Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 06, 2021, 10:37:29 AM
I always thought this one at the TN/NC line was a little weird.  I understand the intent, but I think many people at first glance would read it as "no permitted trucks permitted" (or "no allowed trucks allowed").

and the MUTCD no trucks sign (R5-2) is a sideways view of the truck.

index

Quote from: jakeroot on June 05, 2021, 10:48:24 PM
"NOT FROM HERES" is the perhaps the worst English I have ever read on a road sign. I expect that on a hand-written cardboard sign stapled to a telegraph pole, not a retroreflective warning sign installed by a otherwise-competent authority.

Seriously, I am sitting here in my desk chair completely flabbergasted. No...it's definitely the worst English I've ever read on a road sign; it's basically one step above unintelligible gibberish, and that doesn't count as English, IMO. I don't see how it can get worse than that. How in the hell did it even get off the drawing board?
I was more confused than anything. I slowed down passing the sign and my brain was trying to parse what the hell it even meant. Only after I went back and looked at the footage did I realize what it was talking about.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

tolbs17

Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 15, 2014, 12:17:21 PM
Quote from: jake on June 10, 2014, 03:31:13 AM
This is the first Clearview stop sign that I've ever seen:

It's located in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

Oh gosh, please don't let that spread to the US.

They have, I've seen them.

Now, for the best looking stop signs out there, I prefer Michigan's custom font.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.361655,-83.275274&spn=0.002259,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.361655,-83.275274&panoid=5HcemoS5yqYNmaa7eD7r2A&cbp=12,325.34,,2,-0.32

The "S" has the same curvature on both the top and bottom parts, unlike FHWA which is smaller on top.
Don't see it now.

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on June 07, 2021, 09:28:12 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on June 15, 2014, 12:17:21 PM
Quote from: jake on June 10, 2014, 03:31:13 AM
This is the first Clearview stop sign that I've ever seen:

It's located in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

Oh gosh, please don't let that spread to the US.

They have, I've seen them.

Now, for the best looking stop signs out there, I prefer Michigan's custom font.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.361655,-83.275274&spn=0.002259,0.005284&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=42.361655,-83.275274&panoid=5HcemoS5yqYNmaa7eD7r2A&cbp=12,325.34,,2,-0.32

The "S" has the same curvature on both the top and bottom parts, unlike FHWA which is smaller on top.

Don't see it now.

That comment was from 2014. If you go back in historic street view, you can see the older stop sign.

For the record, a lot of stop signs across BC are Clearview. That post was the first of many that I would go on to see. FHWA stop signs are still the most common though.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2021, 01:57:38 PM
Is this unique?

NO CUT THRU TRAFFIC
Seems just like an extra-wordy way of saying "No Thru Traffic". But adding that word probably makes it more clear who it's calling out.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 08, 2021, 01:57:38 PMIs this unique?

NO CUT THRU TRAFFIC

Not at this location--there is another on Perry, and I think it is the one that matters because the parking lot can otherwise be used to circumvent the barrier that blocks left turns and prevents traffic on Perry crossing 13th Street.

(We know this neighborhood well since we have family friends of long standing who used to live on the 1000 block of Perry.  When we came from the west to visit them, we would usually turn right on their street on the way out, but on the way back would work our way to North Riverside Boulevard so we could turn left on 13th at the light rather than risk a left turn at 13th and Perry, which was usually hairy not just because of heavy traffic and indifferent visibility on 13th, but also queues of cars on Perry on both sides of 13th waiting to turn left or go straight.  The current movement restrictions were imposed almost two years ago and were long overdue.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

csw

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 08, 2021, 05:15:04 PM
Here's a twofer from Rhode Island...

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0029995,-71.5134438,3a,28.7y,73.25h,83.95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNwSC_vjiotcEAD-p-y8LAA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Cardinal directions INSIDE a shield, and interesting construction sign.
Welcome to Woonsocket, where the rules are made up and the points don't matter.

thenetwork

jakeroot

^^^ the quote is broken

Quote from: thenetwork on June 09, 2021, 12:09:20 PM
Standard practice in Farmington, NM.

Took me a while but I did eventually find some examples: here, here, here, here, and here. I'm sure there are more.

I also found some more Clearview in negative contrast at this signal here and nearby here and this warning sign here.

In fact, looking around some areas of the city, it seems like nearly every sign is in Clearview. Another couple of examples here ('left turn yield on green'), here ('stop here on red') and here (a school speed limit sign).

But to top it off, they installed this at 30th and College Blvd:

Euro Keep Right Arrow in USA by Jake Root, on Flickr

Whoever is running the show in Farmington clearly doesn't give a damn about the MUTCD. Although the signal placement is excellent.

JoePCool14

I'd argue that European Keep Right sign deserves to be in the Best of Road Signs collection. It's so stupid that that ended up there but it is kind of awesome.

riiga

Bruce

A kayak crossing sign at Willard Wyatt Park on Lake Stevens:

Harvestman

Fair warning - this isn't a public road sign as it's on a school campus, but I figured someone might get a kick out of it.  Seen in Allen County, KY.

JoePCool14

stevashe

So normally the area around the UW football stadium in Seattle has these rather unique parking signs that use decals that are stuck on each year that list specific dates and times when parking is prohibited that coincide with that season's schedule for home Huskies football games: https://goo.gl/maps/EoLLePmAgkf7ctYn7

But a couple weeks ago while on a bike ride I noticed that this past year a special decal was applied that simply states "no sports or event parking restrictions until further notice", which a rather bittersweet anomaly.

hotdogPi

As written, they accidentally prohibited parking there entirely (except possibly for those with Zone 1 permits, which is ambiguous since it's the color of the top statement but the size of the middle statement). It says no parking. It then says there are no sports or event parking restrictions – but the sign itself isn't a sports or event parking restriction, as it simply says "no parking" the same way a no parking sign on a major road would be.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

J N Winkler

The sign is ambiguous.  If I do not have a Zone 1 permit and I park there, can I be ticketed?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

The sign definitely makes sense when there are times posted, but otherwise it is nonsensical and competes with the sign above it.

They need to either bag the signs until they reinstate restrictions, or take the sign down entirely.

hotdogPi

(these two photos are several miles apart and have nothing to do with each other)

Seriously, is anyone going to go only 5 MPH?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Saw a white on green Eisenhower Interstate Highway System sign at the SB Whitney Point rest area on I-81 in NY.

You can see a fuzzy picture of it on Google Street View:  https://goo.gl/maps/9pN42kB6xGUp9X2N6
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ClassicHasClass

QuoteSeriously, is anyone going to go only 5 MPH?

The same people who go 10kph in "shared zones" in Australia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.