News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://www.adirondack.net/history/adirondack-northway/

Fond this interesting article about the Adirondack Northway as at the time NIMBYs gave the state a big fight into completing the freeway.  It took ten years and the connector to NY 9N was part of the main freeway until it was extended north of Lake George Village.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: fmendes on May 25, 2021, 08:24:47 AM
Quote from: empirestate on May 24, 2021, 12:59:04 PM
Quote from: fmendes on May 24, 2021, 10:20:13 AM
Why doesnt the State DOT fix the Cluster F**k on the Cross bronx at the Major Deegan even the smallest thing as to Allowing trucks to use the lower level of the George Washington bridge to prevent trucks from weaving across three lanes of traffic they could also stripe a solid line in the middle of the Washington bridge to guide vehicles coming from the major deegan weaving across 3 lanes and squeezing on the upper level

Primarily because the state DOT doesn't manage the George Washington Bridge.
well i know that what im talking about is the Bridge at the Highbridge interchange

The Alexander Hamilton Bridge? That doesn't have an upper and lower level.

fmendes

Quote from: empirestate on May 28, 2021, 05:52:19 PM
Why doesnt the State DOT fix the Cluster F**k on the Cross bronx at the Major Deegan even the smallest thing as to Allowing trucks to use the lower level of the George Washington bridge to prevent trucks from weaving across three lanes of traffic they could also stripe a solid line in the middle of the Washington bridge to guide vehicles coming from the major deegan weaving across 3 lanes and squeezing on the upper level

well i know that what im talking about is the Bridge at the Highbridge interchange

yeah ik that but why doesnt the state allow trucks on the lower level of the GWB which would stop the weaving on the alexander hamilton bridge where u have the choice of going to the upperlevel and lower lvl being that we have better security now

SignBridge

What better security? And anyway, it isn't the State that prohibits trucks on the lower level. It's the Port Authority of NY & NJ who runs the bridge and makes those rules. And I guess they don't care how inconvenient it is for trucks to have to weave on the Alexander Hamilton Bridge which is NY State's jurisdiction and so not the Port Authority's problem.

stevashe

Quote from: fmendes on June 01, 2021, 10:50:08 AM

yeah ik that but why doesnt the state allow trucks on the lower level of the GWB which would stop the weaving on the alexander hamilton bridge where u have the choice of going to the upperlevel and lower lvl being that we have better security now

Does the lower level even have enough clearance to fit trucks? It looks too low to me...

SignBridge

I believe trucks used to be allowed on the lower level. The restriction is a post 9/11 thing if I'm not mistaken.

storm2k

Quote from: SignBridge on June 01, 2021, 09:58:50 PM
I believe trucks used to be allowed on the lower level. The restriction is a post 9/11 thing if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, the full truck ban is a post 9/11 change. I think there were height restrictions, but at a minimum, box trucks etc were able to use the lower level before 2001.

ixnay

On page 94 of the Thruway thread vdeane stated that...

Quote from: vdeane on May 25, 2021, 04:29:03 PM
There are ... "entering Catskill Park" signs on US 209 and NY 28 heading west crossing the Thruway.

vdeane or anyone, can I find them using Google Street View?  What if I start from a point heading WB on the NY 28 bridge over the NYST?  Are they before or after the 28/209 clover leaf heading WB on 28/SB on 209?

ixnay

cl94

Quote from: ixnay on June 02, 2021, 11:00:13 AM

There are ... "entering Catskill Park" signs on US 209 and NY 28 heading west crossing the Thruway.

vdeane or anyone, can I find them using Google Street View?  What if I start from a point heading WB on the NY 28 bridge over the NYST?  Are they before or after the 28/209 clover leaf heading WB on 28/SB on 209?

ixnay

NY 28, US 209
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ixnay

Quote from: cl94 on June 02, 2021, 11:10:13 AM
Quote from: ixnay on June 02, 2021, 11:00:13 AM

ixnay

NY 28, US 209

Thanks.  I was envisioning NYSDOT signs.

ixnay

cl94

Quote from: ixnay on June 02, 2021, 11:22:48 AM

This is the standard sign used at park boundaries and, like the similar Adirondack Park sign, it is only used along state routes. Any metal signs you see at park boundaries are one-offs and nonstandard.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

ixnay

Quote from: cl94 on June 02, 2021, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: ixnay on June 02, 2021, 11:22:48 AM

This is the standard sign used at park boundaries and, like the similar Adirondack Park sign, it is only used along state routes. Any metal signs you see at park boundaries are one-offs and nonstandard.

