News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Worst state highway system

Started by Revive 755, January 23, 2009, 10:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

I am not so sure that motorists don't care about who maintains a stretch of road...as many a DOT recpetionist will tell you when a stretch of road is not properly maintained.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Responding to Quillz regarding Oregon.  A lot of times the only indication you are passing by a highway maintained by ODOT is the presence of a well made sign with control cities on it.  I think it's still kind of strange Oregon has hung onto legislative highway numbers instead of just designating them as what they are field signed.

LilianaUwU

I'm gonna say that I don't like state networks where roads are often in multiple segments due to mileage caps. If a road has to be split, all segments should have a different number unless they're planned to be (re)connected.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 14, 2021, 10:08:04 AM
I'm gonna say that I don't like state networks where roads are often in multiple segments due to mileage caps. If a road has to be split, all segments should have a different number unless they're planned to be (re)connected.

Don't know whether or not you were specifically referencing Indiana, but to clear up one of the most common misconceptions on this board, Indiana is not up against its mileage cap and routes have been split with portions turned over to local control for financial reasons, not cap reasons.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

But Indiana still has multiple segments of road with the same number that don't really connect. IN 101 is the one that comes rapidly to mind.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2021, 10:55:23 AM
But Indiana still has multiple segments of road with the same number that don't really connect. IN 101 is the one that comes rapidly to mind.

That's true, but that was done because of the grid numbering system and not because of a mileage cap.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Quillz

Quote from: Rothman on September 14, 2021, 07:14:48 AM
I am not so sure that motorists don't care about who maintains a stretch of road...as many a DOT recpetionist will tell you when a stretch of road is not properly maintained.
I think navigation is first and foremost the most important thing. I have seen plenty of "END STATE MAINTENANCE" signs that indicate when the stretch of road you are on is maintained by someone else. I've no issue with signs like that, and should be used accordingly. But I've been with quite a few drivers who actually have lost track of the highway they were following due to lack of signage due to some technicality (maintained by a county, city, etc.) Obviously in the era of GPS this is becoming less of an issue, but it does still persist.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.