News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

In Mustang, OK, I saw a city-installed wayfinder sign that used Transport on Sara Road at the SH-152 intersection. Unfortunately it seems to have been installed after GSV went through last.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

index

The weight limit on this bridge was changed to 0 tons after it was closed. I don't know why they'd even bother keeping the sign up if they're gonna close the bridge, let alone change it to 0 tons. Why make changes to a sign that's no longer needed?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4112599,-93.0699495,3a,15y,125.53h,89.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srEjHGWEQ85UKSnboHLJgyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4107864,-93.0691329,3a,15y,319.05h,87.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqWr4RbbEU4EZRWE9fBCW8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Scott5114

This sign advertising brine in Loving County, Texas, appears to be made out of button copy (though it's hard to tell, check out the other side).

CoreySamson

I have a lot of questions on this one. What here is EXEMPT? Is it for the bike path? What is being exempt? How has it managed to stay up during the recent construction here?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

Looks like there used to be a railroad crossing there, which would mean trucks, school buses, and other traffic normally required to stop at railroad lines would be exempt from doing so. Unsure of why they removed the round RXR sign but not the EXEMPT plaque, though.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Found this about 10 years ago along an abandoned section of US 71 south of Rich Hill, MO.  It has since disappeared.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 06:01:46 PM
Looks like there used to be a railroad crossing there, which would mean trucks, school buses, and other traffic normally required to stop at railroad lines would be exempt from doing so. Unsure of why they removed the round RXR sign but not the EXEMPT plaque, though.

Here's a similar example in California.
https://goo.gl/maps/scCW6pwmNfP2eYtz9

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2021, 06:01:46 PM

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 24, 2021, 12:01:48 PM

It not similar, but it is "unique, odd and interesting".  If I am interpreting this correctly, the blades for Huff Street and H Street are a private installation and the "Exempt" sign indicates that the signpost is exempt from from San Bernardino city regulations.  If so, I have no idea why it would be necessary to indicate so.  It is also interesting that the "Exempt" sign appears to have been removed from an older signpost and placed on this one (presumably a newer version, perhaps a city-supplied one).

Indeed, the word "Exempt" has a specific meaning related to railroads in the MUCTD.  The fellow that hired me at the Chessie was chair of the MUTCD Railroad Working Group for a number of years, and I got a few related tasks when changing our standards.  Just not road signs.

achilles765

Well they just re did some exit signs here in Houston on IH 45. And now the exit for AIRLINE DRIVE. Says ARLINE DRIVE. so that's nice.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

JoePCool14

Quote from: achilles765 on April 25, 2021, 10:56:08 AM
Well they just re did some exit signs here in Houston on IH 45. And now the exit for AIRLINE DRIVE. Says ARLINE DRIVE. so that's nice.

Nice. And I bet TxDOT is still abusing the hell out of Clearview too.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

LilianaUwU

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 25, 2021, 02:00:24 PM
Quote from: achilles765 on April 25, 2021, 10:56:08 AM

Nice. And I bet TxDOT is still abusing the hell out of Clearview too.

From the pictures I've seen on the Sign Errors Facebook group, yeah, they're in Clearview.

edit: apparently they're already replacing it. I dunno, but I would've put an "Ai" patch over the "A" myself instead of replacing the whole sign.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: index on April 23, 2021, 03:59:35 AM
The weight limit on this bridge was changed to 0 tons after it was closed. I don't know why they'd even bother keeping the sign up if they're gonna close the bridge, let alone change it to 0 tons. Why make changes to a sign that's no longer needed?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4112599,-93.0699495,3a,15y,125.53h,89.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srEjHGWEQ85UKSnboHLJgyg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4107864,-93.0691329,3a,15y,319.05h,87.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqWr4RbbEU4EZRWE9fBCW8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In their defense, that bridge looks like it would collapse if a bird landed on it, so I can totally get 0 tons.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

thenetwork

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: Dirt Roads on April 24, 2021, 09:49:50 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 24, 2021, 12:01:48 PM

It not similar, but it is "unique, odd and interesting".  If I am interpreting this correctly, the blades for Huff Street and H Street are a private installation and the "Exempt" sign indicates that the signpost is exempt from from San Bernardino city regulations.  If so, I have no idea why it would be necessary to indicate so.  It is also interesting that the "Exempt" sign appears to have been removed from an older signpost and placed on this one (presumably a newer version, perhaps a city-supplied one).

Indeed, the word "Exempt" has a specific meaning related to railroads in the MUCTD.  The fellow that hired me at the Chessie was chair of the MUTCD Railroad Working Group for a number of years, and I got a few related tasks when changing our standards.  Just not road signs.

It's similar in that it is also related to a railroad crossing. There is an old track bed a few hundred feet east, the tracks of which were torn out a number of years ago; the EXEMPT almost certainly refers to that. The blades are standard city street signs.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/X5JfNDZE6iukf3sJ9

The 8Aguide has the street name last but 8B puts it first.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2021, 12:01:31 AM

Stuff like this might be why the MUTCD doesn't want street and place names together on a BGS.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 27, 2021, 01:37:22 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2021, 12:01:31 AM

I agree.  It should be just Prospect Avenue.  Signing West Orange does not make sense when NB CR 577 goes there as well.  Plus the business district of West Orange is via another interchange on I-280 2 miles east.  Why say that only SB CR 577 serves West Orange when you have NB CR 577 that does too.  In fact Pleasant Valley Way and Laurel Avenue also serve West Orange as well which are previous exits from I-280 EB.   They serve residential areas just as primarily CR 577 does as Downtown is on Northfield Avenue and Main Street from Exit 9 (Exit 10 W Bound).

Stuff like this might be why the MUTCD doesn't want street and place names together on a BGS.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

It makes me want to take a ground-rod driver to the post on the left.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 11:39:37 AM
It makes me want to take a ground-rod driver to the post on the left.

I think that is the situation. The post is coming up out of the ground on the left.

However this one just ahead of it is also problematic.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2021, 11:36:52 AM
This one leans too much.

The sign with the yellow legend is interesting. I feel like there should be a practical use for doing that because it seems useful. Maybe instead of writing TOLL in a black-on-yellow box, we just write it in yellow-on-green instead.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

wanderer2575

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 28, 2021, 11:50:06 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2021, 11:36:52 AM
This one leans too much.

The sign with the yellow legend is interesting. I feel like there should be a practical use for doing that because it seems useful. Maybe instead of writing TOLL in a black-on-yellow box, we just write it in yellow-on-green instead.

Is yellow-on-green specified in the MUTCD for county route shields on guide signs?  There are some instances of that use in Michigan, for example (I've posted these photos on other threads):

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.