News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2021, 04:42:51 PM
Sometimes, music becomes an acquired taste. I could not stand Led Zeppelin when I was in high school. Ditto for Queen. (Yeah, I know, two of the most classic rock bands of the 70s.). I finally acquiesced to Zep when I was a senior in high school, and Queen a couple of years later.

Ditto for individual songs. I liked Dokken, but wasn't really a fan of their "Breaking the Chains" song until a band made up of friends of mine played it.

But I don't think I will ever come around to liking "The Crunge."

Now, where's that confounded bridge?
Dave Matthews Band reference the bridge when performing live.

kphoger

"Bridge" is actually the origin of title of the song Badge by Cream.

George Harrison and Eric Clapton were sitting across the table from each other, and George Harrison had written "bridge" next to the bridge section of the song.  Reading it upside-down, Eric Clapton misread the word as "badge".  The song didn't have a name yet at that point, and that's the name it ended up with.  [reference]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 05:05:07 PM

George Harrison and Eric Clapton were sitting across the table from each other, and George Harrison had written "bridge" next to the bridge section of the song.  Reading it upside-down, Eric Clapton misread the word as "badge".  The song didn't have a name yet at that point, and that's the name it ended up with.  [reference]

Probably my favorite Cream song.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2021, 09:03:56 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 12, 2021, 11:46:44 PM
I also hate Thin Lizzy with a passion.

They weren't a great album band -- I thought their albums contained a lot of filler -- but they have a lot of good tunes. The exception to the album rule is "Jailbreak." Every song on that set was good.

Thunder and Lightning is all killer no filler in my opinion.

TheHighwayMan3561

Filler was a problem on a lot of ELP albums, which often had one epic track ("Trilogy", "Karn Evil"), one great Lake ballad ("From the Beginning", "Still... You Turn Me On"), and a bunch of crap.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

:bigass:
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 12, 2021, 11:45:48 PM
I'll give my least favorite song by my favorite band. The Beatles and the song is Wild Honey Pie. All it is is about a minute of Paul singing wild honey pie over and over. The song makes no sense.

You never heard Revolution Nine then. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on June 15, 2021, 09:56:17 PM
:bigass:
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 12, 2021, 11:45:48 PM
I'll give my least favorite song by my favorite band. The Beatles and the song is Wild Honey Pie. All it is is about a minute of Paul singing wild honey pie over and over. The song makes no sense.

You never heard Revolution Nine then. :bigass:
I've heard almost all Beatles songs. And yes I've listened to revolution 9 and Tomorrow never knows too.

Flint1979

And another eerie Beatles song is Blue Jay Way. It's a George song from the Magical Mystery Tour about a street in LA.

roadman65

Stomp by Kirk Franklin.  He stole the first few lines that a Gospel Choir sings from Hana Barbera on the Jetsons.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

"Bridge" is probably what Harrison wanted to throw Clapton off of after the former stole the latter's woman.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hobsini2

Well since I have not given my 2 cents worth yet on this topic, here's a list of artists that make me want to violently throw up. There will be some "favorites" of other people here.

First and foremost, ANYTHING by Rush that has Geddy Lee vocals. They are great musically with their instruments but Geddy sings like someone put his balls in a vice grip.
Next, Radiohead except for Creep. The band to me in general is hawt garbage.
Beatles pre 1965. Too much teeny bopper bubble gum crap. Twist and Shout was the exception. Then Rubber Soul came out and it was a work of art.
Billy Ray Cyrus, take your Achy Breaky Heart and go drown somewhere. Take Miley with you.

Then there are some songs that have been covered that should never have been covered, let along the versions of some are just God awful. Case in point, Madonna covering Don McLean's American Pie. Not even fun bad. Just bad.

And as much as I love Sheryl Crow, her cover of Sweet Child of Mine is really bad. Don't make me like Axel Rose more than you Sheryl. Please?

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Flint1979

Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2021, 11:13:13 AM

"Bridge" is probably what Harrison wanted to throw Clapton off of after the former stole the latter's woman.
I highly doubt that. George and Eric were real good friends and continued to be even after that happened.

hbelkins

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2021, 01:32:46 PM
Well since I have not given my 2 cents worth yet on this topic, here's a list of artists that make me want to violently throw up. There will be some "favorites" of other people here.

First and foremost, ANYTHING by Rush that has Geddy Lee vocals. They are great musically with their instruments but Geddy sings like someone put his balls in a vice grip.

That high pitch (falsetto?) largely went away during the late 1980s. I don't know whether that was a combination of age taking its toll on his voice, the musical style changing, or both. Of course, I consider the late 80s to be their worst period musically (especially "Hold Your Fire" and "Power Windows") but by the time "Presto" came out, his voice was considerably lower. Check out how far "2112" was tuned down on the "Different Stages" album.

And his solo album is a far cry (pun intended) from the days of "Working Man" and "Anthem" and "Bastille Day" in terms of vocals.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Man people really hate that era of Rush, basically until Test for Echo came out. I don't mind it though I know it's not as good as the earlier or later stuff.

Takumi

The entire genre of country rap. Or c-rap.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

The worst song was that one rap song: ......And Then I High.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

There are plenty of songs I hate, but the worst is Fight for your right to party by Beastie Boys.  I find that obnoxious in many ways.

kurumi

Wow, we're exact opposites. The band and the song. But that's fine :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Anything Eminem sings (or rap I should say as he don't sing) is obnoxious.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 13, 2021, 10:58:47 PM
Quote from: bugo on October 08, 2014, 04:15:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 08, 2014, 10:58:20 AM
Speaking of Christian music, Stryper wasn't all that bad of a hair band.

