US 50 bypass of Loose Creek, MO

Started by ModernDayWarrior, November 04, 2015, 09:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModernDayWarrior

Here are some photos I took of the new four-lane section of US 50 in Missouri, bypassing the town of Loose Creek. This is just east of the junction with US 63 and about fifteen miles east of Jefferson City. I actually had no idea this was being constructed, much less that it was finished, so it caught me by surprise and I grabbed my cellphone to snap some pictures as soon as I could. Sorry for the low quality of some of them, as I was in a bit of a hurry (wish I would have had time to backtrack and get some pics from the other direction).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135525684@N04/albums/72157660066777598

oscar

Cool photos! Thanx for posting.

Is the new four-lane section signed as vanilla US 50, or as Bypass US 50 with the old route remaining as US 50? (Looks like the former, from photo #11, but I can't figure out where it was taken.) If US 50 moved to the bypass, is the old route signed as Business US 50?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ModernDayWarrior

The new four-lane section is signed as US 50. I see now that Google Maps has the new route marked as Bypass US 50 and the old alignment labeled as mainline US 50, but I think that must be wrong. I do not recall seeing "Bypass" shields anywhere along the route. Maybe those were temporary designations while the new alignment was under construction?

The old alignment, the two-lane route through Loose Creek, is actually signed as Route A. The first and second pics show where the old route splits off to the left. (In case it wasn't clear, these pics were taken going eastbound. The overpass in the second pic takes you over the westbound lanes and to the old alignment.)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tom958

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on November 04, 2015, 10:32:09 PMThe old alignment, the two-lane route through Loose Creek, is actually signed as Route A. The first and second pics show where the old route splits off to the left. (In case it wasn't clear, these pics were taken going eastbound. The overpass in the second pic takes you over the westbound lanes and to the old alignment.)

Yes,I could see that there was a bridge over one roadway and not the other. What a strange arrangement! I would've looked it up on Google Maps even if you hadn't said anything about it. I'd forgotten about the interchange at 50 and 63, too.

Thanks for the photos!

Highway63

This un-clinches US 50 in Missouri for me.

Iowa also has a situation where the eastbound lane has a left-turn and the westbound lanes go over: the west end of Business 30 in Toledo. Same reason, too (where the bypass meets the existing alignment).

oscar

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on January 25, 2016, 11:48:53 PM

And un-clinches US 50 nationwide for me (not the first time I've had a un-clinch of a long cross-country or north-south US route).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ModernDayWarrior

Quote from: oscar on January 26, 2016, 09:08:14 PM
Quote from: Jeff Morrison on January 25, 2016, 11:48:53 PM

And un-clinches US 50 nationwide for me (not the first time I've had a un-clinch of a long cross-country or north-south US route).

It actually re-clinched US 50 in MO for me, even though it was not planned. I wasn't aware of this new alignment until I happened to start driving it!

Ingsoc75

Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

ModernDayWarrior

jbnati27

Nice pics. You had a beautiful day!

ModernDayWarrior

I definitely appreciate all the compliments on my pics. I was worried they wouldn't turn out well, because this was basically my first time trying to snap road pictures while driving - and I took them with my phone, no less. I must have just gotten really lucky. :D

And yes, I was also lucky that that particular road trip was on a gorgeous day. I may have to take another road trip to snap more pics on the next bright and sunny day, which, knowing our weather, might not be until March.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.