News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: fwydriver405 on March 24, 2021, 04:31:25 PM
Is NHDOT utilising part-time AET at all of its toll facilities during the night period (9pm-5 or 6am) currently? I've noticed the following since mid-February 2021:

- On my trips within the past two weeks coming from Boston back to Maine at like 9 PM, at the Hampton Toll Plaza, the only toll booth lane open was an "E-ZPass Only" lane... not a single cash lane in either direction. I don't know if this also applied to the toll plaza at the I-95/NH101 interchange.

- Though not the same thing, on my trips from Nashua and heading north via the Everett Turnpike, also around the 8-9 PM hour, usually, Exit 10 only has the coin basket (exact change) and "E-ZPass Only" lanes open during the night period... I'm not positive on this but at one instance I only saw the E-ZPass lanes open on that toll booth.

I'm not sure if this "part-time" AET is also in effect at the Bedford, Hooksett, Dover or Rochester Toll Plazas. Wonder if it's due to a staffing shortage (or no night workers/COVID policy) or a pilot project...

Got an update on this. You were definitely onto something here.

Per NHDOT Facebook page...

NHDOT is making a change to cash collection hours to match staffing to current traffic volumes.
Read more about these changes here: https://www.dot.nh.gov/news-and-media/nhdot-announces-changes-toll-collection-hours?fbclid=IwAR0kRtx4W0BPpV7zlTYqi65dDjl9Z8FclxPg1a1w-HmfmHObI6MKt890wkk

NHDOT Announces Changes to Toll Collection Hours
Hours Shift in Response to Traffic Volumes

The New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT) has been monitoring traffic volumes since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic and announces the following change to our toll collection operations, which we expect to continue for the foreseeable future:

Beginning on Friday, April, 9th at 6:00 AM the Toll Plaza Cash Lanes will be staffed from 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM only.

Between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM, customers will be able to pay the toll fare by cash in an attended cash lane, or by E-ZPass in a dedicated E-ZPass lane.

During the overnight hours of 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, Toll Plazas will operate as All Electronic Tolling (AET). There will be no cash collection during these hours. To avoid receiving an invoice, customers can use the "7-Day to Pay" option through the website www.ezpassnh.com/postpay-trip or contact Customer Service Center as listed below.

Customers with any questions regarding E-ZPass transactions or invoices may contact the E-ZPass Call Center at Toll Free Number: (877) 643-9727 Monday through Friday — 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM and Saturday — 8:00 AM — 4:00 PM.

Invoices can also be paid in-person at the E-ZPass Walk-In Centers (WIC) located in Concord and Portsmouth. These locations are open Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Address information can be found at www.ezpassnh.com/page/service-center-locations.

Customers can also open up a New Hampshire E-ZPass account and received a 30% discount for passenger vehicles on each transaction. Sign up for an E-ZPass account online at www.ezpassnh.com, by calling (877) 643-9727 or at one of the NH E-ZPass Walk in Centers.

Signs will be hung on the toll booths to notify motorists of these changes. Additionally, we will be distributing postcards to our customers outlining our new hours. We understand that changes in any process can be frustrating, we ask you to be patient with our toll attendants, and to please drive with courtesy, that's the New Hampshire Way.

SectorZ

It looks like New Hampshire has some firm plans for the replacement of the Neil R Underwood Bridge between Seabrook and Hampton (NH 1A)

https://www.nh.gov/dot/projects/seabrookhampton15904/

It appears the preferred alternative is a fixed structure, which can be built next to the existing drawbridge negating the need for a temporary bridge or years long closure of 1A. This also is the cheapest and fastest solution per the presentation in the link.

roadman

Quote from: fwydriver405 on March 01, 2021, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 28, 2021, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: mass_citizen on February 28, 2021, 02:33:43 AM
And in the rare case of a gap in sequence, large warning signs are already used to state that there is "No Exit XX".
Those signs are only used in MA and RI - so once those states finish converting, they'll be used nowhere.  The Northway had "exit 3 to be built" signs at one time, but those were eventually removed.  And they're not uniform in MA, either (see: the Big Dig).

Actually, some of those "Next Exit XX" signs were reused as part of MA's exit renumbering scheme.

Route 3: 1, 2

This blank "Next Exit" sign on 195

All "NEXT EXIT XX" signs are slated to be eventually removed under MassDOT's conversion project.  Not sure why the ones you mention are still in plaCE.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on March 27, 2021, 09:59:06 AM
Quote from: fwydriver405 on March 01, 2021, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 28, 2021, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: mass_citizen on February 28, 2021, 02:33:43 AM
And in the rare case of a gap in sequence, large warning signs are already used to state that there is "No Exit XX".
Those signs are only used in MA and RI - so once those states finish converting, they'll be used nowhere.  The Northway had "exit 3 to be built" signs at one time, but those were eventually removed.  And they're not uniform in MA, either (see: the Big Dig).

Actually, some of those "Next Exit XX" signs were reused as part of MA's exit renumbering scheme.

Route 3: 1, 2

This blank "Next Exit" sign on 195

All "NEXT EXIT XX" signs are slated to be eventually removed under MassDOT's conversion project.  Not sure why the ones you mention are still in place.
I understand that there is no need to keep the 'No Exit ##' signs after exit number conversion, but wouldn't there still be a benefit to keeping 'Next Exit ##' signs where that exit number does exist going in the opposite direction, as is the case in the examples above?

