News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Signal

renegade

Quote from: Central Avenue on December 06, 2013, 11:09:25 AM

We certainly could use something like that here in southeast Michigan.  It seems like they are slapping up sensor-activated traffic signals anyplace they want, and most of them do not work.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

english si

Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2013, 11:06:07 AM
No, it's on a motorway. There's an overpass where they cross.
Yes and it appears on the sign as very thin gaps in the line.

It's a semi-directional T

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: english si on December 05, 2013, 09:38:25 PM
Bunny ears showing that you need to move left to turn right...

I think it's amusing that the corner of the sign appears to be buried in the embankment...

Also, what's with the thick boxes?  Are those parts changeable or something?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

english si

Quote from: vtk on December 07, 2013, 01:21:22 PMAlso, what's with the thick boxes?  Are those parts changeable or something?
Yes, the M6 route can be either way around Birmingham - slightly shorter via the east and north sides but slightly quieter via the south and west sides. I believe the M42 West direction says '(M6 North)' though I've not seen it. I doubt it now changes, due to the M6 Toll and the attempt to get you to travel around Birmingham on that road.

US71

vtk

Looks like someone designed a decent 70 spec wide shield, then realized they didn't have a wide piece of sheet metal to put it on...

Thing 342

Near Winchester, VA:

Good: Cutout shields.
Bad: 81 is off-center (almost as if a state-named shield had the state name covered up), and the 'To' is missing.
Ugly: The insanely squished (and almost unreadable) directional banners.

US71

Billy F 1988

Wah! Uber-shit-stain-ugly! I mean, if you thought the "US 200" sign at the Wye in Missoula was a pile of fail, heh! This tops the cake!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Zeffy

Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2013, 07:07:16 PM

US 56 near Kansas City, MO

Ewwwwwwwwwwww. How exactly does this end up happening? I mean, don't you think whoever is putting the assembly up would look at it and go, "Wait a minute, something isn't right here..."?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

txstateends

Quote from: US71 on December 08, 2013, 07:07:16 PM

US 56 near Kansas City, MO

While we're all running for our stomach meds, *please* say this is just short-sightedness on a local city's part, and not utter-mega-holy-crap-stupidity from a DOT (MO or KS).....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

http://goo.gl/maps/Mn4sI

How the I-4 shield on the WB sign got to be 50% larger than the EB shield is a complete mystery, and so is the arrow on the EB sign that looks to be much smaller than the pullthrough arrows.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

mass_citizen

theline

vtk

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: NE2 on December 09, 2013, 02:18:59 PM
I think Kansas City maintains US 56 in Missouri.
The U.S. 56 shields where it intersects (and ends at) U.S. 71 are normal, MoDOT issue. The ugly ones are all along the remainder of the route in KCMO, and I believe NE2 is correct that it's city signage.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

mass_citizen

sammi

Will I find a sign like this in the States? (EDIT: Source)

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.