of a sign along CR 621/Ocean Drive in North Wildwood.

IMHO, the above would rival this one in Lower Township; the site of the meet's group photo (which will eventually be posted in the meet thread).

Close-up of similar sign at the opposite side of the bridge, now gone; scroll down.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kkt

SignGeek101

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4118984473/in/pool-canada-signs

Quite unique. Not even sure what font this is, but it's not Helvetica, Arial, Times New Roman or any of the arialveticverstesk combination.

Doesn't look like the MTO installed it though. Could be local or private.

Not my pic. Credit goes to the author.

jakeroot

I always like seeing Series E for interstate numerals...wait this shield also appears to be a 2di. I love it even more now.

For what it's worth, this sign has been installed for a long time. I'm still not sure what the green-out covers.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 05, 2015, 06:37:51 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4118984473/in/pool-canada-signs

Quite unique. Not even sure what font this is, but it's not Helvetica, Arial, Times New Roman or any of the arialveticverstesk combination.

Interesting. I imagine it might be a bit difficult to read from a distance with all the detail in the letters. I think that's why sans-serif fonts work so well on road signs.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.