Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://flic.kr/p/2kVrg7r
This one says 1 mile to Blue Heron but the sequential mileage sign across the way says otherwise.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

interstatefan990

Quote from: roadman65 on April 28, 2021, 09:17:30 PM
https://flic.kr/p/2kVrg7r
This one says 1 mile to Blue Heron but the sequential mileage sign across the way says otherwise.

Maybe one is referring to the actual exit and the other is referring to the boulevard itself?
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

ErmineNotyours

Speed checked by radar and other electrical devices.  Not "electric" or "electronic," but "electrical."  If the officers are caught timing the car between landmarks with a windup stopwatch, you have a case for the judge.

thenetwork

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 28, 2021, 09:53:52 PM
Speed checked by radar and other electrical devices.  Not "electric" or "electronic," but "electrical."  If the officers are caught timing the car between landmarks with a windup stopwatch, you have a case for the judge.

Our George Foreman Grill indicated you were 15 MPH over the legal limit.

hbelkins

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on April 28, 2021, 09:53:52 PM

OK, is that before or after the obligatory "Radar Detectors Illegal" sign?

I'm always amused by city-installed signs that say "Speed Controlled by Radar."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 29, 2021, 05:33:07 PM

Mexico has signs that say "radar in operation".  You know, like they limit it to only certain areas or something.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Which I've found odd, because it doesn't "control" one's vehicle speed. Cruise Control is the closest thing to controlling speed, and that's mostly user-operated.

The technology obviously isn't there yet, mostly because there's no standard and legacy machinery will be around for a good long while.

interstatefan990

Quote from: formulanone on April 30, 2021, 05:43:29 AM

Which I've found odd, because it doesn't "control" one's vehicle speed. Cruise Control is the closest thing to controlling speed, and that's mostly user-operated.

That's standard cruise control. Millions of cars today have adaptive cruise control, the one that automatically accelerates or brakes to keep a set distance from the car in front of you. And ACC does in fact use radar (with the exception of Subaru's, which only uses two cameras), so you could actually say that for a lot of vehicles, their speed IS controlled by radar.

kphoger

Heck, following that line of reasoning, traffic control devices don't control traffic either.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2021, 11:00:52 AM
Heck, following that line of reasoning, traffic control devices don't control traffic either.

They don't fully, but they're still devices intended to control traffic.  That means the moniker "traffic control device" is accurate.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 30, 2021, 11:03:45 AM

They don't fully, but they're still devices intended to control traffic.  That means the moniker "traffic control device" is accurate.

Likewise, the use of radar is intended to keep the speed of traffic under control.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2021, 11:07:46 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 30, 2021, 11:03:45 AM

Likewise, the use of radar is intended to keep the speed of traffic under control.

I think the difference here is directly controlling traffic vs. indirectly controlling traffic. A traffic control device doesn't directly affect what traffic does, but its presence alone conveys the threat of legal consequences and/or a crash, which indirectly controls traffic through driver compliance.

kphoger

The presence of cops running radar conveys the threat of legal consequences, which indirectly controls traffic through driver compliance
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2021, 11:58:31 AM
The presence of cops running radar conveys the threat of legal consequences, which indirectly controls traffic through driver compliance

Correct! You get an A+.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 30, 2021, 12:04:21 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 30, 2021, 11:58:31 AM

Correct! You get an A+.

But I wanted a blue star.
Male pronouns, please.

roadfro

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 28, 2021, 12:55:41 PM
Is yellow-on-green specified in the MUTCD for county route shields on guide signs?

No, it is not. Likely because the color contrast isn't as good.

The only place where yellow text is a standard are the yellow-on-blue direction/junction/auxiliary/etc. placards for post-mounted county route shield assemblies.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Quote from: roadfro on May 01, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 28, 2021, 12:55:41 PM
Is yellow-on-green specified in the MUTCD for county route shields on guide signs?

No, it is not. Likely because the color contrast isn't as good.

It can't be too awful, considering Britain uses that color scheme for A road markers. I imagine it's just a case of the MUTCD not seeing any semantic value in specifying yellow text in this situation, so it just doesn't.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ClassicHasClass

QuoteTo be honest, probably the most fear-inducing experience you can have as a driver is being tailgated by a cop.

Oh, with my out of state California plates, I guarantee he was trying to get me to speed up. I didn't before he got another target, though, so that worked out.

wanderer2575

I guess this is to appease drivers wondering why three of four lanes are closed with apparently no work happening.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

tolbs17

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2021, 06:00:40 PMIt can't be too awful, considering Britain uses that color scheme for A road markers. I imagine it's just a case of the MUTCD not seeing any semantic value in specifying yellow text in this situation, so it just doesn't.

It's worth noting that the green background used in Britain (specified in BS 381C and described as "middle Brunswick green" in official documents, or informally as "Worboys green") is significantly darker than the federal green used in the US.

Quote from: US 89 on May 01, 2021, 12:17:35 PMTo be honest, probably the most fear-inducing experience you can have as a driver is being tailgated by a cop.

Many rural jurisdictions seem to single out-of-state drivers for special attention even if they don't ticket them.  One of the attendees at the Denver meet in 2015 came from one of the northern frontier-tier states and reported being pulled over on US 34 near Wray, which is the seat of Yuma County in far eastern Colorado.  Sure enough, I was touring the Arikaree Breaks that autumn along a counterclockwise loop that started in Cheyenne County just over the Kansas line, and as soon as I got within three miles of Wray on US 34, a Yuma County sheriff's cruiser headed in the opposite direction U-turned behind me and followed me all the way into town.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Odd to post a I-80 west shield here. https://goo.gl/maps/qdtHpHWHa6M8sZA9A
Being the road ahead connects only with EB I-80.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.