That's right, I remember seeing that Adirondack Park sign on a Lake Placid vacation in the fall of 2006.

ixnay

fmendes

Quote from: stevashe on June 01, 2021, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: fmendes on June 01, 2021, 10:50:08 AM
trucks have more than enough clearence they were allowed on there until 9/11

Does the lower level even have enough clearance to fit trucks? It looks too low to me...

TheGrassGuy

Why is the NY 64 bridge over I-90 near Rochester like that?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

crispy93

I have two questions about this intersection on US 9 in Fishkill (Dutchess Co, just north of I-84): https://goo.gl/maps/4ue9B5n1X463UsV98

The ground-mounted NTOR sign says NO RIGHT ON RED whereas the overhead one says NO TURN ON RED. Was "No Right on Red" ever the standard or is this just a strange one-off sign?

Second, why is there an unlit red ball above the red right turn arrows?
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

lstone19

Quote from: crispy93 on June 17, 2021, 02:54:14 PM
I have two questions about this intersection on US 9 in Fishkill (Dutchess Co, just north of I-84): https://goo.gl/maps/4ue9B5n1X463UsV98

The ground-mounted NTOR sign says NO RIGHT ON RED whereas the overhead one says NO TURN ON RED. Was "No Right on Red" ever the standard or is this just a strange one-off sign?

To my knowledge, NTOR was always the standard. Some 43 years ago, I had a summer job for NJDOT where a bunch of college summer hires went around the state and inventoried all the non-state managed traffic signals with particular attention to where NTOR signs were placed (and as I recall, with instructions to note non-standard signs and non-standard placement). We were told that "NO TURN ON RED" was the only acceptable wording as including RIGHT might imply to some people that a left turn on red was OK at that intersection.

Since crispy93 mentioned there being signs both ground-mounted and overhead, I believe we were told the proper placement was on the right on the near side of the intersection. Signs across the intersection were not acceptable as they could be blocked by passing traffic.

Local to me in suburban Chicago, one town installed lit NTOR signs that only light in conjunction with the on-demand pedestrian signals. And they're on the signal arm across the intersection (https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0477054,-88.04541,3a,75y,177.71h,90.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sI_YHIti6vGuAGrbUcCH_2Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192). IMHO, totally unenforceable since I should only need to look in the standard location and once I note no sign, should not need to keep scanning the intersection to see if a NTOR has magically appeared.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Flash mode

Alps

Not here, but NO RIGHT ON RED does make sense in a state that allows lefts on red if the latter is allowed at a particular intersection.

jemacedo9

In the photo, the straight and left turn both are green.

My guesses are:
Right turn on red while straight and left are green are to protect the crosswalk and potential pedestrians.
When the left turn and straight movements are red, I'll guess that the red ball is lit above and instead of the right arrow red.

empirestate

Hmm. This is very near home but I've never noticed either of these things. (I don't often come out from that direction on Merritt.)

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: jemacedo9 on June 18, 2021, 08:09:07 AM

In the photo, the straight and left turn both are green.

My guesses are:
Right turn on red while straight and left are green are to protect the crosswalk and potential pedestrians.
When the left turn and straight movements are red, I'll guess that the red ball is lit above and instead of the right arrow red.

I have been at this particular intersection before and the DOT region where this is usually uses red ball for flash mode. Other regions in NY don't usually set up their turn signals like this.