They were pretty bad. No, they weren't as bad as Trixter or Firehouse, but they were worse than Poison and Warrant.
Funny. Stryper is one of my favorite bands of all time. They're actually still pumping out a great album every year, unlike most bands from their era.

When I was in 9th and 10th grade, I exclusively listened to pop metal like Poison and Def Leppard. I then started slowly getting into real heavy metal like Judas Priest and Megadeth. I graduated high school in 1992, which means Nirvana broke through during my senior year, so by the end of the year I had been fully exposed to alternative music, and it quickly became my favorite "genre" (it is a very broad umbrella term) even though I still liked a lot of metal. I was first exposed to alternative music by Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction and Faith No More.  I am in my late 40s, and I still listen to 90% of the music I listened to when I was 20, plus a lot more. The kids in the class ahead of me still listened to pop metal, while the kids in the class below me abandoned pop metal for alternative rock by the time they graduated. It happened fast. One day pop metal was extremely popular, and the next day, nobody would admit they ever liked it. I completely lost interest in pop metal once I started listening to Pearl Jam, the Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails. I then discovered Radiohead, Tori Amos, the Catherine Wheel, Failure, R.E.M., the Deftones, Tricky, Tool, The Prodigy, and many other bands. In the last 10 years, I've discovered Porcupine Tree, Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, and my current favorite, Deafheaven. I still listen to a lot of old school heavy metal like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Dio, Mercyful Fate, Celtic Frost and stuff like that. I never got into subgenres, but I like most thrash metal bands. The funny thing about thrash is that I heavily got into Metallica when I was about 16. They were my favorite band. I had all their CDs, several shirts, posters, a baseball cap and a necklace with their name and logo on them. My first concert was Metallica in Shreveport, LA on the "Metallica" album tour in 1992. James Hetfield was the first influence on my own guitar playing. But, I started to lose interest in the band not too long after graduating high school, and by the time they sued their fans, I wasn't that much of a fan. I still like other thrash bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies (when they were a thrash band), Testament, Exodus and many others. Much later on, when I was in college, I finally learned to appreciate Johnny Cash, and now I listen to him, Merle and Willie, but I have disdain for most country, including virtually everything post 1980 and I abhor pop country. I also don't like reggae, bluegrass, polka, nü metal, disco, ska, ragtime, radio pop music and jam band music. I'm a music snob and I'm not ashamed of it. If you don't think you have the best taste in music of anybody in the world, you're doing it wrong.

hobsini2

Quote from: kurumi on June 17, 2021, 01:03:41 AM

Wow, we're exact opposites. The band and the song. But that's fine :-)

I won't hold it against ya. :)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Avalanchez71

Just about anything from most of the 90's to about all of todays music.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 17, 2021, 08:14:04 AM
Just about anything from most of the 90's to about all of todays music.

I actually agree with you here.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: sparker on January 01, 2017, 03:31:42 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2016, 01:21:25 AM
The thing I hate about this song is how she repeatedly splits one- or two-syllable words across three notes. I feel like if you can't get the syllables to line up with the notes correctly, you should rewrite your lyrics.

You think Ms. Swift's polysyllabic tendencies are bad -- the grand master of all time was Steve Perry of Journey.  Listen to any of their albums 1976-82 for countless examples of that trait!

Quote from: J Route Z on December 23, 2016, 02:52:42 AM
It used to be "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. But for some reason, I can't stop listening to it. The guitar solo at the end is so badass, I just didn't really appreciate it before. I can't stand Like a Virgin and Vogue by Madonna.

OK, which version of Lindsey Buckingham's huge riff are you talking about -- the original studio album, where he simply repeated the basic signature E note for each beat for 9 measures (a nice feat in itself), or the 1997 live reunion album, where he did a tremolo-aided multi-note riff (another instant classic solo effort).  LB's one of the great, if underappreciated, guitar maestros -- just listen to his solo on "I'm So Afraid" (both studio & live versions).

Lindsey Buckingham is pretty good at the guitar.  His vocals are hit or miss.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 17, 2021, 08:45:21 AM
Quote from: sparker on January 01, 2017, 03:31:42 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 23, 2016, 01:21:25 AM
The thing I hate about this song is how she repeatedly splits one- or two-syllable words across three notes. I feel like if you can't get the syllables to line up with the notes correctly, you should rewrite your lyrics.

You think Ms. Swift's polysyllabic tendencies are bad -- the grand master of all time was Steve Perry of Journey.  Listen to any of their albums 1976-82 for countless examples of that trait!

Quote from: J Route Z on December 23, 2016, 02:52:42 AM
It used to be "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac. But for some reason, I can't stop listening to it. The guitar solo at the end is so badass, I just didn't really appreciate it before. I can't stand Like a Virgin and Vogue by Madonna.

OK, which version of Lindsey Buckingham's huge riff are you talking about -- the original studio album, where he simply repeated the basic signature E note for each beat for 9 measures (a nice feat in itself), or the 1997 live reunion album, where he did a tremolo-aided multi-note riff (another instant classic solo effort).  LB's one of the great, if underappreciated, guitar maestros -- just listen to his solo on "I'm So Afraid" (both studio & live versions).

Lindsey Buckingham is pretty good at the guitar.  His vocals are hit or miss.
I'm not sure if removing him from the band was a good idea. Then again he did leave the band back in "˜87 when he was trying to focus on his solo career. Of course he did come back for the reunion a decade later.

I'm more of a Peter Green fan, the band was his originally. I'm also a fan of Bob Welch, who paved the way for Buckingham-Nicks to join the band.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.