The Ghostbuster

Maybe if New Hampshire does not wish to convert its exits from sequential-to-mileage-based (no thanks to Governor Sununu), they could install milepoint signs like Vermont did last year.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 29, 2021, 09:41:24 PM
Maybe if New Hampshire does not wish to convert its exits from sequential-to-mileage-based (no thanks to Governor Sununu), they could install milepoint signs like Vermont did last year.

Please don't give them any ideas.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

The Ghostbuster

Maybe you're right. On the other hand, New Hampshire should get with the program and ditch their sequential exit numbers for mileage-based ones. No more excuses.

froggie

It's worth noting that FHWA signed off on Vermont's Milepost Exit sign plan.  It isn't perfect, but perhaps it's a way for both sides (pro-milepost and pro-sequential) to get something out of it.

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on April 01, 2021, 12:43:43 PM
It's worth noting that FHWA signed off on Vermont's Milepost Exit sign plan.  It isn't perfect, but perhaps it's a way for both sides (pro-milepost and pro-sequential) to get something out of it.

I wish they hadn't.  VT needs to do a proper conversion.  I think I remember reading that such is supposed to happen in 2030, but I'm skeptical it actually will.

I wonder if this would be a good compromise for road like the Thruway or NJ Turnpike, though.  Have the regular number and a plaque on the bottom with "Thruway exit X"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SectorZ

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2021, 12:58:30 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 01, 2021, 12:43:43 PM

I wish they hadn't.  VT needs to do a proper conversion.  I think I remember reading that such is supposed to happen in 2030, but I'm skeptical it actually will.

I wonder if this would be a good compromise for road like the Thruway or NJ Turnpike, though.  Have the regular number and a plaque on the bottom with "Thruway exit X"?

If they're going to do it when they replace the signs the next time around, I'm OK with it. I just think they'll find a new excuse to not do it once that time comes.

fwydriver405

I posted this in the OLD and NEW thread earlier today, thought it was interesting to share how Exit 1 on I-93 northbound has evolved from the early (or mid) 2000's to now during the widening. Which sign assembly is your favourite?

QuoteExit 1 at the gore (first two photos, pre-2005 and 2009 are from NHDOT, third (2013) from Robert H. Malme, and fourth (2020) from me)

Alps

Quote from: fwydriver405 on April 29, 2021, 07:18:42 PM
I posted this in the OLD and NEW thread earlier today, thought it was interesting to share how Exit 1 on I-93 northbound has evolved from the early (or mid) 2000's to now during the widening. Which sign assembly is your favourite?

QuoteExit 1 at the gore (first two photos, pre-2005 and 2009 are from NHDOT, third (2013) from Robert H. Malme, and fourth (2020) from me)

anyone who doesn't answer #1 is banned

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 29, 2021, 09:41:24 PM
The reason he doesn't is that he was an exit 3 kid in Salem, whatever that means.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

yakra

* yakra scratches his head
What was my old exit number again?
Here east of the border, the world has not ended.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: yakra on May 02, 2021, 08:50:41 AM
I took no pride in being an exit 19 kid.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

DRMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 02, 2021, 02:38:57 PM
I'm not sure anyone in NH besides Sununu takes pride in being an Exit anything kid.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: DRMan on May 03, 2021, 12:03:44 PM
I'm not sure anyone in NH besides Sununu takes pride in being an Exit anything kid.

It's also a Vermont thing.  One of my distant relatives had a license plate with his exit number (EXIT X) because he owned a gas station that was off that exit and used the exit number as the name of the business. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

I've known plenty of people that grew up in NH and none cared about the exit number they grew up off of. It sounds more like pushing fake nostalgia to maintain the status quo.

Alps

Quote from: SectorZ on May 03, 2021, 05:01:49 PM

I've known plenty of people that grew up in NH and none cared about the exit number they grew up off of. It sounds more like pushing fake nostalgia to maintain the status quo.
I generally only hear "EXIT X" in the context of NJ Tpk. and Garden State Pkwy. I haven't seen that same attachment elsewhere, maybe a couple of exits on MassPike or NY Thruway but not the whole road.

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2021, 06:01:42 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 03, 2021, 05:01:49 PM

I generally only hear "EXIT X" in the context of NJ Tpk. and Garden State Pkwy. I haven't seen that same attachment elsewhere, maybe a couple of exits on MassPike or NY Thruway but not the whole road.
The Northway gets that treatment as well.  Lots of locals in the Capital District refer to the exits.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2021, 06:01:42 PMI generally only hear "EXIT X" in the context of NJ Tpk. and Garden State Pkwy. I haven't seen that same attachment elsewhere, maybe a couple of exits on MassPike or NY Thruway but not the whole road.
Not sure about today but back when the CT Turnpike still had tolls; What Exit are you from? was a common phrase for that region as well.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

shadyjay

Quote from: roadman on August 26, 2020, 10:18:22 AM
The last Alan Shephard sign I recall seeing was on the ramp from 102 west to I-93 south in Londonderry.  It had been removed by the time I last used that ramp about two months ago.

Looks like we can expect to see more Alan Shepard Highway signs...

https://twitter.com/SenatorShaheen/status/1436423137927868416/photo/1

(no account required to view)

deathtopumpkins

One went up on the southbound onramp at Exit 3 a few weeks ago. I was very surprised to see it until Friday's rededication.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kramie13

Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 08:05:36 PM

Was a new overpass built between 2009 and 2013?  And what was its purpose?

hotdogPi

Quote from: kramie13 on September 16, 2021, 06:56:55 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 29, 2021, 08:05:36 PM

Was a new overpass built between 2009 and 2013?  And what was its purpose?

It's part of the entrance/exit ramp. This exit leads to a very high-use mall, since there's no sales tax on the New Hampshire side of the border.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.