News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ And the sign for the left arrow should be left of the sign for the through arrow.

Ian

Quote from: Big John on July 09, 2014, 12:51:52 PM
^^ And the sign for the left arrow should be left of the sign for the through arrow.

The perfectionist in me saw that as well. There is another one set up similar to this on the other side of the service station.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jbnv

Quote from: Ian on July 08, 2014, 10:05:34 PM
There's definitely enough room for "Parkway" to be spelled out at the bottom.

Looks like the "B" and "P" are aligned intentionally. That wouldn't happen (or would be quite ugly) if "Parkway" were spelled out.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Ian

Quote from: jbnv on July 09, 2014, 03:32:21 PM

Looks like the "B" and "P" are aligned intentionally. That wouldn't happen (or would be quite ugly) if "Parkway" were spelled out.

I'd honestly rather it be spelled out and misaligned than to have to read "Belt Pickwee" in my head, but that's just me.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Quote from: Ian on July 09, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Quote from: jbnv on July 09, 2014, 03:32:21 PM

I'd honestly rather it be spelled out and misaligned than to have to read "Belt Pickwee" in my head, but that's just me.

So these would make you say "Expee"?

Or how about "Rit"?

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Ian

^ In my head, yes, but it looks like there isn't a whole lot of room on those signs to spell out the entire word. In the shields (that's another thing, my photo has actual shields) in my photo, there's more than enough room for it to be spelled out.
Youtube l Flickr

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on July 09, 2014, 04:23:42 PM

Heh. When my brother, our cousins, and I were kids, we'd ride with our grandfather from Bay Ridge to Breezy Point each day during the summer and our grandfather got us started reading the road signs on the Belt Parkway exactly as they appeared–hence, "Ocean Pickway," "Coney Is Av," "K-napp St," "Shell Rid," etc. We then started doing that Every. Single. Time we were on the Belt Parkway for the next several years (all of us screaming them out in unison). I'm sure our parents wanted to kill us and our grandfather!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on July 09, 2014, 04:23:42 PM

for the longest time - before I lived there - I had no idea what a very common SoCal abbreviation meant.  I pronounced it the same as "sin".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jakeroot

Saw this yesterday in Seattle. Must be like an early version of an FYA:

Everything you see has since been replaced by a new set of signs and signals, but the "stop on red" concept still continues. Why not just use an FYA like the rest of the country?

route56

Quote from: jake on July 10, 2014, 06:57:54 PM

Everything you see has since been replaced by a new set of signs and signals, but the "stop on red" concept still continues. Why not just use an FYA like the rest of the country?

Actually, that sounds like a place where the flashing red arrow would be appropriate.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

jakeroot

Quote from: route56 on July 10, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
Quote from: jake on July 10, 2014, 06:57:54 PM

Actually, that sounds like a place where the flashing red arrow would be appropriate.

Such heresy would never be committed in Washington.

mefailenglish

If you can read "Willard Smith Rd" you are a better person than I.

jakeroot

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2014, 09:13:20 PM
for the longest time - before I lived there - I had no idea what a very common SoCal abbreviation meant.  I pronounced it the same as "sin".

That would be Cyn, for Canyon. And it took me about six months to realize it wasn't some geographic term that I had just never heard of before. Thought it was something like a glen, to be honest.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

formulanone

Quote from: mefailenglish on July 12, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

Especially at 65 mph on Southern Boulevard.

wxfree

Somervell County (Texas) Road 2012 has a short stretch going down a slope on a submaturely dissected plateau.  I'm a flatlander, but I've been up and down a few hills.  This incline isn't very long, but I call it "Oh Shit Hill," which isn't in my everyday vocabulary.  I don't know how steep it is, but going down is scary.  On the way up, there's a sign, W7-1, showing a truck going down an incline, turned 90 degrees to show the truck climbing an extremely steep hill.  I don't have a photo, but I rotated an image I found online.

That sign's about right for the way that hill feels.

Edit: Maybe that's why they numbered it 2012, with the end-of-the world beliefs.  The way down feels like driving off the end of the earth, especially around the blind curve.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

jakeroot

One last Seatac Airport sign...warning sign with the lane guides??

national highway 1

Quote from: mefailenglish on July 12, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

Is that road named after the actor Will Smith? (whose full name is Willard)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

wisvishr0

I found this interesting sign in Spring TX. The signals are all horizontal here (which is itself pretty scary for a Marylander), and then I came across this sign:

The standard in Texas is (usually) the same in the rest of the country: warning signs for traffic lights are vertical. It seems that this specific person who put up this sign hasn't been out of the state, and decided to change the standard to how he thought it was supposed to be. Growing up in Texas, you'd think all traffic signals were horizontal. I guess there is no reason for it to be vertical there, but according to the Texas MUTCD, that's the only way.

Scott5114

It really makes more sense for the sign to match the actual signal.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MillTheRoadgeek

At the intersection of Manassas Drive and Euclid Avenue in Manassas Park, the turning lane directions are on a mast arm prior to the actual signals, which are actually on a spanwire (Funny, huh?).

jakeroot

How common is it for BGSs to display "Either Lane"? Perhaps I've just never noticed it before. It seems to me like a lazy replacement for two arrows.

Valley Mall Blvd @ I-82, Yakima, WA

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.