News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on June 12, 2021, 01:25:26 PM
QuoteSeriously, is anyone going to go only 5 MPH?

The same people who go 10kph in "shared zones" in Australia.

Also, tourists enjoying the view in my hometown. (It sure feels like 5 mph, anyways.)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

D-Dey65

Dirt Roads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 12, 2021, 02:31:48 PM
When were the sign on the left, and the railroad crossing signal on the right eliminated from MUTCD?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Folkston_Funnell_railroad_signs.JPG

Both of those signs are before the MUTCD was first developed in 1935, but I suspect that the button copy "Stop on Red Signal" sign was a staple of the original versions.  It was long gone from the MUTCD when I first started in railway signalling back in 1985.  But I've worked on many crossings that still had them (until my grade crossing replacements were completed).

The signal head that is mounted with "Stop on Red Signal" sign is a kluge.  It certainly doesn't belong with the sign.  It is supposed to resemble a single-head railroad signal.  The shield proportions are correct, but I've never seen a rectangular version anywhere.  Also, the lens placement is not correct for railroad signals, as there is supposed to be a minimum distance between each lens (such that an improperly displayed signal with more than one lens illuminated can be detected by the train crew from a long distance).  Just guessing, but it looks to me as if someone grabbed a modern traffic signal and adapted a rectangular shield to make it kinda resemble a railroad signal.  (Worse, I'm pretty sure that CSX would have certainly donated an old authentic Atlantic Coast Line signal head and provided technical advice so that this display could have been more authentic).

Scott5114

When were the sign on the left, and the railroad crossing signal on the right eliminated from MUTCD?

The sign on the left is still in the MUTCD. It just looks like this now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on June 12, 2021, 11:08:03 AM
Saw a white on green Eisenhower Interstate Highway System sign at the SB Whitney Point rest area on I-81 in NY.

You can see a fuzzy picture of it on Google Street View:  https://goo.gl/maps/9pN42kB6xGUp9X2N6

I-590 used to have a blue one.  Looks like it was taken down when the reassurance shields and gore signs were replaced in 2019.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2021, 09:20:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on June 12, 2021, 11:08:03 AM
Saw a white on green Eisenhower Interstate Highway System sign at the SB Whitney Point rest area on I-81 in NY.

You can see a fuzzy picture of it on Google Street View:  https://goo.gl/maps/9pN42kB6xGUp9X2N6

I-590 used to have a blue one.  Looks like it was taken down when the reassurance shields and gore signs were replaced in 2019.
Right, but that's the one from the MUTCD.  They're all over the country.  Green is the wrong color.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2021, 07:36:59 PM

The sign on the left is still in the MUTCD. It just looks like this now.

Yes, but I've known about that one long before the old version.

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 12, 2021, 07:17:38 PM
The signal head that is mounted with "Stop on Red Signal" sign is a kluge.  It certainly doesn't belong with the sign.  It is supposed to resemble a single-head railroad signal.  The shield proportions are correct, but I've never seen a rectangular version anywhere.  Also, the lens placement is not correct for railroad signals, as there is supposed to be a minimum distance between each lens (such that an improperly displayed signal with more than one lens illuminated can be detected by the train crew from a long distance).  Just guessing, but it looks to me as if someone grabbed a modern traffic signal and adapted a rectangular shield to make it kinda resemble a railroad signal.  (Worse, I'm pretty sure that CSX would have certainly donated an old authentic Atlantic Coast Line signal head and provided technical advice so that this display could have been more authentic).

Zoom in on those lenses, though.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Folkston_Funnell_railroad_signs.JPG
If somebody did grab a modern signal and made it look like a railroad signal as you suggest, they did a very convincing job.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on June 12, 2021, 07:17:38 PM

Quote from: D-Dey65 on June 13, 2021, 09:00:17 AM
Zoom in on those lenses, though.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Folkston_Funnell_railroad_signs.JPG
If somebody did grab a modern signal and made it look like a railroad signal as you suggest, they did a very convincing job.

Never tried it, but railroad fresnel lenses should be interchangeable with traffic signal lenses.  They come in both 8-inch and 12-inch (and some other oddball sizes, as well).  Those guys look clear, but they are called "lunar white" and actually have a bluish tint.  That closeup does show several square and rectangular pieces screwed into the main signal backplate to widen the shield.  The closeup also reveals that the three signal hood fixtures are also authentic, so it's probably not constructed from a real traffic signal.   

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

A great attempt, but that diagrammatic is so small that it's hard to make out the lane lines.

Also kind of interesting that they're using the same gantry design KDOT used for the I-35/I-435 junction. KDOT, of course, is historically one of the heaviest users of diagrammatics.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ari-s-drives

Beverly Hills has some interesting Historic 66 signs on CA2.

Click image to view location on Google Maps street view.

jakeroot

Not a sign. Pavement markings.

I have seen sharks teeth applied along the edge of the roadway rather than perpendicular to the roadway at roundabouts (example in Sedro-Woolley, WA, variant in Puyallup, WA); not sure if this is permitted or not. I do personally like it, and wish it were more common. I know it's the standard in a few European countries.

Anyways, I actually found this method of application applied to a regular slip lane: 10 Fwy at Dillon Road, Coachella, CA. The standard look, as noted above, is for the sharks teeth to be perpendicular to the roadway, with at most white dashed lines along the roadway edge ('edge extension markings' IIRC). This basically combines the two into a single design.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jakeroot on June 17, 2021, 05:06:41 PM
Not a sign. Pavement markings.

I have seen sharks teeth applied along the edge of the roadway rather than perpendicular to the roadway at roundabouts (example in Sedro-Woolley, WA, variant in Puyallup, WA); not sure if this is permitted or not. I do personally like it, and wish it were more common. I know it's the standard in a few European countries.

Anyways, I actually found this method of application applied to a regular slip lane: 10 Fwy at Dillon Road, Coachella, CA. The standard look, as noted above, is for the sharks teeth to be perpendicular to the roadway, with at most white dashed lines along the roadway edge ('edge extension markings' IIRC). This basically combines the two into a single design.

I've been seeing some perpendicular "sharks teeth" turned the other way (sharp edge towards the traffic lane) being used here in North Carolina as a faux traffic calming measure.  I have no memory when or where, but it hasn't been that long ago (and we haven't travelled much recently).  I suspect its being used in some of the newer subdivision areas around Durham or Chapel Hill.

Big John

ethanhopkin14

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

wanderer2575

This year:  "Ramp Closed St" from northbound I-75 in Detroit.

Also note the temporary exit number plaquette.  That's been there for years and has started peeling.  I don't know what that's about.

Also also note the "Rumble Strips / Attention Motorcyclists" sign just beyond.

Harvestman

Spotted this on US 23 south of Ashland, KY today.  The "open/closed" sign is posted before anything else referencing a weigh station...whether that's due to a missing sign or something, I don't know.

index

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

hbelkins

Quote from: Harvestman on June 20, 2021, 12:16:19 AM
Spotted this on US 23 south of Ashland, KY today.  The "open/closed" sign is posted before anything else referencing a weigh station...whether that's due to a missing sign or something, I don't know.

Pretty sure there were signs posted prior to the weigh station on 23, which is at the Johnson/Floyd county line. They probably got knocked down and haven't been put back up yet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

I saw this last year but forgot about it until writing up a blog post just now. From SR 74 entering Alpine, Utah:

Welcome to Alpine... where we C⏱️MMIT to the speed LIMIT Because Alpine C❤️RES.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.