Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Quote from: riiga on April 09, 2015, 07:24:05 PM
They look quite nice I think.

I agree. Wouldn't mind it being in the MUTCD for Collector signs on Express / Collector freeways, instead of what they do now.

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 05, 2015, 12:59:11 PM
I'm sure I have commented on this before, but I've always liked the convention of using the blue signs over the collector lanes and the green signs over the express lanes (on the 401 in Toronto). I think it makes more sense than the MUTCD system of using the same color for all guide signs and then mandating extra banners on top of the signs to ensure the dumbest drivers out there understand that a sign over a different carriageway is directed at people on that carriageway.

signalman

Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2015, 07:18:50 PM
Everyone knows about the purple guide signs along the Westpark Tollway in Houston, right? I haven't seen them discussed before. I think they're pretty unique.

Whoa!  I wasn't aware of those.  Those are definitely unique.  I assume you found them messing around in GSV?

jakeroot

Quote from: signalman on April 10, 2015, 04:13:26 AM
Everyone knows about the purple guide signs along the Westpark Tollway in Houston, right? I haven't seen them discussed before. I think they're pretty unique.

Whoa!  I wasn't aware of those.  Those are definitely unique.  I assume you found them messing around in GSV?

Actually took it myself. I was going from West Houston to the Galleria, and Google Maps directed me to use it. Thankfully I had a tolltag in my rental.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

riiga

renegade

I recalled reading that a STOP sign must "present" as eight-sided from the front.  A square sign mounted behind one, facing the other direction would prevent that.  A cutout would solve that issue, I guess ...  :hmmm:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on April 09, 2015, 07:18:50 PMEveryone knows about the purple guide signs along the Westpark Tollway in Houston, right? I haven't seen them discussed before. I think they're pretty unique.

HCTRA applied for permission for them from FHWA in 2003.  At that time I think the Westpark Tollway was either the very first or one of the first ETC-only toll roads in the US.  IIRC, it was denied on the grounds that the purple should be narrowly tailored to electronic tolling messages, but HCTRA went ahead and put them up anyway.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Big John

Quote from: renegade on April 12, 2015, 11:19:13 AM
I recalled reading that a STOP sign must "present" as eight-sided from the front.  A square sign mounted behind one, facing the other direction would prevent that.  A cutout would solve that issue, I guess ...  :hmmm:
Wisconsin uses an octagonal do not enter sign in that situation.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on April 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM

Washington seems to just put the do not enter sign somewhere else.

Is there anything wrong with a cut-out do not enter sign? Is that prohibited somewhere?

NE2

If you don't know whether a side street has a stop sign, you'll be more cautious if anything.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on April 12, 2015, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 12, 2015, 12:00:31 PM

Washington seems to just put the do not enter sign somewhere else.

Is there anything wrong with a cut-out do not enter sign? Is that prohibited somewhere?

I don't think there is anything preventing using a cut-out sign for this purpose. It's not standard, but the relevant aspect of the sign still meets the standard regulatory design.

As of the 2009 MUTCD, it is prohibited to put another sign (such as the Do Not Enter) on the back of a stop sign, if that sign would obscure the shape of the stop sign from the opposite direction (so drivers passing from other sides of the intersection can interpret that there is a stop sign on that approach). The manual recommends reducing the size of the second sign or increasing the size of the stop sign to compensate. I would imagine using a cutout of a Do Not Enter meets with this intent.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

D-Dey65

Unique, yes. But still ugly. It looks like something you see from staring into the sun too long.

mrsman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 13, 2015, 09:58:59 PM

Unique, yes. But still ugly. It looks like something you see from staring into the sun too long.
Agreed.  Prefer the green signs with a purple tab to denote toll roads.

kkt

I was going to say it looks like the video cable has come partway loose from the computer.

signalman

^I'm probably in the minority here, but opinions are like assholes.  Personally, I like the purple signs for toll roads.  However, I wonder how well they can can be read in bad weather or at night.

jbnv

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2015, 04:19:51 AM
I wonder how well they can can be read in bad weather or at night.
Why would a purple sign be less readable than a green sign?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

vdeane

Different color combinations.  Green is used for guide signs in the US because a study conducted in preparation for the interstate highway system where drivers drove around a test track found that green was the most readable, beating out blue and black.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

Quote from: signalman on April 14, 2015, 04:19:51 AM
^I'm probably in the minority here, but opinions are like assholes.  Personally, I like the purple signs for toll roads.  However, I wonder how well they can can be read in bad weather or at night.

Purple is my favorite color, so you can imagine that I like these signs as well. You'd be correct.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

signalman

Quote from: jbnv on April 14, 2015, 01:30:51 PM
Why would a purple sign be less readable than a green sign?
Like Valerie pointed out, the color combinations involved.  Here in the Northeast, purple is used to denote EZ Pass only lanes (interchanges too, for the PA Turnpike).  From personal experience, at night or inclement weather, I can attest to the white on purple not being too easy to read.  I know it's EZ Pass only, but it isn't easily readable from a distance.

authenticroadgeek

Google Street View isn't updated to show this yet, but approaching the junction with UT-265 (University Parkway) on northbound US-89... It's confusing. When you approach the road northbound, instead of SR-265, the JCT sign says US-265. As first when I saw this, I was like: THEY'RE TURNING UNIVERSITY INTO A US ROUTE?! But then I turned left, and the reassurance sign said SR-265.

:poke:

mapman1071

Quote from: kkt on April 13, 2015, 11:23:44 PM

I was going to say it looks like the video cable has come partway loose from the computer.

Walt Disney World Uses White on Purple for there signs?

Mr. Matté

Kacie Jane

SignGeek101

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 18, 2015, 05:03:27 PM
Hungry hungry tree:

How does that even happen? I know that sign is old, but still, it's just amazing to me. Nature I guess..  :clap:

Maybe in 50 -100 years when the tree dies, the old sign will remain   :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.