News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Roadgeekteen

High in the low 80s and mostly sunny.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CoreySamson

Oppressive heat and humidity this weekend. Maybe working outside yesterday wasn't a good idea.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

I am in Palm Springs through Thursday. Apparently it will be peaking in the low-120s this week. I have never been in heat like this before. Even today's 109 reading was a first-in-a-while for me.

ET21

Did get some rain over the weekend, a good dent but still running 5-10 inch deficits across the area. Long term pattern suggests a more active period next week so some more rain chances hopefully
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

Ongoing heat wave across the southwest US including here in SLC. We hit 101 yesterday and 103 today, both of which were daily records and the earliest ever occurrences of those temperatures. Tomorrow's forecast high is 105, which would tie the all-time June record high set on two days back in 2013. Unsurprisingly, an excessive heat warning is currently in effect.

Bruce

Unusually humid and muggy, thanks to a storm system from Hawaii.

We're looking to join the heat wave with temps in the 80s by the weekend. Not looking forward to that.

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

US 89

Salt Lake City reached a high temperature of 107 degrees yesterday. That not only shattered the old record for the day (102, set in 1974), it also broke the record for all of June (105, set on two days in 2013) ... and it ties the all-time high, set in 1960 and again in 2002. Several other stations in the area also set new monthly or all-time record highs.

Today will be a welcome day of "relief", with a forecast high of... 98. Usually I'd be complaining about that, but the last couple days have really put a new perspective on things and I'll take any cooldown I can get. Highs will be in the upper 90s-100 range the next few days, and a heat advisory is in effect through Friday. After that temperatures will drop again into the mid 90s for the weekend with maybe a shot at a thunderstorm or two, although those would be more likely to produce wind and lightning than any sort of measurable rainfall (as if our fire season wasn't bad enough already).

Bruce

High temps map from yesterday, with about 116 million Americans over 90F:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1404806996772241417

tolbs17

Looks like it's game over for Phoenix, AZ.

jakeroot

It was 122 yesterday here in Palm Desert. The bloody pool couldn't even keep up. My Pepsi was like coffee after a short while.

I have felt humidity and high temperatures. This was worse. Dry heat is more comfortable, but not at these temperatures. This is like burning heat.

webny99

Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2021, 01:46:36 PM

[img]

Wow, looks like upstate NY and the Pacific Northwest are the only locations that didn't crack 70 degrees!

NWI_Irish96

It's an unseasonably cool 73 here today.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bruce

Quote from: webny99 on June 16, 2021, 03:48:17 PM
Quote from: Bruce on June 16, 2021, 01:46:36 PM

[img]

Wow, looks like upstate NY and the Pacific Northwest are the only locations that didn't crack 70 degrees!

We did hit 70 in the Seattle area today and are climbing up to 87 on Monday.

Roadgeekteen

Scott5114

My friend in Riverside CA was complaining about the weather there, so I checked it as well...

...It's somewhat nicer there, but NWS San Diego deemed that as deserving an excessive heat warning, while NWS Norman is like "nope, y'all are good", which made me laugh.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Wouldn't it have been two hours earlier there?

Also: is your point that an excessive heat warning should be issued for Norman? Or that Riverside is not deserving?

Scott5114

I think it's interesting/funny that different NWS offices seem to have different standards for what qualifies as "excessive heat", such that two places can get more or less the same weather but one gets a warning but the other doesn't. I don't remember seeing excessive heat advisories here with a HX of less than 100°.

And yes, the time shown there is Central time, so it would be 89° at 11:40am there and 91° at 1:40pm here. Though I am not really sure if that means the high there is going to be higher than it is here or not. Here, absent a front or anything, the temperature tends to shoot up to near the high for the day in the morning and stay relatively constant (perhaps warming one or two degrees; it's now 4:30pm here and it's only warmed to 93°) between then and sundown. I'm not sure if Riverside follows a similar pattern or not.

jakeroot

From my experience, the NWS offices do indeed issue warnings relative to the regular weather. Anything over 90 is likely to get an excessive heat watch here in Seattle, and over 95 a warning. But places east of the mountains (Yakima, Tri-Cities) would not get a warning at that temp, otherwise the whole summer would be a permanent heat warning/watch.

And really, that makes sense. I don't need to be warned of normal weather. Highlighting an approaching abnormality is certainly the primary point. That said, it seems odd for Riverside to get an excessive heat warning for mid-90s. The IE gets into the 90s quite frequently in summer (most if not all days). Although in fairness to the NWS office, the average high in June is not 90s.

Out west, peak temperature is normally 2.30pm to 5.30pm. I recall this not being the case out east. I really don't understand why.

When I was in Palm Springs/Palm Desert earlier this week, it was in the 80s for my morning walk around 7.30am, and only peaked near/into 120 quite late in the afternoon.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 17, 2021, 05:33:45 PM
I think it's interesting/funny that different NWS offices seem to have different standards for what qualifies as "excessive heat", such that two places can get more or less the same weather but one gets a warning but the other doesn't. I don't remember seeing excessive heat advisories here with a HX of less than 100°.

Different offices absolutely should have different standards. If the temperature were to reach 100 degrees in Seattle, people there are going to be far less prepared for heat of that magnitude than people in a place like Las Vegas. It's no different than how it takes less snow to trigger a winter storm warning in the southeast than it does up north.

As far as heat warnings and advisories go: a lot of NWS offices have hard criteria for temperature and/or heat index (for example, in Atlanta a warning requires a temp over 110 or heat index over 105, while an advisory requires a temp over 103 or heat index over 105). But in the past couple years, the Western Region has moved to something called HeatRisk, which is essentially a calculation that takes into account several factors such as:

-How much higher than normal temps are forecast to be
-Time of year (early season heat is worse because people aren't prepared for it)
-How long the heat will last (is it just one hot day, or several days in a row with little overnight relief)
-Whether temperatures will be high enough to cause heat illnesses

The calculation does not directly account for humidity (though that's not much of a loss in the western US, where humidity is usually low enough that a heat index value is not even defined). It spits out a color-coded value that essentially represents how bad the heat should be while also accounting for local normals. And the cool part is that Western Region offices use those for their heat alerts. HeatRisk values in the orange to red range warrant a heat advisory, while red to magenta triggers an excessive heat warning.

In addition: even accounting for local normals, the health risks caused by even ordinary summer heat in most of the desert southwest would probably warrant heat advisories most days of the summer. As a result, no advisories are issued for these lower-elevation zones.

Roadgeekteen

Scott5114

For some reason I decided it was a good idea to go out in this and try to push a wheelbarrow loaded with gravel up a hill for 500 feet. I did not have a good time!

And germane to the previous discussion, no excessive heat warning here either. So a HX of 100° won't do it. I'm a little curious how high it has to get for NWS Norman to issue one (I know they do issue them sometimes!).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.