News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: jakeroot on March 31, 2015, 12:15:23 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 30, 2015, 09:47:50 PM
Here's an interesting one that went up here in Huntsville, AL recently:

The reason I'm posting it here is because I'm not sure if it actually qualifies for "worst of", but it's certainly close.

Looks like a first grader cut out that arrow -- no, pre-schooler.

...with left-handed safety scissors!!   :bigass:

roadfro

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadfro on March 31, 2015, 11:00:16 AM
^^ Also unusual there's no border on that U-turn sign.

Kid was running with scissors and had them taken away.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

Zeffy

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.366919,-92.035479,3a,15y,297.33h,89.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9U3J6Hw3NJN0v9Ro1eJ3eA!2e0

Interesting because you are already in Minnesota, and they choose to use Minnesota as a destination. Also, what's that symbol / shield / insignia under both of the legends?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Zeffy on March 31, 2015, 10:45:58 PM
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.366919,-92.035479,3a,15y,297.33h,89.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9U3J6Hw3NJN0v9Ro1eJ3eA!2e0

Interesting because you are already in Minnesota, and they choose to use Minnesota as a destination. Also, what's that symbol / shield / insignia under both of the legends?

That's the Great River Road shield posted along routes following along the Mississippi River. My guess is that you are approaching the Great River Road route, and can either follow it into Wisconsin or follow it as it enters Minnesota.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

steviep24

freebrickproductions

I finally got a photo of one of the two neutered stand-alone I-565 shields on I-565 back during Spring Break:
Neutered I-565 Sheild by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

Not erroneous, not bad bad, but just very poorly laid out (IL-47, Yorkville, IL):

For clarification, it's "Silver Springs State Park" and the "Hoover Center" (owned by the Kendall County Forest Preserve District).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SignGeek101

Not my pic. Monotype Corsiva, really? It's not North American, but still, I rather see Helvetica.

JoePCool14

I have joked about that font actually being on a sign before, but I guess anything is possible when you go outside the USA.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Zeffy

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

JoePCool14

Odd of MDOT to make a sign that poor, I assume its trying to say this ramp is the last USA one? I don't really know.  :confused:

EDIT: Actually if you look at what exit it is it means This ramp is exiting or leaving the USA. It is poorly worded, but if you see the whole picture it makes more sense.

bzakharin

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 06, 2015, 05:28:52 PM
Odd of MDOT to make a sign that poor, I assume its trying to say this ramp is the last USA one? I don't really know.  :confused:

EDIT: Actually if you look at what exit it is it means This ramp is exiting or leaving the USA. It is poorly worded, but if you see the whole picture it makes more sense.
I think it's the opposite. What part of "ramp must exit USA" is poorly worded? "No re-entry to USA" is however incorrect. Re-entry by its very nature requires one to leave first, so unless Canada arrests you or something, you can re-enter USA.

JoePCool14

Quote from: bzakharin on April 06, 2015, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 06, 2015, 05:28:52 PM

I think it's the opposite. What part of "ramp must exit USA" is poorly worded? "No re-entry to USA" is however incorrect. Re-entry by its very nature requires one to leave first, so unless Canada arrests you or something, you can re-enter USA.
Despite it being more incorrect, I think at first glance the sign "RAMP MUST EXIT USA" is more confusing.

I'd prefer "NO USA ACCESS THIS EXIT" or something like that.

Zeffy

Quote from: bzakharin on April 06, 2015, 05:37:24 PM

The USA part being in larger text threw me off - now I see it's a continuous phrase.

Big John

jakeroot

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

D-Dey65

Am I the only person here who remembers when Class 3 Object Markers were both black and yellow, and black and white? I believe FDOT still painted up the pylons of bridges in the same colors as recently as the 2000's.

I wish I had a picture of one.

renegade

Quote from: Zeffy on April 06, 2015, 05:17:34 PM
I'm putting these here because I have no idea what it's trying to convey. I-75/I-96 in Detroit:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.315852,-83.085049,3a,17.6y,78.68h,92.39t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFXenJSkeGFwv0-Hh0iLFjg!2e0

That ramp goes directly to the Ambassador Bridge.  There is absolutely NO place to turn around after you pass the gore point.  You MUST go through customs in Canada, explain how you messed up, then turn around and go back to Detroit, and explain to the Border Patrol how you messed up.  Plan on a delightful minimum of three hours.  If you take that ramp without intending to go to Canada, you'll quickly learn exactly what that sign is trying to say.

Don't ask how I know about this, just understand that I do.   :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

Everyone knows about the purple guide signs along the Westpark Tollway in Houston, right? I haven't seen them discussed before. I think they're pretty unique.

riiga

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.