Also look to the far right, there is a pedestrian walk sign with the red right arrow lit.

noelbotevera

Does anyone have details about the Albany Post Road?

From what I can glean on Wikipedia, it began in the Kingsbridge neighborhood of the Bronx, and ends at an extinct ferry at Rensselaer. It split from the Boston Post Road in Kingsbridge...even though the Boston Post Road ends at Third Avenue in the South Bronx.

Broadway is apparently its replacement, so any "Post Road" alignments are probably old Broadway alignments (but probably not US 9, since we're talking the 18th century here).

Here's my best guess of its route based on Google Maps:
-Independent alignment in Riverdale, The Bronx. Starts near the 242nd Street Station, runs up until West 260th Street. Interrupted by the HHP and a school. Can't find any traces in Yonkers, though US 9 and Post Road in the Bronx do line up
-US 9 from Yonkers to Crotonville (before it becomes the Croton Expressway). Broadway name ends in or south of Ossining.
-Independent through Croton-on-Hudson; cut off by the Croton River. Continues as NY 9A to its end in Peekskill
-Sprout Brook Road north of Peekskill. Independent, unimproved alignment from Sprout Brook to US 9 (south of NY 301)
-US 9 from south of NY 301 to NY 9H. Goes through Wappinger Falls and Poughkeepsie on main streets.
-NY 9H from US 9 to Kinderhook. Independent alignment through Kinderhook.
-US 9 from north of Kinderhook to NY 150. Independent alignment from NY 150 to US 9, goes around I-90 exit 11.
-US 9/US 20 to Rensselaer. No clue nor trace of any ferry in Rensselaer.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cl94

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 20, 2021, 06:59:54 PM
Does anyone have details about the Albany Post Road?

From what I can glean on Wikipedia, it began in the Kingsbridge neighborhood of the Bronx, and ends at an extinct ferry at Rensselaer. It split from the Boston Post Road in Kingsbridge...even though the Boston Post Road ends at Third Avenue in the South Bronx.

Broadway is apparently its replacement, so any "Post Road" alignments are probably old Broadway alignments (but probably not US 9, since we're talking the 18th century here).

Here's my best guess of its route based on Google Maps:
-Independent alignment in Riverdale, The Bronx. Starts near the 242nd Street Station, runs up until West 260th Street. Interrupted by the HHP and a school. Can't find any traces in Yonkers, though US 9 and Post Road in the Bronx do line up
-US 9 from Yonkers to Crotonville (before it becomes the Croton Expressway). Broadway name ends in or south of Ossining.
-Independent through Croton-on-Hudson; cut off by the Croton River. Continues as NY 9A to its end in Peekskill
-Sprout Brook Road north of Peekskill. Independent, unimproved alignment from Sprout Brook to US 9 (south of NY 301)
-US 9 from south of NY 301 to NY 9H. Goes through Wappinger Falls and Poughkeepsie on main streets.
-NY 9H from US 9 to Kinderhook. Independent alignment through Kinderhook.
-US 9 from north of Kinderhook to NY 150. Independent alignment from NY 150 to US 9, goes around I-90 exit 11.
-US 9/US 20 to Rensselaer. No clue nor trace of any ferry in Rensselaer.

Roughly correct. In many places, the original post road has been bypassed, with old sections generally named "Old Post Road". The ferry landing in Rensselaer has been gone for well over 100 years, with the first bridge opening no later than 1882.

empirestate

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 20, 2021, 06:59:54 PM

The unimprovement is intentional, as Philipstown has a program of historic roads that are maintained in a rustic state. Only the southernmost stretch (a couple hundred yards) and a tiny bit at the Travis Corners intersection are paved. This is to retain the character of the road, as it is the longest and least-recently bypassed old section of the Post Road, so if you want an idea of how it looked, that's the place to visit.

Most of the other town roads between NY 9D and Canopus Hollow are likewise unimproved, but the Post Road is the centerpiece.

Mergingtraffic

Still can't believe after the recent sign replacements in the area, the I-287 mainline and I-684 signs weren't replaced.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.