News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ari-s-drives

click image to show on Google Maps

This sign itself is not that unusual but in this case, it's for a ramp that does a 180º turn underneath the freeway rather than a cloverleaf loop ramp.

location as shown on the GSV inset map

Occidental Tourist

The western approach to the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro, CA has a similar setup for westbound traffic exiting onto Harbor Blvd.

odditude

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2021, 06:24:56 PM
Saw this earlier today at the Publix at the corner of Sheridan Street and SW 196th Avenue in Southwest Ranches, Florida. This crosswalk makes no sense.

no no, you see, it's so the firefighters can safely get to the hydrant from the engine truck parked in the fire lane...

ErmineNotyours

Not yet updated on Google Street View, Fort Madison, IA has horizontal windmill devices on top of signs that turn in the wind and flash orange and white.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2021, 06:24:56 PM
Saw this earlier today at the Publix at the corner of Sheridan Street and SW 196th Avenue in Southwest Ranches, Florida. This crosswalk makes no sense.

This type of crosswalk stupidity is so common in strip mall parking lots and it always just makes me roll my eyes. That and spamming stop signs to get people to "slow down".

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 02, 2021, 10:14:12 AM
This type of crosswalk stupidity is so common in strip mall parking lots and it always just makes me roll my eyes. That and spamming stop signs to get people to "slow down".

I am petty and ignore any strip mall traffic control device that doesn't comply with the MUTCD.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2021, 10:55:59 AM

I am petty and ignore any strip mall traffic control device that doesn't comply with the MUTCD.

One-way signs?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on June 03, 2021, 10:57:54 AM

One-way signs?

I have never seen a strip mall parking lot that uses them instead of just painting arrows on the ground.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

I ignore them even if they comply with MUTCD.  I'm in a glorified driveway, what do I care about signs and arrows?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 11:51:45 AM

I ignore them even if they comply with MUTCD.  I'm in a glorified driveway, what do I care about signs and arrows?

Well, hit a pedestrian or other car while ignoring a stop sign may cause you some trouble.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 03, 2021, 11:54:13 AM

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2021, 11:51:45 AM

Well, hit a pedestrian or other car while ignoring a stop sign may cause you some trouble.

That's why I also don't hit pedestrians.

Also, hitting a pedestrian while not ignoring a stop sign may also cause you some trouble.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

HTM Duke

Quote from: plain on May 28, 2021, 11:16:09 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 27, 2021, 07:17:49 PM
You heard it here first, folks: No turn on red unless there's a green arrow.

St Louis Park, MN

I'm guessing it was installed to avoid confusion with a red orb being displayed simultaneous with a green arrow (an extremely common situation). But then I've seen such an obvious exception to "NTOR" signed before.

No Turn On Red Except On Green Arrow by Jake Root, on Flickr

In this case those signals should be regular 3-section right turn signals instead of towers.

EDIT: then the signs wouldn't be needed at all, at least the bottom one

Late reply, but I've found a very similar sign setup in Big Stone Gap, VA while browsing Streetview:
https://goo.gl/maps/9pvvK7K3Pz272L2SA
The only difference is the use of RIGHT TURN instead of EXCEPT.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

LilianaUwU

I was browsing H. B. Elkins' latest pictures on Flickr and found this weird sign:

IMG_7383 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

I'm curious as to what it means?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 04, 2021, 02:41:26 AM
I was browsing H. B. Elkins' latest pictures on Flickr and found this weird sign:

IMG_7383 by H.B. Elkins, on Flickr

It's a nickname for a very curvy but also very scenic stretch of KY 160 and VA 160 between Cumberland, KY and Appalachia, VA. It's very popular with bikers. This sign must've been installed before the enthusiasts realized they were using the incorrect shield.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LilianaUwU

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 04, 2021, 10:14:26 AM
(Dragon's Slayer shield)

It's a nickname for a very curvy but also very scenic stretch of KY 160 and VA 160 between Cumberland, KY and Appalachia, VA. It's very popular with bikers. This sign must've been installed before the enthusiasts realized they were using the incorrect shield.

It seems like quite a windy stretch of road indeed. Also, I guess they thought that since the route is multistate, it warranted a US shield?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 04, 2021, 10:20:19 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 04, 2021, 10:14:26 AM
(Dragon's Slayer shield)

It seems like quite a windy stretch of road indeed. Also, I guess they thought that since the route is multistate, it warranted a US shield?

I guess? Interestingly, the Facebook group and its website use proper KY shields now.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

That sign was posted on northbound Business US 23 within the corporate limits of Appalachia, a couple of miles prior to the VA 68/To VA 160 intersection.

I did not see any similar signage in Kentucky, but I traveled KY 160 only to the ramp to northbound US 119.

It's interesting how the term "dragon" makes its way into so many roads popular with motorcyclists. The Tail of the Dragon on US 129 seems to the the origin of all of it. You have The Back of the Dragon on VA 16 between Tazewell and Marion, and Dragon Slayer for the Black Mountain crossing on 160.

I only saw three bikes the day I was on the route. Two were parked at the wide spot/pseudo overlook on the Virginia side of the state line, and one other rode by as I as out stretching my legs and getting some pictures. Until Kentucky gets its side of the mountain patched, I doubt it will get a lot of bike activity.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TBKS1

I have no idea how old this sign is, but I feel like this could have been installed before the metal fence was put up. This is located on S Landers Road in North Little Rock adjacent to US 67/167. (taken on March 9th, 2021)
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

index

I saw this bizarrely worded sign today on Holloway Mtn Road in Foscoe, NC that I managed to catch on video.

"NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NOT FROM HERES" is a weird way to say "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR OUTSIDERS" or "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NON-LOCALS", NCDOT.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

jakeroot

"NOT FROM HERES" is the perhaps the worst English I have ever read on a road sign. I expect that on a hand-written cardboard sign stapled to a telegraph pole, not a retroreflective warning sign installed by a otherwise-competent authority.

Seriously, I am sitting here in my desk chair completely flabbergasted. No...it's definitely the worst English I've ever read on a road sign; it's basically one step above unintelligible gibberish, and that doesn't count as English, IMO. I don't see how it can get worse than that. How in the hell did it even get off the drawing board?

M3100

Here's a sign on eastbound California SR 18, on the way to Big Bear Lake in San Bernardino County. Not your everyday curve.

fillup420

Quote from: index on June 05, 2021, 06:26:32 PM
I saw this bizarrely worded sign today on Holloway Mtn Road in Foscoe, NC that I managed to catch on video.

"NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NOT FROM HERES" is a weird way to say "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR OUTSIDERS" or "NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NON-LOCALS", NCDOT.

That must be new. I used to drive up Holloway Mtn frequently to get to the parkway, and I don't ever recall seeing it

wanderer2575

I always thought this one at the TN/NC line was a little weird.  I understand the intent, but I think many people at first glance would read it as "no permitted trucks permitted" (or "no allowed trucks allowed").

renegade

Quote from: fillup420 on June 06, 2021, 09:26:58 AM
Quote from: index on June 05, 2021, 06:26:32 PM

That must be new. I used to drive up Holloway Mtn frequently to get to the parkway, and I don't ever recall seeing it
Looks more like a screen-grab from "The Dukes of Hazzard" or something similar.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.