News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Yankee Jims Bridge

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 15, 2024, 11:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The Yankee Jims Bridge is a structure located on the North Fork American River of Placer County.  What is now Yankee Jims Road was purchased by Placer County in 1906 from a local mining company.  The original bridge along Yankee Jims Road failed in 1930 and was replaced by the current 204-foot-long suspension span.  The Yankee Jims Bridge was added to the Caltrans Historic Bridge program in 1985 and presently has a sufficiency rating of 0.0.  Placer County is presently planning to replace the Yankee Jims Bridge with a modernized arch span.  The preferred design alternative would preserve the current Yankee Jims Bridge as a pedestrian structure. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/02/yankee-jims-bridge.html?m=1

cl94

Easily one of the best minor bridges in the state. Fun road to get there, decent amount of parking, the bridge itself is cool, nice scenery, what more can you ask for? And I'm very happy that Placer County will be keeping it for pedestrians.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

FredAkbar

So can anyone just drive across it? That 3 ton weight limit is ominous. If a large vehicle carrying a heavy family drove across, would the bridge collapse??

Max Rockatansky

Probably not, I guarantee it gets that much weight regularly during summer season given it is a popular swimming hole.

pderocco

Thanks for pointing this out. It's now on my bucket list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.